PDA

View Full Version : Refurbishing S8 mirrors

Jake242
18th April 2012, 04:40 PM
Hi guys, just got my new(used) S8 mirrors from A8 parts. They defo needs to be refurbished, does anyone know how to go about this procedure?

Thanks in advance

/Jake

Jake242
18th April 2012, 07:47 PM
Got some major questions...!

Are these full alu? Looks like plastic behind a thin alu shell!!(I believe that is what I see in some stone-chink)

My mirrors look like they are painted with some glittering paint on the surface that would be hit by the wind when drivin... Only on the top and sides it looks smooth... Is it wear and tear?

Can this be refurbished at all?

I will put up some pics

/Jake

47p2
18th April 2012, 07:59 PM
Need pictures!!!

Jake242
18th April 2012, 08:14 PM
give me 7 minutes then I will post pics

Jake242
18th April 2012, 08:21 PM
http://share.xboxlife.dk/file/ndjknty3mdqynjjlm2fjmjblodmxogy2mmu0mwuyowu.jpg
http://share.xboxlife.dk/file/ngvhmtzizmu5zjrizmezzdjkyzg0otfiy2vjmjdhnme.jpg
http://share.xboxlife.dk/file/ytaxymi5ztnmogqxy2mymzcyzwmzn2jiodc5ndbjzdm.jpg
http://share.xboxlife.dk/file/nzzmndkznzrkytvlodzjntu3mwvjmtkxoge0nzhjyja.jpg

Jake242
18th April 2012, 08:25 PM
Last one here shows how smooth it is on top... but how glittery(like its been painted) on the front part

http://share.xboxlife.dk/file/nwiyzjcynwu1otk3y2vlmdyzowy4nwvhowjjnmfimwq.jpg

Nollywood
18th April 2012, 08:27 PM
Genuine D2 S8 mirror casings are solid aluminium.

47p2
18th April 2012, 08:29 PM
Not sure what to make of them, are you sure the marks are not grit blast marks from travelling close behind another vehicle.

If they were mine I would be tempted to rub down with 2000 grade wet & dry and see what is underneath

Jake242
18th April 2012, 08:32 PM
According to Carl at A8 parts then its genuine S8 mirrors...(He's the one who sold them to me) So there should be no harm in sanding them down and polishing them up?

Jake242
18th April 2012, 08:35 PM
Not sure what to make of them, are you sure the marks are not grit blast marks from travelling close behind another vehicle.

If they were mine I would be tempted to rub down with 2000 grade wet & dry and see what is underneath

theres some distinct grit marks like 2-3 on one and 1-2 on the other... but if the other small ones(that looks like glitter) should be grit blasts... then the card would have been running behind a sandblaster:(

Singh
18th April 2012, 08:36 PM
If A8 Parts say they are genuine, they are genuine. +++

The normal and replica ones are cheap plastic, the genuine ones are heavy and will give you a concussion if hit around the head with one.

Jake242
18th April 2012, 08:42 PM
If A8 Parts say they are genuine, they are genuine. +++

The normal and replica ones are cheap plastic, the genuine ones are heavy and will give you a concussion if hit around the head with one.

They are heavy... it is made of aluminium... im just sure I can see plastic in one of the grit blasts(like it pushed the aluminum to the side... and the alu is only like 1/10 of a millimeter thick) it looks very odd... I will see if I can capture it on the camera

Jake242
18th April 2012, 08:52 PM
Could not capture it with my camera so had to use the iPhone... but you can see it here

http://share.xboxlife.dk/file/mjflyzvimjc4mtfknzg5ogyxnznlytyznmqwodrlmwm.jpg

HPsauce
18th April 2012, 08:57 PM
They certainly look like the genuine article (I mine).
I'd start with some VERY gentle polishing, and see what you get.

Not sure what you're expecting, but mine are aluminium, not chrome, so they're NOT shiny as such.

Edit: seen the latest close-up picture. That's WRONG. :Confused:

Jake242
18th April 2012, 09:04 PM
So is it a fact that they are solid aluminium? or could they be plastic core covered in 1/10 mm aluminium sheet metal?

Nollywood
18th April 2012, 09:05 PM
Mine are solid aluminium, and heavy. Not grey plastic, with a thin chrome layer.

