PDA

View Full Version : How can I tell if it's a Final Edition model??

James7
22nd May 2011, 12:44 PM
Guys

I was looking at this S8 on Pistonheads and it's been sold as a Final Edition model:

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2842734.htm

Thanks to Jayzee posting the ad on Spotted Online, IT and Singh both confirmed that it wasn't an FE model.

So what things should I be looking out for to confirm it is a FE model??

Easiest thing is it post ad on here and for you guys to tell me!!

Thanks

James

Singh
22nd May 2011, 12:57 PM
The low spec ones are finals :D

Released March 4, but effective February 28, 2002, Audi has announced two special edition versions of the S8 model as part of the run-out activity of the A8 and S8 model ranges.
The two special editions are available in two colours, the Ebony Black version priced GBP 58,815 and the Avus Silver version priced GBP 59,815, both including delivery.

Additional items for new special editions:
- 8.5x20" highly polished 9-Spoke alloy wheels with 255/35 ZR20 tyres
- a boot mounted six-disc CD autochanger
- a BOSE audio-system
- xenon plus bi-xenon headlights
- telephone preparation with hands free function
- TV and Teletext reception
- coloured enhanced Leather pack II (seat upholstery, lower dashboard & centre console sides in Fine Nappa leather from quattro GmbH)
- coloured Controls pack (handbrake & gear lever in Fine Nappa leather)
- coloured leather sports steering wheel with tiptronic transmission controls
- dark Myrtle wood fascia, centre console & door trim

Upholstery options for new special editions:
- Avus Silver - Brilliant Red or Mauve leather upholstery & controls
- Ebony Black - Brilliant Red or Silver Grey leather upholstery & controls

Released April 10, but effective April 5, 2002, Audi has announced the availability of further S8 Special Editions due to the success of initial versions.

Audi has added two new colour-ways to the S8 Special Edition range:
- Misano Red with Silver Grey leather upholstery
- Aqua Blue with Morning Dew leather upholstery

The S8 special Edition in Aqua Blue, is priced GBP 58,815 and the Misano Red edition, priced at GBP 59,815, both including delivery.

James7
22nd May 2011, 01:07 PM
Many thanks Amar.

Any chance of you having a look at this post for me and giving me your expertise:

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3019

Thanks

James

IT
22nd May 2011, 04:35 PM
To summarise Amars post, skipping all the ins and outs, fundamentally a genuine Final Edition model only came in 6 colour schemes:

- Avus Silver - Brilliant Red leather upholstery & controls
- Avus Silver - Mauve (purple/violet) leather upholstery & controls
- Ebony Black - Silver Grey leather upholstery & controls
- Ebony Black - Brilliant Red leather upholstery & controls
- Misano Red - Silver Grey leather upholstery & controls
- Aqua Blue - Morning Dew leather upholstery & controls

If its any other colour, it isnt a final edition, or the colours have been changed.

Note Avus silver is a bluey sort of silver, quite distinct. But note Avus silver paint only came with Red or Mauve leather, not black, so any car with Silver paint and ordinary leather aint a final...

BTW, imo opinion, the best combo out of the lot has got to be James' Ebony Black with Silver Grey ...... (no, not platinum Amar, I confess I was wrong)

+++

James7
22nd May 2011, 04:42 PM
Is this just a normal silver colour S8:

http://www.s2000-4u.co.uk/audi-s8-quattro-4.2-tiptronic-in-hampshire-1509572

James

IT
22nd May 2011, 04:45 PM
No, thats Avus silver, which is what makes it all so odd.. !! It has many signs of being a final edition, including a valid colour combo.

The number plate *could* be a cherished one, so it maybe could be a 2002 car, but it should have a phone aerial at the rear, which it doesnt. That could have been removed I suppose, but its still a bit odd to me....

Adrian E
22nd May 2011, 05:25 PM
defo check that one with Audi for spec info

jayzee
22nd May 2011, 07:36 PM
Is this just a normal silver colour S8:

http://www.s2000-4u.co.uk/audi-s8-quattro-4.2-tiptronic-in-hampshire-1509572

James

I'd say that is a special order with optional interior/exterior combo specified by the first owner in 2001.

ETA - "OV" is Milton Keynes reg mark, so an ex-Audi Head Office car, or some sort of demonstrator for the up-and-coming Final Edition? Just a thought... Bi-Xenons unusual for that year too.

It is so difficult to tell from the blurry interior photo, but I'm damn sure that the gearbox on that one has sports mode.

James7
22nd May 2011, 09:07 PM
It is so difficult to tell from the blurry interior photo, but I'm damn sure that the gearbox on that one has sports mode.

What am I looking out for if its got sports mode? Is it the button on the right handside of the gear knob? Probably an easy question but I'm still on a steep learning curve with regards to my S8 knowledge:)

James

James7
22nd May 2011, 09:13 PM
The number plate *could* be a cherished one, so it maybe could be a 2002 car, but it should have a phone aerial at the rear, which it doesnt. That could have been removed I suppose, but its still a bit odd to me....

Is this the phone aerial on the passenger side of the boot?

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/largepic.asp?i=2767845&noPics=9&make=AUDI&model=S8&imgsrv=1&current=5

James

IT
22nd May 2011, 09:15 PM
Yup... All FE's will have one as they had the GSM hands free phone prep as standard....

briang9
22nd May 2011, 09:32 PM
What am I looking out for if its got sports mode? Is it the button on the right handside of the gear knob? Probably an easy question but I'm still on a steep learning curve with regards to my S8 knowledge:)

James

if its got S mode it will be the last position in the gate ie the one furthest back from the engine, below the D position, the button on the right of the knob is what you push in when changing the position of the selector, ohh and S is good, very good!!

HTH

cheers

PsYcHe
23rd May 2011, 08:24 AM
S-mode is good fun, but not as much as tip :)

Adrian E
23rd May 2011, 08:30 AM
What S mode looks like on gear selector:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/BX16VALVE/Audi%20S8/P1010575.jpg

On earlier models you have 4-3-2-(1?) gear selectors which is about as useful as a chocolate teapot when you have tiptronic control on the steering wheel

James7
23rd May 2011, 12:52 PM
Guys

Thanks for the S8 school lesson on the triptronic box!!

James

PsYcHe
23rd May 2011, 03:15 PM
The 4-3-2 can actually be handy as it stops the box going above that gear, but really only any use if you're towing and need engine braking going downhill :)

Architex_mA8tey
23rd May 2011, 05:13 PM
The 4-3-2 can actually be handy as it stops the box going above that gear, but really only any use if you're towing and need engine braking going downhill :)

or in snow if you want to control the wheels from spinning! ie use a higher gear

IT
23rd May 2011, 05:20 PM
or in snow if you want to control the wheels from spinning! ie use a higher gear

Thats true for most cars, as you can force the gearbox into 2nd for a steady set off, but doesnt work on the A8, it'll start in first no matter what, so the gearshift is a 'max' setting rather than an absolute one...

Makes it all the more pointless !!

James7
23rd May 2011, 05:58 PM
Guys

Is sports mode an optional extra or was it standard on the S8 and from what year onwards??

Thanks

James

PsYcHe
23rd May 2011, 06:15 PM
It was standard from 2001 if I remember rightly, but it really depends...

I wouldn't worry about it, you're better with tiptronic anyway.

Architex_mA8tey
23rd May 2011, 06:52 PM
Thats true for most cars, as you can force the gearbox into 2nd for a steady set off, but doesnt work on the A8, it'll start in first no matter what, so the gearshift is a 'max' setting rather than an absolute one...

Makes it all the more pointless !!

so presumably tiptronic wont let you start in second either? lol useful!

The_Laird
23rd May 2011, 07:15 PM
But you can have tiptronic and sports! :)

James7
23rd May 2011, 07:16 PM
The low spec ones are finals

Released March 4, but effective February 28, 2002, Audi has announced two special edition versions of the S8 model as part of the run-out activity of the A8 and S8 model ranges.
The two special editions are available in two colours, the Ebony Black version priced GBP 58,815 and the Avus Silver version priced GBP 59,815, both including delivery.

Additional items for new special editions:
- 8.5x20" highly polished 9-Spoke alloy wheels with 255/35 ZR20 tyres
- a boot mounted six-disc CD autochanger
- a BOSE audio-system
- xenon plus bi-xenon headlights
- telephone preparation with hands free function
- TV and Teletext reception
- coloured enhanced Leather pack II (seat upholstery, lower dashboard & centre console sides in Fine Nappa leather from quattro GmbH)
- coloured Controls pack (handbrake & gear lever in Fine Nappa leather)
- coloured leather sports steering wheel with tiptronic transmission controls
- dark Myrtle wood fascia, centre console & door trim

Upholstery options for new special editions:
- Avus Silver - Brilliant Red or Mauve leather upholstery & controls
- Ebony Black - Brilliant Red or Silver Grey leather upholstery & controls

Released April 10, but effective April 5, 2002, Audi has announced the availability of further S8 Special Editions due to the success of initial versions.

Audi has added two new colour-ways to the S8 Special Edition range:
- Misano Red with Silver Grey leather upholstery
- Aqua Blue with Morning Dew leather upholstery

The S8 special Edition in Aqua Blue, is priced GBP 58,815 and the Misano Red edition, priced at GBP 59,815, both including delivery.

Guys

This S8 was registered on 03/05/2002 and it's not an FE. So were you able to buy a "normal" S8, which you could spec up, at the same time as the FE was available?

James

PsYcHe
23rd May 2011, 07:57 PM
Yep james..

I'd give up on the FE bit... Get the spec and mileage you want, as said before, there's S8s that are much better specced than FEs.

Or even look at a 4.2 A8, not that much slower, much better mileage and again, can often be found with more toys inside.