PDA

View Full Version : The Ian / Plankton D2 regretably for sale

Bushido
25th July 2012, 09:34 AM
Hi folks.
I appreciate I am a fresh face on the forums and thus have little real history or credibility. That makes the decision to re-sell this car all the harder for me.I wont say too much, but the long and short is that our personal circumstances have been a little challengingov er the past few weeks since taking proud ownership of the car. We laid my father in law to rest Tuesday and now his wife has had a stroke. There are other complications but thats all for another time.

What can I tell you that is new? Very little to be honest. I bought the car from Ian (IT) and was treated like a friend from the first communications. On meeting him the car was sold to me within the first 20 minutes (I just didnt let on to Ian +++) It drives and looks like one of the most honest cars I have ever seen or driven. I know that Ian had worked his magic on fettling a few issues that the car had whilst with its previous owner. He simply enthused about the car - and is in a much stronger position and understanding about these beasties than I ever will.
I dont think I have covered 500 miles in the car. All I have done is to reboot it with some matching quality part worn tyres and clay bar and Meguires the bodywork.

Im going to drop Ian a message and see if he would be good enough to add a little detail on the fettling he did whilst he owned the car. I do know that the cabin motor which clicked was replaced, the Sat Nav updated at Audi, parking sensors sorted...The huge job was the interior swap to half leather / half alacantra. People who know Ian will appreciate that his cars need to be of a certain standard and "just so" for him to settle with them and just enjoy the driving experience.

I will be back to the A8. Just now isnt quite the time for us.

Thank you for taking the time to read. I would respectfully ask that all enquiries are genuine and that people appreciate that all I need to see is to recoup what the car stands me. I am not open to opportunist offers. Things are tough enough just now.

Below is the original advert Plankton posted.Hope he doesnt mind me plagerising it here. It can be found in full on the For Sale section.

Audi A8 4.2 40v quattro. Facelift 310bhp model. Silver/black leather (1999 V)
Private plate included (A8 UDH).

Just had cambelt, alternator (ribbed) belt, thermostat and water pump changed (April 2012).

103,000 miles (now 108,000)

MOT 28th November 2012
Tax end November 2012

Gearbox oil changed at 60,000 miles.

S8 18" wheels
Electric slide and tilt solar panel sunroof (powers the interior fan when parked in the sun)
Double glazing
Rear(electric) and side blinds
Independent left/right climate control with icy air-con.
Excellent Bose stereo (6 disk cartridge).
Front and rear parking sensors.
Built in Sat-Nav with 2007 disk
Parking sensors front and rear
Front AND rear electric heated seats
Cruise control
Xenon lights
Auto dimming rear view mirror with ambient red interior lighting.
Cheap car tax
"A8" personal plate included
Sump replaced, transmission oil changed.

Wishing everybody well. Love your cars, but love your families more folks. And if you have kids off for 6 weeks - make the time count. +++

Looking to see £3000 for a fantastic car.
Please PM me if interested.

IT
25th July 2012, 09:57 AM
This is a truely nice D2 chaps, and I know Paul isnt letting it go easily.

The highlights of what I did while i had it:

Installed full S8 Black Half Leather / Half alcantara interior
Fixed Xenon levelling problem
Fitted genuine S8 Ally mirrors
Fitted genuine S8 grills
Fixed broken HVAC flap motors
Fixed Screenwash level sensor
Fixed broken PDC sensor
Fixed brake pad warning light
Fixed broken Sat Nav screen
Retrieved Sat Nav code from Audi
Replaced cup holder
Replaced 'Menu button'
Replaced missing Tool kit items

Basically, attended to every niggly little thing that would often accompany a 2nd hand D2. I then did 4000 troublefree miles in it.

Factory options:

Bose
Solar sunroof
Blinds
Heated rear seats
Auto dim mirror
Servotronic
Full colour Sat Nav
TV (analogue)
Multi function steering wheel
Phone Prep
Xenons

Its Pauls car, so please make any enquiries to him in the first instance, but I'll try and help with any technical queries that he struggles with....

Its low mileage, frugal (relitively) has a high spec and some expensive S8 trims, which can be removed easily if desired - and sold at a profit. Its recently had the Cambelt, pump & stat changed, and had an A/C regas not so long back.

Paul - Good luck with the sale +++

plankton
25th July 2012, 10:29 AM
What was up with the sat nav screen? Wasn't aware there was a problem?

