PDA

View Full Version : wife's A8 goes in for gearbox service 12/3/09

A8 Owner
11th March 2009, 10:00 PM
Well we found someone that can do it where we live well say where we live, we live in south wales and we got to take it to bristol. found them through the palce A8 parts take theres 2 as the blike there said ring a place in London who supply all the transmissoin trade with parts. so did and they said this place in bristol means me, wife and baby havto find somthing to do in bristol all day. (not taking cash or card LOL) not that daft with her around. She will be asking them to take some pics of the used and new oil and of the filters new and old to see if u can see the crap and also a pic of the magnets and what crap they have on them so u get a idea what it looks like at a 110,000.+++

harpersimon
12th March 2009, 11:47 AM
You could have gone to Chester for the day - alot nicer than Bristol :-)
Look forward to the pics and results..

Architex_mA8tey
12th March 2009, 01:50 PM
they said this place in bristol means me, wife and baby havto find somthing to do in bristol all day. (not taking cash or card LOL) not that daft with her around. She.+++

Go and watch 3 episodes of "deal or no deal" being recorded in one day - they film it in bristol and at least you get free coffee and tea. After several hours of "Noel Beardman" she will be putty in your hands :ROFL:

topgolfer1
12th March 2009, 09:28 PM
As I live in Bristol,I was told Bristol Transmissions in Fishponds,were recommended to me,is it that one per chance?Aint used them myself yet thou.
If you went on a Saturday you could watch the gas(Bristol Rovers) play at the Mem+++

S8yot
13th March 2009, 08:04 PM
Interesting as I've decided that my 160k gearbox is crying out for an oil change - rang Chester Trans to enquire if they knew of anyone in Bristol / Somerset who had the same machine as them. Given the name of Col-Pax in Weston-super-Mare. I've phoned them and they do indeed have the "Tech-Tronix" machine to extract all the trans fluid. Difficult to find the time to pop in and see them before committing at the moment however.
Topgolfer - Please let us know how you get on as I would much prefer to go somewhere on recommendation than blind!

Mike
2001 Ming Blue S8

IT
15th March 2009, 01:47 PM
160K is a good mileage for a 2001 S8 - It wouldn't surprise me if the box hasn't been replaced before?

It will be interesting to see what the tranmission place thinks of the quality of the oil that comes out....

A8 Owner
18th March 2009, 01:34 AM
well we went over to bristol and had the box serviced . Yer bristol transmissions Dropped kids off at school, got there for 10am .Wanted a hr for it to cool down, before they started on it. Was back out of there by 1.30, they didnt take the photos i asked tho,:tuttut: as the bloke i spoke to didnt pass this info on. very haappy with Job and price so +++ for anyone else that wanted to take there car there.
Found them through A8 Parts in along roundabout way, A8 Parts gave me number of the person that they know and he put me intouch with a company that supply the UK Transmission places with parts so they knew whos who.
As for what to do while cars in theres a nice cafe on the Rd. If u walk around Estate, u will find a wholesale warehouse open to jo public. If u got a little one with u like i did, theres a indoor area top of RD Called Cheeky Monkeys. If they dont know where it is, ask them where Bookers is ,as its just past there.

Def be back there in 20,000 Miles
The main man there said he has refurb'ed more 4 speeds than 5 speeds in 30 yrs,and he dreads mini cooper box's.

Hope this info helps someone

Roll on 7th June +++:D