PDA

View Full Version : Xenons/Bi-Xenons

-ollie-
19th July 2012, 06:32 PM
Guys,

Firstly, my apologies as this has no doubt been done to death, but after reading a lot on the topic I'm still not convinced I understand.

Here are the headlights fitted to my 2001 S8.

http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/ae16/Bromlow-Motorsport/photo27.jpg

Do I have Xenons, or Bi-Xenons?

I've literally just fitted some 6000k bulbs into them for the dipped beam, but now my sidelights look very "orange". I'm planning to replace them with a pair of LED ones from here as per the forum suggestions;

http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/bax9-offset-pins-c-101_131.html?osCsid=11453a6f7a6adb85bc0f65479dcfdf 77

Will these fit my car specifically, and will the colour match be good with the dipped beam, both are 6000k so should do?

Thanks in advance, and apologies if it's a dumb question.

Ollie

HPsauce
19th July 2012, 06:39 PM
Can't comment on Bi-xenon or not except to say that my PF S8 has HID's for the DIPPED beam and standard bulbs for the main beam. :Confused:

As for indicators, I think LED's are useless. Get the "chromed" filament bulbs which are widely available, cheap, work well and look "silver" when not operating.
Just fitted some in my S8 and they look much better. +++
(also replaced the side repeaters with clear plastic over "silvered" bulbs)

-ollie-
19th July 2012, 06:41 PM
Can't comment on Bi-xenon or not except to say that my PF S8 has HID's for the DIPPED beam and standard bulbs for the main beam. :Confused:

As for indicators, I think LED's are useless. Get the "chromed" filament bulbs which are widely available, cheap, work well and look "silver" when not operating.
Just fitted some in my S8 and they look much better. +++
(also replaced the side repeaters with clear plastic over "silvered" bulbs)

Sorry chap, I was referring to the sidelights being replaced with LED's as opposed to the indicators, however those chrome filament bulbs are a good call too, I can lose the fried egg look then. +++

HPsauce
19th July 2012, 06:45 PM
I've played with LED sidelights on my Focus but they don't last long so reverted to "traditional". Never bothered on the S8. :cool:

Fried egg look absent on both. :D

HPsauce
19th July 2012, 06:48 PM
Sorry chap, I was referring to the sidelights
Indeed you were, it was the orange indicator in the photo that diverted my brain. :Confused:

Architex_mA8tey
19th July 2012, 06:57 PM
they are bi xenons that you have there Ollie - or Xenon-pluses as audi calls them, you can tell by the little circular sidelight bulb in the upper corner nearest the grille, normal projection headlights and single xenons like mine dont have that look to them +++

-ollie-
19th July 2012, 07:31 PM
Excellent, cheers chaps +++

Is it sad I'm genuinely pleased they're bi-xenons? :ROFL:

So am I okay to grab the LED's I posted the link to for my sidelights?

Adrian E
19th July 2012, 07:42 PM
If those are the right fitment then they look better than what was available when I was looking a year or so ago. The ones that are a flat board with LEDs on 2 sides look cack as you can see the sidelight bulb though the lens if you look closely.

Pull a bulb (they do literally pull out and you then remove the plug) and check its markings to be safe.

Doddle to fit - tonnes of space!

Did you replace like for like on the main xenon bulbs? The beam pattern can be poor with the wrong ones fitted +++

-ollie-
19th July 2012, 08:01 PM
If those are the right fitment then they look better than what was available when I was looking a year or so ago. The ones that are a flat board with LEDs on 2 sides look cack as you can see the sidelight bulb though the lens if you look closely.

Pull a bulb (they do literally pull out and you then remove the plug) and check its markings to be safe.

Doddle to fit - tonnes of space!

Did you replace like for like on the main xenon bulbs? The beam pattern can be poor with the wrong ones fitted +++

Thanks, will do Adrian.

I fitted D2R's, same as what was in there +++

HPsauce
19th July 2012, 11:09 PM
chrome filament bulbs are a good call too
This is the overall result with chromed indicator bulbs, clear side repeaters and chromed repeater bulbs:

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=4090&stc=1&d=1342739565

Dezzy
24th July 2012, 11:06 AM
This is the overall result with chromed indicator bulbs, clear side repeaters and chromed repeater bulbs:

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=4090&stc=1&d=1342739565

Where did you get you wheels painted that colour?

HPsauce
24th July 2012, 11:20 AM
That's factory colour.... :Confused:
Maybe with a bit of brake dust on them?

