PDA

View Full Version : Converting an A8 to an S8???

johnds8
20th September 2011, 12:56 PM
Hi,

I will shortly be looking to get my S8 but as I don't want to be without a car for too long was wondering how feasible it would be to get a 4.2 A8 Quattro Sport and convert it to S8 spec....

I assume:-

Airbox
ECU
Mirrors

Is it as simple (??) as replacing the above to get it up to 340/360 as standard or does it have different manifolds etc etc?

Perhaps I should just wait for the right one to come along and borrow the missus car/get a runabout in the meantime!!

Cheers

John

IT
20th September 2011, 01:07 PM
Its tough to find a nice 4.2 QS, its easier to find a nice S8 imo.

The S8 has standard Xenons, Sat Nav, nav ally mirrors, different grill, gear ratios, gearbox, instrument cluster, ECU, tail pipes, door trims, brakes, wheels, suspension.....

You get the idea... +++

Not sure if the airbox is different though.... :rolleyes:

ainarssems
20th September 2011, 06:03 PM
If it is PF then:

Xenons will not be standard on S, have not noticed any difference in door trims either, there is no specific S8 suspension components in ETKA so it looks like they are shared with A8 QS, airbox is the same
And to add more differences:

Valve timing is different so camshafts are different, intake valve followers are solid with adjustable gap instead of hydraulic so save weight and give extra RPM. Compression ratio is different so either heads or pistons are different.

johnds8
21st September 2011, 11:59 AM
Probably more trouble than it is worth by the sound of things! Ill hold out for an S!

Cheers

John