Jake242
18th April 2012, 09:06 PM
Mine are solid aluminium, and heavy. Not grey plastic, with a thin chrome layer.

So are you saying that these are not genuine?

HPsauce
18th April 2012, 09:08 PM
Sorry, but you're going to have to tell us as you've got them there.
Mine are genuine and SOLID aluminium shells.
As I said they're not especially shiny, nothing like chrome.
NOT solid = NOT genuine. :-(

Best talk to A8parts; is there any possibility someone intercepted and swapped them?

HPsauce
18th April 2012, 09:10 PM
Or have they had some sort of "protection" added? :Confused:

Jake242
18th April 2012, 09:13 PM
I opened them up, and they do look like solid aluminium from the inside.. picture comming up

No chance of intercept, they are sealed from A8 parts and nobody but them and I know that I have ordered them

give me 2 min on the picture

Jake242
18th April 2012, 09:15 PM
http://share.xboxlife.dk/file/ntlmngyyzwizytawmtawzwfkyjm5nzrhytrhmzzhntg.jpg

Nollywood
18th April 2012, 09:16 PM
So are you saying that these are not genuine?

I'm not saying that at all. It's not easy to see the finish on your mirrors from the images. :Confused: But I do know the non-genuine items are plastic, with a thin chrome plating, similar to car badges. They are also quite shiny.

Mine are not really shiny, more of a dull aluminium finish

HPsauce
18th April 2012, 09:20 PM
Mine are not really shiny, more of a dull aluminium finish +++

Jake242
18th April 2012, 09:21 PM
Well I have convinced myself... they are defo made of solid aluminium... unless someone has found a way to wrap plastic 100% with aluminium(like a Calzone)

Its like 3 mm thick where the chink/grit is... must just be non polished aluminium which has been clocked with dirt or something... making it look gray(looks more white than grey... just the camera that portrays it that way)

Almost 5-6 mm thick around the bottom(which shows in this picture above)
Edit: no need of posting that picture twice:-)

Nollywood
18th April 2012, 09:21 PM
I think it would be an idea to make the images a lot smaller, more detail can be seen then. At their current size, they're too blurred, and grainy. It's hard to know what one is looking at.

Jake242
18th April 2012, 09:23 PM
blurryness comes from the iphone not shooting good pictures at night time... size is already half of original...(thought it would be better to be as big as possible to see detail)

HPsauce
18th April 2012, 09:26 PM
Have they been polished and lacquered or similar?
Not saying that's wrong, but the general idea is that they LOOK like aluminium - i.e. dull grey, not shiny......
(though mine are currently quite shiny as they're wet)

47p2
18th April 2012, 09:27 PM
If they are 3mm thick then wet & dry with 400, then 1200, then 2000, then polish with Solvol Autosol then etch prime and lacquer

Jake242
18th April 2012, 09:29 PM
Have they been polished and lacquered or similar?
Not saying that's wrong, but the general idea is that they LOOK like aluminium - i.e. dull grey, not shiny......
(though mine are currently quite shiny as they're wet)

I have no idea, just got them today from A8 parts

Adrian E
18th April 2012, 09:35 PM
Mine are pretty shiny - but then they're only a year old after my insurance claim to replace them! Not reflective shiny, but certainly bright rather than dull aluminium

Jake242
18th April 2012, 09:38 PM
Thanks guys for the help, I got a little concerned... but I am more relaxed now. I will see if I can get the worst damage off before putting them on my car.

Does anyone have a pdf on how to install them?

Thanks in advance

/Jake

briang9
18th April 2012, 09:41 PM
mine are pretty shiny too, and I presume they are the same age as the car, I do polish them with metal polish though, looks like yours have maybe just had a very hard life, certain A8 parts would do refund if your unhappy, (suppose depends what you paid, how unhappy you maybe)

Jake242
18th April 2012, 09:47 PM
mine are pretty shiny too, and I presume they are the same age as the car, I do polish them with metal polish though, looks like yours have maybe just had a very hard life, certain A8 parts would do refund if your unhappy, (suppose depends what you paid, how unhappy you maybe)

Well I didn´t assume they were mint;-)

I roughly paid £225 for them(£275 for mirrors, gas boot struts, a small quattro badge and postage to Denmark)

