PDA

View Full Version : Hub Locator Depth

-ollie-
16th July 2012, 01:57 PM
Chaps,

Hopefully someone can help. A friend of mine works in an engineering shop and is knocking me up some spacers out of tool steel in exchange for a drink.

These are the details I've given him, can someone correct me if I'm wrong? My friend has come back to me and asked for the depth of the hub locator, he's assuming it's 13mm, but wants to check. Can anyone confirm?

Finally, having done some research on here today I've asked for 30mm per axle on the rear, and 26mm per axle on the front. I'm running standard S8 18" wheels, will this setup give me a nice flush look?

TIA,

Ollie

Iyole
16th July 2012, 03:50 PM
Hi Ollie

I have 20mm spacers on front and back..... I thnk 30/26 might be just a bit
too wide... Could get rubbing on the arch.... If I have 2 heavy weights in
the back seat mine rub on the Arch but this could be due too the lowered suspension....

Pic of Spacer on http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3143&page=11

ainarssems
16th July 2012, 04:06 PM
Chaps,

Hopefully someone can help. A friend of mine works in an engineering shop and is knocking me up some spacers out of tool steel in exchange for a drink.

These are the details I've given him, can someone correct me if I'm wrong? My friend has come back to me and asked for the depth of the hub locator, he's assuming it's 13mm, but wants to check. Can anyone confirm?

Finally, having done some research on here today I've asked for 30mm per axle on the rear, and 26mm per axle on the front. I'm running standard S8 18" wheels, will this setup give me a nice flush look?

TIA,

Ollie

I am not a fan of spacers at all and avoid at all costs but you can surely check the measurements on your car with your wheels and see how much clearance you have and what's the depth of hub locator.

I have 20mm spacers on front and back..... I thnk 30/26 might be just a bit
too wide... Could get rubbing on the arch....

Is that 20mm per wheel or per axle?

Iyole
16th July 2012, 04:14 PM
Thanx for pointing that out..... Typical of me scanning and not reading .... :tuttut:

You right.....mine are 20mm per wheel so 30mm per axle would be +++

Spacers do put extra strain on Suspension and Bearings....having to replace a Hub and Bearing at the Mo.....

But they do give a nice "Stance" and if it isn't a daily driver the costs don't
outwiegh the Looks IMO.

-ollie-
16th July 2012, 04:19 PM
I am not a fan of spacers at all and avoid at all costs but you can surely check the measurements on your car with your wheels and see how much clearance you have and what's the depth of hub locator.

Is that 20mm per wheel or per axle?

Hi mate,

Yes I'm aware that they put more stress on componentry over time, however my car doesn't do big mileage and to be perfectly honest the factory look of the wheels buried in the arches looks dreadful in my opinion.

I could take a wheel off and measure the depth of the hub locator, but that would mean doing it in the rain on a street in London, so if someone knows the depth it'd save me a job +++

-ollie-
16th July 2012, 04:20 PM
Thanx for pointing that out..... Typical of me scanning and not reading .... :tuttut:

You right.....mine are 20mm per wheel so 30mm per axle would be +++

Spacers do put extra strain on Suspension and Bearings....having to replace a Hub and Bearing at the Mo.....

But they do give a nice "Stance" and if it isn't a daily driver the costs don't
outwiegh the Looks IMO.

Thanks Ivole +++

Iyole
16th July 2012, 05:28 PM
I could take a wheel off and measure the depth of the hub locator, but that would mean doing it in the rain on a street in London, so if someone knows the depth it'd save me a job +++

If you can wait till the weekend I'll pop a wheel off and let you have the Specs.... +++

S is with the Stealers at the mo getting some TLC....

-ollie-
16th July 2012, 05:59 PM
If you can wait till the weekend I'll pop a wheel off and let you have the Specs.... +++

S is with the Stealers at the mo getting some TLC....

That's very kind of you mate but don't worry. If no one knows I will do the same tomorrow +++

-ollie-
17th July 2012, 03:01 PM
Just in case anyone is wondering the depth of the hub locator on a 2001 S8 is 11.5mm.

+++