Singh
25th July 2012, 10:34 AM
I also know the owner who had it before Plankton, he's on this forum somewhere. I can't remeber the username but he was really happy with the car and I think he fitted sports suspension to it, or maybe he didn't get around to it. The car was Kent based.

A8pilot
25th July 2012, 10:38 AM
Any pics?

IT
25th July 2012, 10:47 AM
What was up with the sat nav screen? Wasn't aware there was a problem?

Common fault - Flickers a bit when you move the screen around. See here:

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?p=42805#post42805

All fixed now +++

IT
25th July 2012, 10:49 AM
I also know the owner who had it before Plankton, he's on this forum somewhere. I can't remeber the username but he was really happy with the car and I think he fitted sports suspension to it, or maybe he didn't get around to it. The car was Kent based.

Standard suspension on it - I was going to fit it with S8 suspension, but given that I do mainly motorway miles I left it as it was far more comfortable overall....

plankton
25th July 2012, 12:40 PM

I bought it from a chap in Herts. Think he had it 4 years. He's on Pistonheads as "bt52". He replaced the A8 with a 750.

Bushido
25th July 2012, 06:16 PM
Original ad here folks. Thanks all

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4714

Bushido
29th July 2012, 05:26 PM
Reduced to only £2750 and Im losing money hand over fist now...

:-( :-( :-(

Singh
30th July 2012, 10:35 AM
Try including some photos in the advert.

sarg
30th July 2012, 11:25 AM
Reduced to only £2750 and Im losing money hand over fist now...

:-( :-( :-(

good luck with the sale

IT
30th July 2012, 12:27 PM
It's still £500 more than Plankton was asking for it before

It also had a good long list of niggles and not so great tyres on it when Plankton had it, not to mention the 'standard' interior.

A £500 uplift from where it was, to where it is now is the bargain of the century....

Bushido
30th July 2012, 06:55 PM
Absolutely agree Ian.
The litmus test is - go and find a comparable one for the same money. I can't.
I need to see it gone and if I felt I was being greedy on the ask I would drop it.
Its a great car at a competitive price.
Any doubters just need see and drive it.
Its just an honest car with a proven pedigree.
+++

Pics will be added tonight. Also going on PistonHeads

best wishes

CliveH
30th July 2012, 07:36 PM
Sounds like a ridiculous bargain to me! Just wish I had room for it...can't imagine it will be around for long at that price.

Looking forward to the pics +++

gary2011
30th July 2012, 10:50 PM
i missed out on this car before when it was for sale on pistonheads,and if only i had the asking price for it now id jump on this like a shot.Someone is going to be very flipping lucky

Bushido
1st August 2012, 08:29 PM
http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5099

Ian has kindly added a couple of pics.

Im waiting for my kid brov to download some for me. Apparantly hit a glitch in that the camera he used has pro quality (38 million wotsits??) and has made it very difficult to reduce to a pic size that will download onto a site...:-(

there are some beauties on their way +++

Bushido
5th August 2012, 09:01 PM
Almost completed the works of a full valet.
The cleaner it gets the more honest it looks and feels...:-(

Dont ber shy with fair offers here folks...:Confused:

Adrian E
19th August 2012, 03:40 PM
Has this car sold? Pm'd seller but no reply :(

Adrian E
31st August 2012, 08:55 PM
Well now know the car has found a new owner who sounds over the moon with it - he's registered on here so I'm sure will post in due course. Got involved in a discussion on pistonheads forum and recommended this car over a couple of auto trader options. Always nice when buyer+seller=2 happy people :D

Baryonyx
21st September 2012, 12:16 AM
Yes, it is I! And if it weren't for Adrian I would never have known at this car. He will never know the joy he has brought me, finding this car. It's a dream car for me in the same way as a white Sierra Cosworth 4x4 is...

Paul was also a fantastic seller. He really inspired confidence in the car and his passion for it was quite clear. Paul, I hope you can get back to A8's some time. I know tuned Saabs are cool but they aren't as cool as these! +++

Here are a couple of photos that sort of sum up the past weeks I've had with this car...

http://i669.photobucket.com/albums/vv52/Baryonyx2112/Audi%20A8/ShellGarage026.jpg

http://i669.photobucket.com/albums/vv52/Baryonyx2112/Audi%20A8/Tesco%20car%20park%20014_zps2e10df48.jpg