Dezzy
24th July 2012, 11:27 AM
:rofl:

Architex_mA8tey
2nd September 2012, 08:48 PM
while we are on the subject of Xenons etc a lot of people ask what is the difference between D2S bulbs and D2R bulbs.

The definitive answer is -
D2R and D2S bulbs are for factory HID installed bulbs.

D2R bulbs were originally designed for Mercedes-Benz. Consequently, D2R bulbs and D2S bulbs (used initially by BMW) feature subtle differences at the base of the bulb for fitment purposes. The differences primarily consist of a cut-out and notch for fastening purposes being located differently. In addition to the base varying slightly, D2R bulbs are easily distinguished by ceramic paint along the sides of the capsule, which reduces glare to oncoming traffic as these are placed in reflector type headlights.

D2S are intended for projector type headlights (Those with a lens) which is what our Audis have so you should be using D2S's +++

HPsauce
14th January 2013, 05:47 PM
A bit of a meander, but still on the subject of Xenons....
My new (FL) S8 has standard Xenons with filament main bulbs.
My first observation is that the main beams seem a lot brighter than on my PF S8.:Confused:

However, being rather more observant I noticed that when switching back to dipped the filament bulbs went out and a fraction of a second later the Xenon beam pattern changed, with a sharp top cutoff (as normal).
So is there also some sort of moveable shutter in there that means the xenons also have a higher beam when not dipped?

My PF S8 the dipped Xenon beams are definitely not changing at all when switching.

Another difference that I've read is that PF xenons have "static" levelling set at start-up whereas my new one has the "dynamic" version.

IT
14th January 2013, 06:47 PM
A bit of a meander, but still on the subject of Xenons....
My new (FL) S8 has standard Xenons with filament main bulbs.
My first observation is that the main beams seem a lot brighter than on my PF S8.:Confused:

However, being rather more observant I noticed that when switching back to dipped the filament bulbs went out and a fraction of a second later the Xenon beam pattern changed, with a sharp top cutoff (as normal).
So is there also some sort of moveable shutter in there that means the xenons also have a higher beam when not dipped?

My PF S8 the dipped Xenon beams are definitely not changing at all when switching.

Another difference that I've read is that PF xenons have "static" levelling set at start-up whereas my new one has the "dynamic" version.

Yes, yes and more yes.

Your new car has bi-xenons so the xenon bulb is used for high and low beam by means of physical movement of the headlamp inside. The halogen is there only for flashing as xenons cannot warm up fast enough for this.

All FL xenons have xenon self levelling using 2 control arms on the n/s suspension arms.

PF did not have this.

+++

HPsauce
14th January 2013, 07:15 PM
Yes, yes and more yes.

Your new car has bi-xenons so the xenon bulb is used for high and low beam

Excellent, I don't think my seller knew this (or cared actually). :ROFL:

Adrian E
14th January 2013, 07:55 PM
With the bi-xenons the standard filament bulb also comes on with HID main beam. I've previously upgraded my flash/main beam to a good quality Philips bulb at about a tenner each, which makes quite a difference.

Also worth considering if the light output is getting a bit low from the D2R HIDs that new bulbs are worth doing on age grounds, so long as you are certain of buying a genuine product. It's a minefield of fakes on ebay etc but there's good advice about to make sure what you're buying is genuine.

Don't believe anything on bulb web sites in terms of fitment - they don't seem to list the bi-xenons.

HPsauce
29th March 2013, 11:14 AM
I've previously upgraded my flash/main beam to a good quality Philips bulb at about a tenner each, which makes quite a difference.
I decided to do the same and bought some Osram "Cool Blue Intense" H7's and fitted them this morning.

They're advertised as "up to 4200 Kelvin Xenon Look", but they're very disappointing. :-(
They are somewhat whiter (and brighter) than the stock bulbs (also Osram) but still look very yellow alongside the sidelights and/or HID's. :tuttut:

I guess I'll live with them unless someone has a recommendation for a really good matching bulb?

Adrian E
29th March 2013, 04:58 PM
I decided to do the same and bought some Osram "Cool Blue Intense" H7's and fitted them this morning.

They're advertised as "up to 4200 Kelvin Xenon Look", but they're very disappointing. :-(
They are somewhat whiter (and brighter) than the stock bulbs (also Osram) but still look very yellow alongside the sidelights and/or HID's. :tuttut:

I guess I'll live with them unless someone has a recommendation for a really good matching bulb?

Anything other than a standard colour bulb will give reduced light output due to the colour temperature being 'off' from the optimal.

