PDA

View Full Version : DVB-T reciever question?

frankow
7th December 2011, 03:07 PM
Hi,

Just purchased a cheap DVB-T reciever as I miss TV now the anaolgue reciever is no use.

Powered it up and all appears good so wondering what's the best route to get wires from the boot compartment into the car, namely the remote lead?

Would appreciate others experiences before I start pulling panels.

Thanks

HPsauce
7th December 2011, 03:39 PM
Ah, I've been thinking about doing that too.
What receiver did you get and where/what did you connect, e.g. did you use the existing aerial?
Also what version RNS do you have?

frankow
7th December 2011, 04:03 PM
It's a eonon V0012 from ebay, got it for £76 delivered so figured it was worth a go.

Only recieved it today, so connected the audio/video up to one of the extra sets of phono inputs I have on my Analogue reciever. Only tried it with the car stationary with the aerials that came with it.

No idea what it will be like on the move.

Plan on connecting to factory aerials but need to know how to convert from whatever is on the input to the analogue receiver to screw type as below......any ideas?

My unit is the RNS-D

http://www.sbo2.net/photo2/V0012/lovecarclub/V0012-03.jpg

http://www.sbo2.net/photo2/V0012/lovecarclub/V0012-06.jpg

HPsauce
7th December 2011, 04:30 PM
Interesting, thanks.
I think mine is an RNS-C but definitely has Aux inputs selectable via the menus - I'll have to have a rummage in the boot sometime before April when Crystal Palace gives up on Analogue TV...

The aerial "looks" like an F-connector.
Not knowing what the existing aerial is (assuming it's different) I'd be looking to either buy an adapter (if available) or just buy components and make up a short coax cable with a suitable socket on one end and an F-connector (or whatever it is) on the other.
(I did something similar to "hack in" a replacement GPS aerial, though in that case I actually cut the existing cable and inserted a matching male/female pair of connectors of the type used by the new unit, so it's all reversible if I ever buy a "real" S8 GPS aerial that works - The £50 A8parts are currently asking on eBay I can't justify)

Adrian E
7th December 2011, 04:36 PM
Is it possible to route the remote pick up onto the rear shelf to save going to the front of the car?

Nollywood
7th December 2011, 04:48 PM
Awesome. Does the RNS-D have phono inputs as standard, or did you have to rig up an adapter kit?

IT
7th December 2011, 04:56 PM
Awesome. Does the RNS-D have phono inputs as standard, or did you have to rig up an adapter kit?

Nav unit is irrelvant. Its the tuner than matters.

The Type A tuner fitted to all RNS-C (with factory TV obviosuly) and the early FL cars with RNS-C/RNS-D up to around mid 2000 has 1 set of 3 RCA phono connectors on the back of it.

The Type B tuner fitted after mid 2000 had no direct phonos, but there are DIY kits you can get that modifies the connector on the back of the tuner to give 2 full sets of Video with Stereo Audio

So, for quick setup and go, Tuner A wins, but if you want more than 1 input working, Tuner B is the one to hope for +++

Nollywood
7th December 2011, 05:00 PM
^^^ Got you. So mine will require an adapter? My car's a 2001.

HPsauce
7th December 2011, 05:07 PM
I think the adapter for the later RNS-D is shown in this Kufatec kit:
http://www.kufatec.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p965_c109_Analog-TV-to-DVB-T---Harness--Audi-A8-4D.html/beschreibung/#subaction_div

Not sure what all of it does though and there's no manual!

Nollywood
7th December 2011, 05:19 PM
Yeah, that's the kit I was looking at. As you say, it's pretty vague.

HPsauce
7th December 2011, 05:26 PM
wondering what's the best route to get wires from the boot compartment into the car, namely the remote lead?

Just had a quick look in my boot and the parcel shelf has multiple cutouts for speakers (I've got Bose) and I can just prod a finger up to the shelf material in many places - fibrous stuff.

If I was doing this I'd probably mount the remote receiver somewhere centrally there, so just punch/drill a hole through from below for the cable.

I can't see where the AV inputs are for the tuner - just looked at that area, though it is dark now and even with LED boot lights it's still pretty gloomy in that corner!
The bottom of the stack is the CD changer, I presume the TV tuner is the largish box above that (with the small silver box on the side - is that SatNav-related?)
What's the best way to get access to check/test?

frankow
7th December 2011, 05:46 PM
Ian's post from a while back shows the part needed to add aux inputs to the 'B' (later) tuner, this is what I did.

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=112

http://images.a8parts.co.uk/parts/831.JPG

Here's a bit more detail on what to do with it: http://audisrs.com/archive/rns-d-tv-tuner-aux-in-via-kufatec-cable__o_t__t_19135.html

http://bilder.adaptershop.de/eBayBilder/15_Navi/TV_Tuner_Adapter.jpg

I simply connected power to the battery, placed the aerials that came with it on the rear wings and connected the output from the tuner to one of these aux inputs on the analogue tuner. Worked a treat, found loads of stations. As I said before have no idea what the performance will be like on the move or in other locations.

Is there an easy place to pick up an ignition switched power supply in the boot so thet the unit turnson and off with the car?

I have no idea what the aerial inputs to the analogue tuner look like yet?.....Ian, any ideas?

