PDA

View Full Version : Door and boot locks

The_Laird
2nd July 2012, 07:21 AM
Just before the return trip from The Lakes this weekend I discovered:

1. The n/s rear door won't open from the inside (checked the child lock - it's not that)
2. The boot won't shut properly. I have to really give it a hell of a slam and even then the 'boot open' warning is often on and so the alarm won't set. A liberal spray with WD40 didn't have any impact either

Not sure I did anything to induce these faults - any ideas?:Confused:

PsYcHe
2nd July 2012, 07:58 AM
Door could just be that the cable has fallen off from the handle inside.

Boot.. Not sure, are there adjusters on the boot lid itself, try screwing them into the boot lid by a little.

The_Laird
2nd July 2012, 08:08 AM
Yes, there are adjusting screws on 2 spring-loaded thingies. I'll try this at lunch time.

As for the door, it's in to A4 Audi for the gearbox seal on Friday, so they can have a look at that!

Thanks Richard

HPsauce
2nd July 2012, 08:42 AM
I don't think the spring-loaded "thingies" do much other than provide a bit of anti-rattle tightness and ensure the boot lines up with the body when shut.

I'd be looking at the mounting of the latch mechanism or striker plate to see if anything has come loose or moved.
Seem to recall one of the fixing bolts on mine came loose a while (years) back allowing the relevant part to move somewhat with similar symptoms.

The_Laird
3rd July 2012, 07:28 AM
Had it all apart last night and it seems to be a fault with the catch on the boot lid. As the striker plate pushes the 'latch' upwards, a second latch is supposed to spring in to lock the 'D' shaped striker in place. This seems to be very weak and, despite cleaning and oiling, it still doesn't really shut right.

Just waiting for A8 Parts to open...