PDA

View Full Version : D3 exhaust

satlink
18th January 2011, 08:34 PM
Guys,

4.2 petrol D3. exhaust making very throaty sound today. Should I pop it to the stealers or can a national chain of exhausts and tyres help out....

I took it in to an independant garage on the way home, they said it could be a 'flexible' pipe and the price to replace could be £1000..... thats scary money.

Anyone replaced an exhaust on a D3?

PsYcHe
19th January 2011, 09:16 AM
Not done one, but for that money, you could get a custom job fitted (and probably still have a huge whack left in the bank!)

The_Laird
19th January 2011, 03:05 PM
Where abouts are you? Quite a few guys have had custom exhausts and could probably recommend someone in your area

PsYcHe
19th January 2011, 05:33 PM
<smartarse>He's in Aberdeen :) (or at least it says so in the top right)</smartarse>

did you get a custom job done, or was it just someplace you went for cats around here?

satlink
19th January 2011, 08:18 PM
Hi, thanks, yes in aberdeen, well 30 miles south of.... but travel in on the a90 every working day. the 8 is perfect for the job come rain, snow, fog or even sunshine.

as for the exhaust, the car is in for a look see at an independant garage, they are ringing me thursday to let me know what the problem might be and what it might cost.

Guy thinks it could be a problem related to large pothole on the A90.....

The_Laird
20th January 2011, 11:34 AM
I just had sports cats fitted (much cheaper than standard and sound better too!), but the guys did a good job and they do fit custom exhausts. It was Semtech Motors in Kirkintilloch - a bit of a trck from Aberdeen though.

PsYcHe
20th January 2011, 12:18 PM
Bit of a journey, but if it saves a few hundred quidlets...

Conan_the_Librarian
20th January 2011, 01:06 PM
And its a drive in an 8! :)

The_Laird
20th January 2011, 03:50 PM
Not that much fun on the A90 - there are cameras all the way

satlink
22nd January 2011, 02:44 PM
... picked it up from the garage Thursday night. Guy had done a great job of welding and clamping a new bit of pipe between the 'flexible' pipe attached to the cat and the rest of the exhaust.

he thought I had proberbly hit a lump of debris or maybe compacted ice which had damaged the exhaust pipe.

anyway, its all done and dusted, not sure of the price yet but will be a fraction of the cost the stealers would have wanted.

guy suggested the stealers may have wanted to replace the flexible pipe, posibley a new cat and the new straight through section, a four figure sum.

overall very happy with the result.