PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting door shut position

HPsauce
20th May 2012, 07:56 PM
Sounds simple, probably obvious, but I'm a wary soul.

My NSR door isn't closed to a good enough line, maybe as much as 3mm "open" at the rear edge, but secure.
A quick look at the mechanism shows a number of Torx heads on the door catch/slot and the striker plate/bracket on the body. No obvious movement marks anywhere, so maybe it's "crept" over time.

So I need the door to shut a bit "tighter", but which set of bolts do you undo, by how much, to move whatever needs adjusting?

PsYcHe
20th May 2012, 08:21 PM
The ones on the body striker are the ones to move... Just loosen them a touch and slide it in (as it were)

briang9
20th May 2012, 09:22 PM
Just loosen them a touch and slide it in (as it were)

oooh Matron, as they used to say in Carry on Films:p

HPsauce
21st May 2012, 08:45 AM
Job done, thanks for the advice, looks a lot better now. +++

The striker is held on by 2 bolts with a large 12-pointed star recess!
Not sure if it takes a Torx but I don't have one of the right size to hand anyway.

Found a screwdriver bit that went in and worked OK. :o
The upper one was pretty loose and the lower one easy to turn. Both are much tighter now.

Anyone know what the correct tool actually is?

IT
21st May 2012, 09:06 AM
The 12 pointed bolts are called 'triple square' - It is a special tool, and you can sometimes get a Torx to sit in - But - If you round it off (especially on the drive shafts where they're commonly used) its a knightmare to sort out.... Better off buying the correct tool +++

47p2
21st May 2012, 09:08 AM
Anyone know what the correct tool actually is?

You need an M8 Spline Bit

http://s.ecrater.com/stores/17095/4c2985b8c5d7f_17095n.jpg

HPsauce
26th May 2012, 05:16 PM
Better off buying the correct tool +++You need an M8 Spline Bit

So I did, got a set of various sizes which arrived the other day.
Since then I've been round checking, adjusting and tightening everything obvious that they fit, starting with all the doors. :ROFL:

Is this "normal behaviour"? :o
(I guess it is for people here :rolleyes: )

47p2
26th May 2012, 08:43 PM
You can never have too many tools, and checking parts are tight is mandatory +++

HPsauce
26th May 2012, 09:18 PM
Oooh Matron! :tuttut:

47p2
26th May 2012, 10:01 PM
I have a few tools that I will possibly only use a handful of times in my lifetime, but what it saves me over that period will more than cover the cost, then there is the satisfaction that I repaired it myself. as the B&Q advert says "I did that"