PDA

View Full Version : Locking Nut

Singh
13th February 2009, 09:00 PM
So I loose my locking nut key, I counted that it was the 16 star one so ordered both possible ones from http://www.zakparts.com who have been excellent by the way. But neither of the KAMAX or ABC 16 stud ones fit my locking nut, I tried Audi, who tried nearly every locking nut thingi on the '8 using the Audi master set they even let me have the one they 'thought' fitted free of charge :) But when I tried it at home, it did not fit in any of the locking key thingis, it is indeed 16 stud the same as is in the the car but it just turns when I try to loosen it on every wheel, so it is not secure if I said that right. I was hoping people could let me know what it says on the back of there locking keys. I just want to know if A8, particularly prefacelifts had KAMAX or ABC locking nuts, is anyone has the 16 star nuts could you let me know what number it says after ABC, the one I have been supplied with says ABC 5. I really am stumped and wanted to get my new conti sports and brake pads on this weekend, plus the annual ABS sensor clean is needed!
Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks to everyone in advance.

Conan_the_Librarian
14th February 2009, 06:50 AM
Singh,

If you cant find the proper key, Halfrauds sell a wheel thieves kit that has a left hand thread on the inside of a socket. You put the socket over the locking nut and it cuts into the outside of the nut and undoes it.

Singh
14th February 2009, 10:27 AM
Thanks for your reply Mike, is this what your mean? http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=10151&partNumber=696823&langId=-1

I will give it a go, otherwise will get back to Audi.

Conan_the_Librarian
14th February 2009, 11:50 AM
Yes that's the one. Take your 8 to halfrauds and buy the kit to make sure that it has the right sized socket. I used one on a Renault recently only to find that of the 5 sockets in the set I had none fit! :(

Singh
14th February 2009, 01:25 PM
Audi supplied me with the right one in the end, again free of charge. Thanks for your help Mike +++

harpersimon
25th February 2009, 02:17 PM
handy to know where to get some though - I need to get a spare / replacement for my car as the orignal one is looking a little chewed these days and tends to get stuck in the bolt! (not handy when the recesses in the sport wheels are so deep!)

Singh
25th February 2009, 03:48 PM
If its ABC 5 you need I'll post you out my spare... +++

harpersimon
12th March 2009, 11:52 AM
Thanks dude but mine appears to be KAMAX type, flat raised edges. Am in the process of trying to order from that website you quoted at the mo..

harpersimon
12th March 2009, 12:09 PM
All ordered - seemed straight forward on mine (although not saying much till it arrives) - Kamax type don't have any lettering on them, just a ref number stamped in the bottom so I have ordered the appropriate one - and we'll see

Simon Wallwork
23rd October 2009, 08:16 PM
I had a big 'ol problem on my last A8. Could not get the lockers off for love nor money!

Plainly looking at a giant problem should a flat occur.

After giant f*cking about got 3 off, but no 4 would not be moved. (that effort used up two of the Audi locking undo tools- boy are they soft!)

Even went to a pro wheel guy who had the pukka, hardened version of the girls tool you get at Halfords. Defeated.

After all the tricks I could think of (incuding welding and grinding big chunks of stainless), I gave up and had the ******* drilled out at my local garage.

Took them hours!

Motto? Stick some coppa slip or similar on and don't let tyre fitters dog them up!

E.L.M.O
9th November 2009, 10:53 PM
Ive gone and lost mine :-(

going to pop along to Audi Thursday or Friday to try and get hold of one

E.L.M.O
24th November 2009, 09:55 PM
Got my locking wheel nit for £14.

Now for the brakes on Thursday morning, and MOT Thursday evening!