PDA

View Full Version : Water in Battery Compartment

David's8
4th April 2012, 05:15 PM
Whilst ferreting about in the boot (looking to remove towbar electrics and return to Iceblue8) i noticed that the lining of the offside cubby hole over the battery was wet. I THINK that the source is from a blue pipe (about 15 -20mm dia) situated in the body work and passing out through a rubber collar to the rear wheel arch. There was water around the collar. It looks like a drain but from what? Could this be the source and how do I clear it if it blocked? :Confused:

Grateful for any advice.

The_Laird
5th April 2012, 07:05 AM
David - not sure where the drains from the sun roof go (I'd thought into the car as this is sometimes a 'wet feet' problem), but perhaps a rear sunroof drain could pass this way?

graynada
5th April 2012, 08:04 AM
+1 for sunroof drain. Pull the hose out of the rubber but be prepared for water to come out the hose, so clamp if you can. The poke flexible wire down the rubber to clear the blockage. The alternative is to take the rear bumber off to get to the out let.

David's8
5th April 2012, 08:38 AM
David - not sure where the drains from the sun roof go (I'd thought into the car as this is sometimes a 'wet feet' problem), but perhaps a rear sunroof drain could pass this way?

[QUOTE+1 for sunroof drain. Pull the hose out of the rubber but be prepared for water to come out the hose, so clamp if you can. The poke flexible wire down the rubber to clear the blockage. The alternative is to take the rear bumber off to get to the out let. [/QUOTE]

Many thanks for that. Will give it a go.

(Not too sure who this bumber is hanging around my car) :D

PsYcHe
5th April 2012, 08:38 AM
IIRC there's a lot of space under there, and I think you can see that nipple from underneath easily, try giving it a squeeze and see what happens before you flood the batter compartment.

roboblob
5th April 2012, 12:38 PM
IIRC there's a lot of space under there, and I think you can see that nipple from underneath easily, try giving it a squeeze and see what happens before you flood the batter compartment.

I had to do a doubletake there to ensure I was in the correct forum :ROFL:

PsYcHe
5th April 2012, 01:45 PM
:rofl: I had about another 3 entendres in mind too :)

David's8
5th April 2012, 06:11 PM
Pulled drain hose out whilst clamping it off but there was no water in hose but there was standing water low down in the connector. I couldn't "rod" down the ways as there seemed to be something in the way. The lower end of the drain hose though is a small (5mm) tube which exits under the car by the battery box. Managed to get a coat hanger back up through the small tube and then cleared it by flushing from the top using a funnel. Photo shows the drain. The small tube coming in from the right is the battery hydrogen "exhaust". +++

Thanks for the help...