PDA

View Full Version : Think Bubbles

Trophy885
29th January 2011, 08:31 AM
Dear All,
what could I mean??? Excess of Aero? Or perhaps the moonwalkers chimpanzee????
No, I'm talking about my usual bain, My '8!!
Tried unsuccessfully to start it last night, (cold again!!) inserted the key in the ignition, span emgine over, fired, stopped, and then a bubbling noise from the rear..
Could anyone tell me what, if anything might be under the battery?? Possibly getting water logged, maybe vacuum pump for cent locking??
Many thanks Guys'n'Gals
Best Regards,
Steve

Conan_the_Librarian
29th January 2011, 02:20 PM
Hmmmm. I'm now starting to think fuelling issues.
To test that the fuel pump is working, have someone put their head in the boot as you turn the ignition on. They should hear the fuel pump run for a few seconds as it builds pressure.

After that there are a series of tests you can run to check that the pump is working properly. I'll see if I can find them. There on one of the forums somewhere.......

Trophy885
29th January 2011, 02:59 PM
Hi Conan,
I'm not sold on that especially, although your suggestion is viable!
I can confirm that the pump pressurises the system and switches off when it has done so.
I spoke to an auto electrician earlier, it appears that something I neglected to mention was that prior to this prob I DID jump the A8, the auto sparks seems to think I may have in advertently damaged the immob/clock set, and has advised me to get a s/h set, but trying to get hold of A8parts on a saturday is proving difficult.....! (Ian, I believe??)
Best regards,
Steve

Conan_the_Librarian
29th January 2011, 03:06 PM
They bon't open on a Saturday. odes did it have please?

Trophy885
29th January 2011, 03:15 PM
Odes?= Mileage? car has does about 81K, No worries, I'll be on the phone to the main man on Mon am!!!
Many Thanks Conan.
Best Regards,
Steve

Conan_the_Librarian
29th January 2011, 03:16 PM
Sorry I meant codes as in VagCom? Silly spulin on my part.....

Trophy885
29th January 2011, 03:20 PM
18058, I think, missing message from Instrument cluster is the main one, and low volts @ terminal 30, if thats indicative??
Many Thanks,
Steve

PsYcHe
29th January 2011, 03:22 PM
Could it be the battery? Have you looked at it as I beleive terminal 30 isthe general +ve supply

Trophy885
29th January 2011, 03:25 PM
Hi PsYcHe,
remotely possible, but was new(Bosch) at last Easter. Also, no probs cranking the motor over, big lights etc, just no continued ignition!!
Many Thanks
Best Regards,
Steve

Conan_the_Librarian
29th January 2011, 03:39 PM
From the Ross Tech Wiki

18058/P1650/005712 - Powertrain Data Bus: Missing Message from Instrument Cluster

Possible Symptoms

Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) ON

Possible Causes

Fuse(s) faulty
Databus Wiring and/or Connector(s) from/to Instrument Cluster (J285) faulty
Instrument Cluster (J285) faulty

Possible Solutions

Check Fuse(s)
Check Databus Wiring and/or Connector(s) from/to Instrument Cluster (J285)
Check/Replace Instrument Cluster (J285)

Check Measuring Value Blocks (MVB)

If you have VagCom try and output test on the instrument panel and see if it shows anything.

Also possible that the ECU has got wet and a bit of corrosion on one of the pins. a quick strip of the ECU loom plugs would show this.

Trophy885
29th January 2011, 05:06 PM
Hi Conan,
many thanks for that, hoping to go through the fuse foard tomorrow, have checked ECU under bonnet, dry as dirt, will endeavour to gain access to full VAG com, but the more I think about it, the more likely a s/h cluster is on the horizon due to me sort of half spiking it, (blooming amateurs!!)
All that failed to function yesterday(last time I drove it) was the display for radio, with nothing being disturbed.
It has, through the last week, been showing no fuel, (approx 1/3rd tank on board), and silly speed warning pops up at 30/35mph, so I think I've probably damaged the cluster.
Best Regards to all contributors,
Steve

Singh
29th January 2011, 05:17 PM
I have full vag com, all types genuine and can even do D3s +++

tonupkid
31st January 2011, 09:11 PM
They bon't open on a Saturday. odes did it have please?

Odes!!! Poetry on an Audi... Now there's a challenge