PDA

View Full Version : D/A polishing

Dezzy
13th September 2011, 02:42 PM
I have borrowed a machine from a friend as I don’t have one. I have a few polishes at home but decided to buy some SSR3 to mop out some very heavy scratches and swirls.
Washed and clayed the bonnet and repaired some stone chips, some the very front face around the grill and just above were really bad and looked as if it had been shot blasted. I went for it. Using a standard compounding head I went over there were still a few quite deep scratches that remained so I decided to give it another couple of passes. I should have masked up the edges of the bonnet as I had gone though the paint in one area about 30mm long, oops. Although I’m sure this is localised to this area and only because I’m a machine virgin I decided to stop. I’m unable to take paint readings to see how close I am in other areas. My technique needs practice but the bonnet looks far better than it did. Just the rest of the car to go then.

ainarssems
13th September 2011, 05:03 PM
Factory lacquer is quite hard and takes some time to get through it but if you hit area which has been repainted with softer aftermarket paint you can go through it very quickly. I do not go near edges with a machine and do them manually.