My sidelight bulbs are an awful colour match to the headlights but were claimed to be the closest filament type bulb in colour. I wasn't convinced by the quality of the LED options in that design at the time, although better ones may now be available?

I just wanted properly bright lights for my flash/main beam assist and front fogs, as they're so rarely used the most important thing to me is that they put more light out.

I have these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Philips-X-treme-Vision-H7-AUDI-A8-1999-2002-High-Beam-/330612942934?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4cfa112856

From that seller who I've used a number of times with no issues at all. Those are the right fitment for both applications.

If I put my front fogs on with my headlights on I can actually see more light on the road, unlike the crappy standard bulbs that were in them originally! That's after fitting new xenon headlight bulbs too - the originals of those were past it too.

HPsauce
29th March 2013, 05:23 PM
My sidelight bulbs are an awful colour match to the headlights but were claimed to be the closest filament type bulb in colour. I wasn't convinced by the quality of the LED options in that design at the time, although better ones may now be available?
Did you miss my recent posts on that? :Confused:
See post 13 on in this thread: http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?p=54648#post54648 +++
And this post linking to eBay: http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showpost.php?p=54505&postcount=61

As for the additional filament main beams, my Xenons are more than adequate so I'd prefer the additional ones to match and for "flashing" they don't need to be that powerful.

notorious
29th March 2013, 05:26 PM
I have these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Philips-X-treme-Vision-H7-AUDI-A8-1999-2002-High-Beam-/330612942934?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4cfa112856

Thanks for sharing Adrian. Just purchased 4 bulbs for beam assist and front fogs with your link.

In terms of sidelights matching dipped beam: Has anyone tried the 'H6W PHILIPS H6W BLUEVISION SIDELIGHT BULBS 12v 6w 3400K' bulbs? Any feedback?

Link: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110470072216

HPsauce
29th March 2013, 05:35 PM
Front fogs are a different problem as light scattering is much greater for shorter wavelegths, so whiter or bluer is actually worse.
Brighter bulbs that just produce more light are fine, but the yellower ones are actually better. :cool:

Adrian E
29th March 2013, 05:47 PM
Thanks for sharing Adrian. Just purchased 4 bulbs for beam assist and front fogs with your link.

In terms of sidelights matching dipped beam: Has anyone tried the 'H6W PHILIPS H6W BLUEVISION SIDELIGHT BULBS 12v 6w 3400K' bulbs? Any feedback?

Link: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110470072216

Those are what I have in mine, bought from Powerbulbs in 2010, and they're nowhere near xenon colour

HP - I did miss your thread on the LED options - will have a look :)

notorious
29th March 2013, 05:54 PM
Did you miss my recent posts on that? :Confused:
See post 13 on in this thread: http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?p=54648#post54648 +++
And this post linking to eBay: http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showpost.php?p=54505&postcount=61

As for the additional filament main beams, my Xenons are more than adequate so I'd prefer the additional ones to match and for "flashing" they don't need to be that powerful.

I tried those 'flat' type LED sidelights and they are not reliable in my experience. 6 months and you discover one bulb is dead.

Yes, they match xenon in terms of colour.

Adrian E
31st March 2013, 04:49 PM
Here's a photo I took to show the colour difference with those Philips bulbs Notorious asked about:

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=5797&stc=1&d=1364748516

notorious
31st March 2013, 08:09 PM
Thanks for posting this picture Adrian. Doesn't match at all.

It seems the only option to match xenon colour is to use LEDs, but the issue is to find reliable LEDs which don't look ugly in switched off condition too.

Adrian E
31st March 2013, 08:16 PM
I'm waiting for those too - but think due to the odd bulb type they may never become available. Philips and others do seem to be producing LED versions of common interior bulb types now with a proper case on the bulb, but the price is eye-watering

HPsauce
31st March 2013, 08:20 PM
the issue is to find reliable LEDs which don't look ugly in switched off condition too.
The ones I have look fine to me. As to reliability I can't say yet, but they're cheap enough to not worry. :ROFL:

notorious
31st March 2013, 08:26 PM
Cheap I agree. I just hate to drive with one sidelight off. It takes time before you notice...

HPsauce
31st March 2013, 08:29 PM
Ah, but when they match the Xenons no-one notices one missing. +++

notorious
31st March 2013, 08:52 PM
Then perhaps remove both bulbs and solve problem that way? :)

rs32
28th May 2013, 10:18 PM
hello all - new to the forum and hoping to switch to a 2002 S8 in the next few weeks from my current BMW E39.