I´m fairly satisfied... still a step up from my 94' mirrors(car looks like Evander Hollyfield...after Mike Tyson bit half his ear off:ROFL:)

If only I can refurb them... then I will be super satisfied, I will try with the sandpaper wet/dry

/Jake

briang9
18th April 2012, 09:50 PM
think thats a pretty fair price TBH, good luck in getting them polished up then+++

47p2
18th April 2012, 09:51 PM
If you look through the thread of the wheel I refurbed it will give you an idea of what to do

Wheel refurb link (http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4569)

Jake242
19th April 2012, 05:09 AM
If you look through the thread of the wheel I refurbed it will give you an idea of what to do

Wheel refurb link (http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4569)

Yeah I noticed your wheel refurb thread before... freakin' awsome:)

But I think you have more tools than I, to do such a pro job(polish machine for one)

I will see what I can do with wet/dry sandpaper with your mentioned grain specifics+++

Would any of you have a dismantling/assembling guide for the mirrors??

Thanks

/Jake

47p2
19th April 2012, 05:28 AM
I don't know the mirrors, so can't tell you how to dismantle them, just take your time and don't rush the job

Jake242
19th April 2012, 05:36 AM
I don't know the mirrors, so can't tell you how to dismantle them, just take your time and don't rush the job

It was more how to dismantle the doors... to put the mirrors on:)

HPsauce
19th April 2012, 07:59 AM
I think it's pretty simple, even obvious and theres only a handful of screws, possibly starting with one underneath in the plastic section.

I've got to disassemble one of mine as I have to replace the mechanism (fold is failing) and have bought a replacement "guts" plus some door trim clips from A8parts (a while back now). They provided instructions - it's the door that's tricky, not the mirror IIRC.

If no-one can find a suitable online link I'll dig all that out for you.

Adrian E
19th April 2012, 08:02 AM
I'll try and upload the elsawin instructions for removing the door card, but may not be for a day or 2 as I'll need to find it in elsawin first!!

HPsauce
19th April 2012, 08:21 AM
Did you get some trim clips with the mirrors?
Apparently it's almost guaranteed that you'll break some taking the cards off. :(
If not, ask A8parts for some and the instructions too.

IT
19th April 2012, 08:26 AM
There is no need to remove door cards to change mirror housing.

Two small philips screws underneath remove a black plastic cover. Pop out the mirror glass very carefully - It just sort of prises out.

Then you see (i think) 3 screws that hold the mirror housing to the mirror assembly.

Remove these, and the old plastic houses come off.

Refitting of the new ones is reversal of the removal.

10 minute job per side +++

HPsauce
19th April 2012, 09:03 AM
I thought he was swapping the entire mirrors as units. :o
If not, it's a lot easier as you say. +++

Adrian E
19th April 2012, 11:41 AM
Here's the instructions for removing the door card - note that elsawin claims you have to remove the door card to access the connector if you have memory seats, but I'm betting its not essential based on what Ian has said

Adrian E
19th April 2012, 11:46 AM
What my mirrors look like (only a year old!) but made no effort to wipe them before taking the pic as it's now peeing down with rain 2 mins later!

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/BX16VALVE/Audi%20S8/b05b6896.jpg

Jake242
19th April 2012, 12:25 PM
There is no need to remove door cards to change mirror housing.

Two small philips screws underneath remove a black plastic cover. Pop out the mirror glass very carefully - It just sort of prises out.

Then you see (i think) 3 screws that hold the mirror housing to the mirror assembly.

Remove these, and the old plastic houses come off.

Refitting of the new ones is reversal of the removal.

10 minute job per side +++

Thats a no go for me, as I have a small passengerside mirror. I'll ask A8 parts if they can supply some trim clips as I am putting a big order with them soon(recaro leathers front and rear seats + fl armrests and a chrome gear selector... price already cleared... they just need the donor car as I need it from a LHD:) )

Nollywood
19th April 2012, 12:59 PM
What my mirrors look like (only a year old!) but made no effort to wipe them before taking the pic as it's now peeing down with rain 2 mins later!

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/BX16VALVE/Audi%20S8/b05b6896.jpg

That's what mine look like. I class this as a dull aluminium finish, when comparing with aftermarket replicas, where they are chrome-plated plastic.