Thanks again all!

notorious
7th December 2011, 05:46 PM
Hi Wayne,

If you have had analogue tuner before I'm almost certain you can use existing harness. Here is my story:

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2982

notorious
7th December 2011, 05:49 PM
>> Is there an easy place to pick up an ignition switched power supply in the boot

Yes, you can pick it up from parktronic unit. In my car I think it was black/blue wire in the parktronic harness, but you should check wiring diagrams for your car.

frankow
7th December 2011, 05:55 PM
Yes, you can pick it up from parktronic unit. In my car I think it was black/blue wire in the parktronic harness, but you should check wiring diagrams for your car.

Thanks, will have a look at the weekend when I stand a chance of seeing sunlight.

Nollywood
7th December 2011, 07:14 PM
Is that adapter as pictured, available through A8 Parts too?

frankow
7th December 2011, 08:47 PM
Is that adapter as pictured, available through A8 Parts too?

Not sure, just copied the pic from Ian's write up, may have been when Ian was with A8Parts?

limoncello
8th December 2011, 10:42 AM
Ive got one fitted in my D3 so may be a bit different to yours, I picked up the power from the fuse box in the rear boot compartment, think it was the fourth one down which runs the AMI, which is quite handy as it shuts of power 5 minutes after ignition goes off.

for the remote eye, i took out the plastic cover from in the back of the rear armrest, made a small hole through the fabric in the boot and put the cables from the antenna's and the remote eye through, put back the leather insert and it cant be seen. , the eye now sits comfortably beside the centre headrest and most of the time works well wherever you point the remote, sometimes you need to point behind you. On reflection i shouldnt have made the hole, i should have taken out the rear fabric put the wire behind, but at the time couldnt face taking the boot apart.

Worst thing about the cheap TV i bought is the tuning, if you dont get one which auto updates the channels on the move, its a PITA, you need to constantly retune while moving, its really unwatchable while in motion due to this. in fact i hardly use it anymore I just use it for movies etc as it has a SD card and USB where i can put movies to watch, I plan on updating to a better tuner after i have put the rear headrest monitors in. I would advise anyone considering a tuner to not gat the cheap ones, in the end you wont be happy.

on the antenna's - i understood that you couldnt use the diversity antennas in the car so put in another on the back screen with built in booster, which seemed to work quite well, would be good if you can

daviesbike
8th December 2011, 11:31 AM
i have exactly that same tuner fitted and i have had it for some time now, i have it set up so that its on the AV and the antenna that come with it are no good to be honest, i run a booster and rewired it into the existing antenna that is on the car in the boot with the cd changer was fairly straight forward, i also removed the rear seats and ran a secondary input under the carpet up the tunnel and it now comes out into the little tray under the arm rests, sadly at the time though i bought the non radio remote it was infa red and needs line of sight to the DVB-T box to change channel but the media playback is quite good also i have the Sd card reader built into mine and although it takes some time to get the correct codex as it will only play some types of format but it works really well, not quite as good on the move as if you start to loose signal it all pixilates and freezes where as the old tuner would just loose its clarity,

Nollywood
8th December 2011, 01:46 PM
I'm not really bothered about retuning to watch on the move. My RNS-D still has the safety feature (speed signal to cut out screen display when car is moving) and is staying that way.

I honestly don't understand the logic of viewing a TV broadcast / video whilst I'm driving. That's just me though!

A8 Doc
9th December 2011, 07:45 AM
Ive got one fitted in my D3 so may be a bit different to yours, I picked up the power from the fuse box in the rear boot compartment, think it was the fourth one down which runs the AMI, which is quite handy as it shuts of power 5 minutes after ignition goes off.

for the remote eye, i took out the plastic cover from in the back of the rear armrest, made a small hole through the fabric in the boot and put the cables from the antenna's and the remote eye through, put back the leather insert and it cant be seen. , the eye now sits comfortably beside the centre headrest and most of the time works well wherever you point the remote, sometimes you need to point behind you. On reflection i shouldnt have made the hole, i should have taken out the rear fabric put the wire behind, but at the time couldnt face taking the boot apart.

Worst thing about the cheap TV i bought is the tuning, if you dont get one which auto updates the channels on the move, its a PITA, you need to constantly retune while moving, its really unwatchable while in motion due to this. in fact i hardly use it anymore I just use it for movies etc as it has a SD card and USB where i can put movies to watch, I plan on updating to a better tuner after i have put the rear headrest monitors in. I would advise anyone considering a tuner to not gat the cheap ones, in the end you wont be happy.

on the antenna's - i understood that you couldnt use the diversity antennas in the car so put in another on the back screen with built in booster, which seemed to work quite well, would be good if you can

On the D3, buy the proper DVB tuner. It's brilliant.

limoncello
9th December 2011, 10:52 AM
On the D3, buy the proper DVB tuner. It's brilliant.

would love to but its a bit expensive and i would still need another device to play movies, also is there a video out connection to go to rear headrest?

Nollywood
9th December 2011, 11:37 AM
It's a eonon V0012 from ebay, got it for £76 delivered so figured it was worth a go.

£76 is on the pricey side.

I purchased one for under 20 bucks. Cost me £17,99. Same features as your unit, but way cheaper. +++