PDA

View Full Version : Shakin' breakin'

The_Laird
7th August 2012, 01:02 PM
My brakes have developed a shake that is quite noticable through the steering column, but only between around 70-60mph. Above and below that, it seems OK. I've had the wheels re-balanced (one was about 25g out) but the problem persists.

Is this a nasty surprise lurking?:(

IT
7th August 2012, 01:03 PM
Warped disc would be my first bet......

Architex_mA8tey
7th August 2012, 01:30 PM
I'd agree with Ian but could be something obscure like tracking out causing uneven tyre wear and that then causing the vibration. I just replaced front discs and pads on mine and it's sure helped vibration issues +++

sarg
7th August 2012, 02:11 PM
I had something similar, was cured with new bushes

The_Laird
7th August 2012, 02:15 PM
Sounds like a trip to A4 Audi for a service and check-up :(

But the tracking is out - the tyres are scrubbed a little on the inside

The_Laird
7th August 2012, 02:16 PM
And no-one pointing out that the title of the post should have been Shakin' brakin'? I don't usually get away with poor spelling! :)

ainarssems
7th August 2012, 02:19 PM
Warped disk would affect all speeds. It's more likely to be worn suspension bushes.

The_Laird
7th August 2012, 02:53 PM
Just passed its MOT though - should that have been at least an advisory?

PsYcHe
7th August 2012, 03:49 PM
Should have been..

You could try a couple of big stops (and I mean big... 100-0) and see if that clears it up, could just be some crap caked on the disks, had this on the volvo once.

Also check tyre pressure. I get wobbles now and again if the pressure is wrong.

and get the balance re-checked :)

tintin
7th August 2012, 03:50 PM
Just passed its MOT though - should that have been at least an advisory?

I have exactly the same problem with mine - not serious, only happens with firm, steady braking at that speed. It's now had the discs and pads replaced twice in the last few weeks by Kwik Fit, who couldn't find the cause, and it's also been checked by Audi Stockport, who recognised the problem, but couldn't identify the cause. I now only brake either hard or gently, to avoid this :-(

Architex_mA8tey
7th August 2012, 05:56 PM
I suppose it might be a sticky caliper on one side of the disk causing uneven braking at certain speeds :Confused:

Get it checked out to be sure anyway

The_Laird
7th August 2012, 06:13 PM
Now that's interesting, 'cos mine isn't every time either.

I had the pressures checked, but I will have the balance checked at a second garage and try Richard's recommendation to brake hard - but where can I go to get up to 100mph when the legal limit is 70? :)

Are you inciting me the break (right spelling this time) the law Richard? The Renton by-pass should do nicely!

Architex_mA8tey
7th August 2012, 06:53 PM
Now that's interesting, 'cos mine isn't every time either.

I had the pressures checked, but I will have the balance checked at a second garage and try Richard's recommendation to brake hard - but where can I go to get up to 100mph when the legal limit is 70? :)

Are you inciting me the break (right spelling this time) the law Richard? The Renton by-pass should do nicely!

Its not breaking the law if you own it. . . .:rolleyes:

sarg
7th August 2012, 08:19 PM
it's the suspension bushes

tintin
7th August 2012, 08:31 PM
it's the suspension bushes

Not on mine - had them done at about the same time as the discs/pads, made no difference, sadly.

briang9
7th August 2012, 09:12 PM
Jim when I had my wheels refurbed they didnt balance them properly and I got similar, it went away after having them balanced, Dumbarton Service Station did a superb job, one back and one front wheels were out, and they never even charged me, needless to say they have had a fair bit of business from me for other stuff as a result (they were also the ones who gave me free use of their air hose when I did my drains a while back)

Singh
7th August 2012, 09:16 PM
Mine does this at 140-170, I'm also getting a loud clicking noise on full lock now. It is going in this week, I'll keep you posted - please do the same, hope it's not too costly for you, Jim. +++

briang9
7th August 2012, 09:25 PM
Mine does this at 140-170, I'm also getting a loud clicking noise on full lock now. It is going in this week, I'll keep you posted - please do the same, hope it's not too costly for you, Jim. +++

full lock clicking is usually CV joints on front wheel drive cars, not sure if that would also apply to quattro Amar?

Singh
7th August 2012, 09:27 PM
Thanks Brian - it only really does it when stationary though, the clicking.

Goran
9th August 2012, 10:50 AM
Just wanted to add, I have got this slight shaking when braking as well at 70mph. New front (brembo) discs were fine for the first 1000 or so miles and didnt do this, now I suspect they may be a little warped. Oh well, I can live with it.

HPsauce
9th August 2012, 11:10 AM
I get something similar when braking gently/medium at motorway-ish speeds, but not 30/40mph.
I find a double application stabilises it, no idea why. Just lift off very briefly and reapply. :Confused:
(standard PF discs, front pads virtually new and genuine Audi)

Dezzy
12th August 2012, 10:40 AM
Ah the joys of an auto box, front brakes take a hammering coming in to roundabouts / junctions and then get held on the brakes until it's clear to go. This localises the heat from braking in the areas that the pads are in contact causing discs to warp.

Not saying this is the case for all of you as it obviously itn't. But if you have access to or have a lathe put the disc's on and check them for ture.

TOP TIP, USE TIP.

PsYcHe
12th August 2012, 10:55 AM
or stop a little earlier and let the car creep forward for a bit, lets that extreme heat out the brakes.

The_Laird
25th August 2012, 05:11 PM
Right, car back from a big service and a look at the shakin' brakin'.

Bad news on the service is that there's a spark plug stuck! :( Going back whilst I'm away in Spain for a week for a soak in WD40 and another try to shift it.

And the brakes - hmmm. It had new front discs and pads just before I bought it. It now has another set of new front discs and pads! Not fitted properly, apparently, something to do with shims not being removed and cleaned out when the pads were fitted. Result is a much lighter wallet, :-( but beautifully smooth braking :).

And after the service, the car feels brilliant! Quieter, more responsive and generally good all round. :love: Thanks A4 Audi.

47p2
25th August 2012, 06:55 PM
Well the mattress will have a little more give now with that large wad of cash removed :ROFL:

The_Laird
26th August 2012, 08:59 AM
Yes, the gardener says it's much more comfortable now. :)

Architex_mA8tey
26th August 2012, 09:22 AM
Yes, the gardener says it's much more comfortable now. :)

do you mean the mattress or just that hes more comfortable now he's got a large wad of your cash? :p