PDA

View Full Version : Opinions please?

briang9
12th March 2012, 07:27 PM
As mentioned on another thread I am getting my wheels refurbed, im 80% sure I want to keep them as original, but part of me has always loved these powdercoated anthracite with silver spoke faces on this thread

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3134&highlight=original

I think they probably look great on that car because of its colour and not sure how they would look on my all black set up

what you guys think?

cheers+++

notorious
12th March 2012, 07:48 PM
Look nice Brian.

How they manage to mask such complex pattern when they paint? I think they powdercoat wheels fully and then they machine the front surface ("diamond cut?") and then they lacquer the whole thing again.

Singh
12th March 2012, 07:50 PM
Go with 'Titan' which is what Audi use on the plus, which also comes with the black optics package you have.

Here are some photos that will give you an idea of what it will look like.

http://audisrs.com/viewtopic.php?t=11258&start=0

Adrian E
12th March 2012, 07:56 PM
Keep them standard I reckon - think 2 tone would look a bit odd against black paint and it's nice to have some bling against your all black paint +++

47p2
12th March 2012, 08:03 PM
There isn't any company in Scotland that does diamond cut finish. Ther wheels need to be sent down south and takes about a week.

sarg
12th March 2012, 08:04 PM
I vote for standard too, though I think the two tone looks equally nice

PsYcHe
12th March 2012, 08:30 PM
Speak to Chameleon and see what they can do, but I'd stick with standard, or maybe the 'silver' which is what I had the 'old' D3 wheels done as (was gonna go 'chrome' but their lacquer had problems).

tintin
12th March 2012, 08:35 PM
I thought of doing the same when I had mine wheels refurbed by Pristine, near Milton Keynes. The guy there suggested anthracite with a diamond cut finish, but I decided not to for two main reasons:

1 - I wanted to keep them as close to the originals as possible,
2 - I thought they'd look a bit "thin" with the darker colour, and that this wouldn't suit such a big car, but that's very much down to personal taste.

I might have put the refurbed alloys on in time for the Crieff meet...

Zip
12th March 2012, 10:04 PM
I went "black chrome" (black powder coat with a silver/chrome paint on top plus lacquer) about 2 years ago, and still love them when clean. Not too dark, and certainly not anthracite / titan dark and not bling. Check out my album / sig pic.

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/album.php?albumid=20

May go back to diamond cut next year - just for a change - but I like what I have.

Zip

The_Laird
13th March 2012, 04:49 AM
As mentioned on another thread I am getting my wheels refurbed, im 80% sure I want to keep them as original, but part of me has always loved these powdercoated anthracite with silver spoke faces on this thread

what you guys think?

cheers+++

I'd go for standard - I get the 'anthracite effect' just from brake dust a couple of days after cleaning the wheels anyway! :)

Architex_mA8tey
13th March 2012, 05:13 AM
I like both Brian but think it works better on the grey car. The simplicity of yours with the black trim means its going to look 10 times better with the standard silver against all the black +++

PsYcHe
13th March 2012, 08:24 AM
If you're near Blantyre before you get them done, and you want to see the 'silver' colour, I could pop the spare out the old D3 for you to compare.

briang9
13th March 2012, 09:52 AM
Thanks for the offer Richard, probably wont be over that way, and they are going in tomorrow, now convinced to keep them as close to what they are at the moment:)

thanks to all for their comments

cheers

jayzee
15th March 2012, 10:11 PM
now convinced to keep them as close to what they are at the moment:)

You're doing the right thing there Brian +++