PDA

View Full Version : Power steering pump sounds like its going to exlode!

woodshed
19th December 2010, 04:04 PM
I have a 1996 3.7 2wd code AEW.

As far as I can tell it is just basic steering - no servotronic.

Firstly - the power steering appears to work perfectly other than the noise.

When I start the car up there is a terrible noise coming from the area of the power steering pump / aircon pump. I don't know whether it is cavitation or bearing noise. Eventually the noise goes away.

The belt looks ok. The filter is clean and the fluid is new.

I had the same problem to a minor degree before, and changed the pump for another from a breakers. All well for a couple of months. Now the noise is back and worse. It seems particularly bad when on full lock.

It could be that the replacement is as bad as the original!

Any other suggestions?

Martin

ainarssems
19th December 2010, 04:55 PM
it could be that new pump is going bad as well or it could be that noise is coming from aircon or relay rollers. is the new fluid from the dealers? if not then coulb be wrong fluid which causes pump to wear out fast

Conan_the_Librarian
19th December 2010, 05:02 PM
I'm going to say air is getting in. Which may mean that you didn't have a duff pump in the first place! :(

It will be, if it is a leak, on the supply side from the cooler to the reservoir or reservoir to the pump. It could be a split at the jubilee clip or a pin prick in the pipe.

Look to see if there is any fluid at the end of the pipe, clean off and recheck.

The noise is worse on lock as that is when the pump works hardest and goes after a few seconds because it is bled into the reservoir.

I could be wrong! :o

PsYcHe
19th December 2010, 09:22 PM
Also check the filter in the power steering reservoir. Mine was making some scary noises, and after checking it all, a good clean of the filter made the noise go away. Basically it was so clogged that the pump was cavitating.

topgolfer1
20th December 2010, 07:51 PM
Hi,

My previous A8,1998 2.8 sport developed a steering noise on full lock,but only for the first initial turns from cold,after a few turns, noise went,but over a period of time the noise got louder and louder and lasted longer.

I used to cringe on reversing from the garage and then turn the wheel because it sounded like a very dry,very worn rattly bearing.

I also changed the pump from A8 parts,hey presto problem gone.I remember at the time of ordering,they did say dont sell many of these,you sure its gone.But after removal there was lots of play in the old pump compared to the replacement one

Hope you get it sorted+++.

woodshed
22nd December 2010, 05:57 PM
Thanks for the replies so far.

It does fit the symptoms of cavitation but when I examined the filter, I don't quite understand what is happening.

There is a small hole at the bottom, which when i put my finger over it and fill the centre means the thing will hold fluid - ie the gauze seems to be blocked.

But when the engine is running I would expect the fluid in the middle to be sucked in then air - hence the cavitation, but the level stays the same. The pump seems to be getting fluid despite the 'blocked' filter.

I dont know how the inside of the reservoir is designed. The pump runs if I remove the filter and the noise seems better.

Can I run the car without the filter until I can get another one?

Martin

PsYcHe
23rd December 2010, 11:29 AM
You should be able to clean the filter.. Can't remember what I used... think it may have been brake cleaner.

You 'could' run it without the filter, but there's more chance of crap flying around the system.

woodshed
20th January 2011, 06:38 PM
+++ After putting another power steering pump in the noise was still there. You can imagine - the swearbox got a filling! I decided it might be the fanbelt and set about changing it. The one I took off looked perfect.

So no progress.

When I got the pump from A8 parts (great service) I got an A/C compressor just in case that was the problem. Because I did not want to lose the gas and had no Idea about how or how much oil to put in I was a bit reluctant.

After studying the electronic manual I was given, there are a few servicing jobs you can do on the compressor without fully disconnecting it. There is a fair amount of play in the pipes that allows you to unbolt the compressor and lower it down. While up on the ramps it wouldn't reach the floor but I used a toolbox underneath and it was perfect. When I compared the 2 compressors, the magnetic-clutch bearing was a bit loose on the one on the car.

It was a simple job to swap over the pulley and bearing from the spare I had.

Bolting it back up was easy and no re-gas required!

After a nervous start - noise now gone!

If you get the same noise you might want to give this a try.

Martin

Oli18
21st January 2011, 08:38 PM
Great result! :)

Any chance of a few piccies for your write up?

Oli

Amanda
22nd January 2011, 01:14 AM
A late reply but if the fluid is low it can make funny noises...........worth checking first and topping up