PDA

View Full Version : Wipers not returning to standard position

Oli18
5th February 2011, 05:19 PM
Hi,

So, i've had an issue with my wipers for about a week or 2 now.

In a nutshell, they've forgotten where they need to stop.

Sometimes it's in the normal position at the bottom of the windscreen, other times they finish wiping and stop right in my face.

I've got an MOT due next week and this is a clear fail.

Am i looking at a complete replacement of the wiper assembly or is there an individual part i can fix/replace that i should be looking for?

Many thanks in advance.

Oli

PsYcHe
5th February 2011, 07:18 PM
Could be the mechanism is on its way out, I had a similar issue.. A vigorous spraying of WD40 around the linkages seemed to sort it out.

Oli18
5th February 2011, 07:30 PM
Could be the mechanism is on its way out, I had a similar issue.. A vigorous spraying of WD40 around the linkages seemed to sort it out.

Mine doesn't feel like it's mechanical as much as electrical as it has no issue actually wiping if that makes sense. Your issue sounds more as though they were almost seizing...is that a fair assesment? Just trying to see if we're talking about the same issue.

I was also wondering how many of you have the rubber cover on the wiper motor? (Part 2A)....i know i didn't have a cover and just wondering if that is something i should be looking out for also.

Thanks again!

Oli

http://www.vagcat.com/p/B152/955100.png

PsYcHe
6th February 2011, 10:20 AM
I know what you mean.. mine would sometimes stop in the middle, or sometimes not go on anything less than full speed, so could be a different issue.