Shiny to the point of being a "mirror-like" finish when new.

HPsauce
19th April 2012, 01:06 PM
That's what mine look like.
Mine too.
And I've never ever polished them, just washed with water and the rare drop of mild detergent added, using a soft cloth...

Night Train
20th April 2012, 06:45 PM
Mine look like that too HP.
Just got to address a folding 'issue' with my n/s mirror.

Jake242
21st April 2012, 07:42 PM
A little update, used 10 hours so far... and I'm only 80% done with 1 mirror!

http://share.xboxlife.dk/file/y2zmmgqxmddmyjq1njg3zjviyje5zgm2zjnjzjflmme.jpg
http://share.xboxlife.dk/file/mdayyjuwmdfmnji3zmm0otqxyjvimda4mddiodi0owq.jpg

Thoughts?

notorious
21st April 2012, 08:14 PM
I'd suggest to send them to body shop to finish with clear lacquer. I assume what we see in your pictures is bare aluminium. Aluminium cab be polished to mirror shine, but it'll oxidate within one salty winter, so the advise is to cover mirrors with clear lacquer or perhaps even power paint with sparkling silver paint.

Nollywood
21st April 2012, 08:24 PM
I'd probably be looking to get them anodized.

ainarssems
21st April 2012, 08:31 PM
They are either anodized or coated with clear lacquer originally. A frind of mine had polished alloy wheels on BMW and he were cleaning them every week and polishing every 2 weeks to keep them in good condition. Also using some kind of wax to protect from corrosion and not using in winter.

47p2
21st April 2012, 09:03 PM
Looking good.

Keep the sanding in as straight a line as possible, then when you move to the next grade sand at 90 degrees to the lines on the cover, then go 90 degrees again etc.

What this does is remove the last lot of lines made by the wet & dry, because it is done at 90 degrees it doesn't open the groves but flattens them down, sounds a bit crazy but it works

Remember
Then polish +++

Conan_the_Librarian
21st April 2012, 09:17 PM
The S8 alluminium mirrors are solid and annodised. I have removed the annodisiation on a set and it took several hours with 80 grit flap wheels. It then took far longer to repolish the alluminim to a mirror finish, acid etch and lacquer. If a stone strike has pierced the anodising then corrosion will set in and there is no way to get the pittting out and maintain the anodised coat. Once the annodised coat is removed it is like a polished wheel rim. You need to keep doing it.

I'm sure I have put some photos on here somewhere.

Here. (http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1406&highlight=mirror)

HTH
CtL

Jake242
21st April 2012, 09:24 PM
Looking good.

Keep the sanding in as straight a line as possible, then when you move to the next grade sand at 90 degrees to the lines on the cover, then go 90 degrees again etc.

What this does is remove the last lot of lines made by the wet & dry, because it is done at 90 degrees it doesn't open the groves but flattens them down, sounds a bit crazy but it works

Remember
Then polish +++

Sounds like good advise:-)

Im using
500 wet
800 wet
1200 wet
and 2000 wet

then hand polished with autosol

I had to go 80 to get the bad stone-chips away... I'm down to bare aluminium now... but need to grain up again to get some of the scratches the bigger grain sandpaper did

I will see if I can find a place to anodize them.... £225 and probably +20 hours of manual labour.... not gonna skip on the finish:)

/Jake

47p2
21st April 2012, 10:58 PM
Do you need to go as course as 80 even 120, this must put horrendous scores on the ally and will be a nightmare to remove the scoring.

Try starting with the 240

Jake242
21st April 2012, 11:22 PM
Do you need to go as course as 80 even 120, this must put horrendous scores on the ally and will be a nightmare to remove the scoring.

Try starting with the 240

I had one chip(the one that looked like there was plastic underneath) it was like 1/2 mm.... went through the anodized layer, so I had to take the entire anodized layer off... with 240 this would take 15 hours alone:-)

The last picture I posted shows a finish that has not been polished(as I have no polishing machine)... I recon I can finish it down so no visible scratches is there... then send it to an anodizing place that can chemical clean and polish it and then anodize it, thats the plan anyways.

I will update once everything is done.

Cheers for the good advise all around:)

/Jake