Having a slight panic about a car I've seen not having xenons - but have read here and elsewhere that all 2002 S8's had them as standard - could someone please confirm.

Made the mistake of thinking I could get away with aftermarket HID on my current car and won't be doing that again :)

Many thanks +++

notorious
28th May 2013, 10:23 PM
Hi RS32, welcome to the forum.

I can't confirm that all 2002 S8's came with xenon as maybe there was one idiot who ordered car without xenons or downgraded. I'd recommend 'xenon pluses', also known as bi-xenons: http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2265

Can you post a link to the car you've seen? S8 without xenons is a strange combination...

The_Laird
29th May 2013, 05:08 AM
Welcome from me too. I'm sure someone who really knows will answer your question, but I've not seen a late S8 without Xenons either

rs32
29th May 2013, 07:43 AM
thanks for the friendly welcome :)

(sorry no ad available) - but the car I've seen doesn't have the twin circle lights on the inner edge - just the "normal" projector-style lenses.

I'll check when I go see it again for the metal ballast boxes and hi-voltage stickers. Hopefully it's OK !

Adrian E
29th May 2013, 07:45 AM
Does it have headlight washers? If so it's likely to have xenons of some description - either bi-xenon which have the tiny sidelight built into the top inner corner and the diagonal lines visible across the lens, or regular projector style dipped xenons with regular high beam.

rs32
29th May 2013, 07:55 AM
from memory yes it does have the washers, or at least it has the cutout panels (colour-coded) in the front bumper.

going to see the car again in a few days so will triple-check to avoid disappointment. hopefully within a week I'll be able to put some pics up !

Adrian E
29th May 2013, 08:33 AM
Cutouts in the bumper are for the pop up washers - early cars have fixed washer jets. You'll soon know when you switch them +++

Bi-xenons are not a cheap retrofit unless you happen to find someone breaking one on ebay who doesn't know what they cost from Audi if you break one!! They are nice to have but as long as it has factory xenons of some type I'd just live with it.

Worth putting some more details up of the car you're considering if you want any views on condition/issues/if the car is known

Singh
29th May 2013, 10:02 AM
thanks for the friendly welcome :)

(sorry no ad available) - but the car I've seen doesn't have the twin circle lights on the inner edge - just the "normal" projector-style lenses.

I'll check when I go see it again for the metal ballast boxes and hi-voltage stickers. Hopefully it's OK !

Check if it has self-levelling lights, if it does, i.e you cannot adjust the beam positioning by selecting 0,1,2,3, then chances are it has Xenons. If it is an S8, it should have Xenons.

Architex_mA8tey
30th May 2013, 09:34 AM
my car had headlamp washers but no xenons originally Adrian - the projectors look exactly the same as standard xenons, so check inside the engine bay and see if you have the ignitor boxes on the back of the headlights (silver box the size of a cigarette package). I retrofitted Amars standard xenons to mine when he upgraded his to Xenon pluses and was hugely impressed with the improvement in light output and colour over the standard projectors, but I do prefer the look of the standard projectors/xenons to the xenon pluses from a sidelight point of view +++

rs32
30th May 2013, 06:23 PM
have got hold of the full spec list for the car in question - the lookup link in the sticky section was very useful +++

Here's the 2 things that I think means I am ready to rock with this car next week :

8JJ = Headlight with gas discharge lamp for driving on the left
8Q3 = Automatic headlight-range adjustment dynamic (self-adjusting while driving)

So this says to me normal (not bi) xenon ?? :)

PsYcHe
30th May 2013, 09:05 PM
Yup.. Normal Xenons I'd say.

rs32
2nd June 2013, 09:50 PM
went for a second viewing and they are definitely xenons - the yellow high voltage stickers are all present and correct so the car matches the spec sheet :)

The_Laird
15th July 2013, 07:39 AM
Does anyone have a couple of good photos of Xenon and Bi-Xenon headlights for comparison? I'm interested to see what's common and what's different.

notorious
15th July 2013, 01:07 PM
Jim, nice pic of Amar's D2 here: http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1395

Architex_mA8tey
15th July 2013, 05:39 PM
they are the Xenon pluses of course, but the xenons look almost identical to the normal projection headlights - here is a "before" of mine -

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=6386&stc=1&d=1373909901

and here is an "after" when I converted to Xenons.

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=6387&stc=1&d=1373909901

The difference from standard projection lights was amazing but I prefer the look of the standard Xenons to the plusses, purely because I dont like the little sidelights they have positioned up in the "cross-eyed" position!! :rolleyes: