PDA

View Full Version : Aerial + Contamination

captain
10th August 2011, 07:45 PM
Looks like the previous owner fixed or replaced the aerial - He posted about it on here without response.

Now look at it...

http://www.hairworks-salon.com/passat/006-L.jpg

It works ok - although it extends that high, youd think you were on a dodgem.

Any replacement ideas? I'll sort the contamination but dont want it coming back. Has anyone just put a static rubber aerial or something on?

Nollywood
22nd August 2011, 06:20 PM
That's gonna need the entire top of the rear fender prepping, and re-spraying.

I believe the hole edge was grazed, perhaps when the old aerial was being removed. What's that aerial for anyway? My car has the genuine Audi black fixed-mast aerial in place, which I believe is for the car telephone. The aerial for the radio is incorporated within the rear windshield.

captain
23rd August 2011, 04:10 PM
That's gonna need the entire top of the rear fender prepping, and re-spraying.

I believe the hole edge was grazed, perhaps when the old aerial was being removed. What's that aerial for anyway? My car has the genuine Audi black fixed-mast aerial in place, which I believe is for the car telephone. The aerial for the radio is incorporated within the rear windshield.

Yeah, the whole car needs doing to be honest.

The aerial is for the radio? It extends and retracts when the head unit is operated but it's awful not to mention massive! I would like a stub one or something? Or maybe even rip it out, when I have the wing done.

The_Laird
23rd August 2011, 07:06 PM
I think - and might be wrong - that the PF models had a retractable aerial for the radio and the FL models had an aerial (if at all) for the the phone. Both were standard fitting.

Night Train
23rd August 2011, 07:09 PM
My PF S8 has a fixed black whip aerial which is for both the radio and the 'phone.

PsYcHe
23rd August 2011, 08:55 PM
If you had phone prep (and all S8s did I think) in PF, you got the whippy, others got the shoddy rectractable.

captain
24th August 2011, 07:32 AM
If you had phone prep (and all S8s did I think) in PF, you got the whippy, others got the shoddy rectractable.

That makes sense then.

I may just take the thing completely out - radio is for old people. :(
Get it 'patched up' when it goes in for a complete respray! (if).

Dezzy
24th August 2011, 07:36 AM
shoddy rectractable.:eek:

Captain if you look at your rear window you just about see the demist filament (looks like a front screen type) the others will have a normal type filament (like a fiesta has) these massive, great fat lines in the back window also act as the aerial :D

Nollywood
24th August 2011, 08:29 AM
:eek:

Captain if you look at your rear window you just about see the demist filament (looks like a front screen type) the others will have a normal type filament (like a fiesta has) these massive, great fat lines in the back window also act as the aerial :D

Actually, the demister elements don't double as the radio aerial.

The aerial uses the two vertical elements, either side of the windshield.

PsYcHe
24th August 2011, 09:31 AM
I did love the 'quickclear' style rear window in my PF D2.

Night Train
24th August 2011, 04:43 PM
The quickclear screen is a nice touch indeed, my 1968 P5B Coupe (which has to go now :( ) has the same type of element in the glass... but that was a quality car too.

ainarssems
24th August 2011, 05:15 PM

And I thought S8 did not have electrical retractable to save weight, silly me.

sloss
25th August 2011, 11:32 AM
That makes sense then.

I may just take the thing completely out - radio is for old people. :(
Get it 'patched up' when it goes in for a complete respray! (if).

Wireless in my day.....:D

The_Laird
25th August 2011, 12:31 PM
Wireless in my day.....:D

Did you have a crystal set?:)

Architex_mA8tey
25th August 2011, 01:16 PM
Did you have a crystal set?:)

Wasnt that a type of hairdo in olden days? :ROFL:

captain
25th August 2011, 06:49 PM
Wasnt that a type of hairdo in olden days? :ROFL:

Lol

The_Laird
25th August 2011, 07:46 PM
Nah, that was a shampoo and set. Have you seen 'The Boat That Rocked'? I was that teenager listening to Radio Caroline (and Radio Luxembourg) under the bed clothes on a transistor radio.

Architex_mA8tey
25th August 2011, 08:28 PM
Nah, that was a shampoo and set. Have you seen 'The Boat That Rocked'? I was that teenager listening to Radio Caroline (and Radio Luxembourg) under the bed clothes on a transistor radio.

lol love that film. . . Bill Nighy Is sooo cool in it :cool: