PDA

View Full Version : Wing Mirrors and codes

ulfilias
26th July 2012, 09:53 AM
Hi There,

I have a 2001 S8 - WAUzzz4Dz1N006219

My wizzy label codes say :

6XL = Exterior mirrors: with memory function, automatically dimming, electrically foldable/adjustable/heated
5SJ = Left exterior mirror: convex
6TS = Right exterior mirror: aspherical, large viewing field

Popping the drivers side mirror off as it got somewhat flooded with the recent weather and it internally smeared and is only just useful, the code on the back is 8D0-857-536-H

Now it seems the important part of that is the H - which is Auto-dimming, heated version with a blind spot.

Ebay searching gives an AE version which is heated with blind spot round the £10-12 mark.

I'm not quite sure what auto dimming is/does and how it works. Not sure it has even been working as the internal rear view mirror don't think ever has, probably as the rear window is tinted/blacked out so I just don't get dazzled!

Anyway....There are a few other codes H's D's and blue glass, convex and all sorts of options....anyone detail/explain them as it is all seeming a little complex from the days when I had a origional mini and a mirror was defined by left or right!

Ta,
Lee

HPsauce
26th July 2012, 09:59 AM
What connections are there on the back of the mirror glass?
If it's heated there are 2 separate wires to spade terminals close together.
If it's auto-dim as well there is a separate 2-wire lead with a small plug on.

Also I believe auto-dim mirror glass is different having a sort of frame/surround. If you're "internally smeared" then that's probably what you have as there's an extra layer involved.

My mirrors are NOT auto-dim though the local wiring is still there, tucked up behind the folding motor. The rest of the loom isn't installed so they won't work.
(But I'm PF anyway so there are other differences too, including shape I believe)

Dezzy
26th July 2012, 10:35 AM
If i remember wrongly there is a thread somewhere about the mirrors and the codes for them.

Also i believe the early cars have wiring for the stuff never fitted and later cars had specific wiring looms

Adrian E
26th July 2012, 12:42 PM
The mirror glass part numbers you should have on your car are:

Left - 8D0 857 535G - mirror glass (convex) with carrier plate automatic anti dazzle

Right - 8D0 857 536H - mirror glass (aspherical-wide angle) with carrier plate automatic anti dazzle

I think if your car hadn't been spec'd with anti-dazzle it would've had blue tinted glass so replacement mirror glass alone would be:

L - 8D0 857 535D
R - 8D0 857 536E

But clear glass is probably easier to get and that is:

L - 8D0 857 535S
R - 8D0 857 536AE

I'm pretty sure the anti-dazzle exterior mirrors take their input on the level of tint to put on the glass from the internal mirror sensor, so if you've got limo tints anyway it would be pointless as well as expensive to put anti-dazzle glass back in.

The glass has a liquid crystal layer in it which gradually fails and turns a bronze colour with age.

by the way, Etka describes the point of switching from blue tint to clear glass as up to 4D-2-004 050 which I think basically means 2002 model year so yours as a 2001 would defo have been blue tinted without anti-dazzle fitted.

Adrian

ulfilias
26th July 2012, 02:17 PM
Hi There,

Cracking post Adrian!

What does the blue do for the driver or is it just to look cool. Most the stuff on ebay is the AE ones. I think finding an dimerble one is tricky and expensive and probably a bit daft when the limo tints make it irrelivant.

My passenger side is bronzed, where as the drivers side looks like the bevel seal has snapped and water/dirt has ingressed between the glass and the mirror surface

Thanks,
Lee

HPsauce
26th July 2012, 02:28 PM
I've got blue, it's just a sort of anti-dazzle coating and works well.
TBH I never really noticed the colour until I replaced a faulty glass recently and checked the spec.

I've retro-fitted an interior auto-dim mirror but never bothered trying to extend this to the door mirrors as what I have works fine.
(and yes the interior mirror sensor does control the door mirror dimming)

The bronze you mention is more likely the auto-dim coating failing.

I bought my mirror glass here: http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/ovi-autos
Not sure if they have exactly what you need, but do list some facelift mirror A8/S8 glass.

Adrian E
26th July 2012, 02:46 PM
You're looking at a maximum of £35 a side for blue tinted from Audi dealers - they're the same price as the clear glass option.

I'd be tempted to pay for the blue tinted and know you're getting a good quality unit - not sure the 'equivalent' parts on ebay will necessarily be as good quality and they do make a surprising difference if the glass has strange properties

HPsauce
26th July 2012, 05:14 PM
I'd be tempted to pay for the blue tinted
Just to add that they actually don't look at all blue from inside the car, presumably due to the window tint.

If you look at them from outside, especially reflected in the window, then you can see the blueness, but when driving you don't notice it at all. +++

Architex_mA8tey
26th July 2012, 06:29 PM
Excellent posts chaps +++
I would agree with Adrian that the cheaper glass ones on EBay aren't worth it, I've tried that and it's very thin and feels a lot cheaper. treat yourself to the OEM Audi ones they will be much much better. Now if you wanted auto-dimming. . . Ahem. . . .£195 ish each!! :eek:

ulfilias
30th July 2012, 11:01 AM
Hi There,

I'd already ordered a reasonably cheap (£10.50) one off ebay. It's the AE one and its heated with the blind spot. It fits fine and the quality is ok for the price. It's not the most perfect of mirrors but a damn sight better that one that i could hardly see out of. The car is a working model rather than a show piece so it will do for the moment!

Thanks,
Lee