PDA

View Full Version : Clutch questions

Mutley
18th August 2012, 02:34 PM
Not really the most technical questions but . . . . .

I have a 2003 4.2, i've never had an automatic before so i dont know the answer but can you tell if the clutch is going like you can on a manual ?

Does the clutch even work the same way ?, is it ok to sit in traffic with stick in "D" foot on the brake ? Or should you move to "P" everytime ?

Architex_mA8tey
18th August 2012, 02:43 PM
I think it depends on how long you're likely to be waiting for. If its a large junction where the wait is longer then I just knock mine into neutral and put the handbrake on, if you put it into park then it alarms the car behind when your reversing lights flash on as you go through reverse to get there!
If it's just a short while then I keep my foot on the brake for a few secs and then pull off as normal +++

If the clutches are going in the auto box then it will slip in a gear (or more) and the gearbox will go into limp mode and all the gear indicator lights on the dash binnacle will turn red.

Mutley
18th August 2012, 02:55 PM
If the clutches are going in the auto box then it will slip in a gear (or more) and the gearbox will go into limp mode and all the gear indicator lights on the dash binnacle will turn red.

Ah ok, well i've had no dash lights on so thats good but i'm not sure if ive had slipping or not, i've used the kickdown a couple of times and i cant work out if the revs are increasing prior or if its blipping the throttle or if its just the acceleration prior.

I guess i'm still a bit nervy of my new purchase and the speed is so effortless that its hard to keep an eye on both :D

HPsauce
18th August 2012, 03:02 PM
used the kickdown a couple of times
I honestly can't recall the last time I did, other than when deliberately "playing" on an empty road.
Remember it will change down gears anyway with extra power in some situations.
Plus it's an auto box with torque converter and I think only top gear has "lock-up" so revs can vary quite a bit.

Not sure what kickdown you will have, some FL versions have an actual switch under the throttle pedal.

Mutley
18th August 2012, 03:14 PM
Definately dont have a switch under the pedal, but the particular stretch of road forms part of an across the hills typical single lane national limit road, you turn into off a t junction and its progressively up hill for about a mile, nothing major but it only sticks in mind because its does cause the revs to shift and gears to change more than most.

I guess in a manual if it changed that much i'd "know" much clutch is gone which prompted me questions being a newbie to autos

:)

HPsauce
18th August 2012, 03:18 PM
If in doubt try the same road using manual shifts and observe what happens.
Autos can do odd things and, as was pointed out to me here recently, can sometimes be "fooled" into doing very odd things. :ROFL:

Adrian E
18th August 2012, 04:35 PM
I was always told it was best to leave the box in D unless stationary for a while. Theory being the oil in the box is only circulating while drive
is engaged so it keeps the box cooled. Moving between d and r or n on a really frequent basis (eg at every junction) will place more stress on the box than leaving it alone

ainarssems
18th August 2012, 05:09 PM
No need to put in P or N on junctions even if you have to wait for a while. Leaving in D will not damage gearbox, only downside is a bit higher fuel consumption as engine have to use a bit more power to turn it self and gearbox rather then just itself. But switching in neutral will not harm either as oil pump in gearbox is working and circulating oil regardless of which position lever is.

Clutches only wear out if they are slipping because of other faults like low oil pressure which can be caused by leaking seals, low oil level, clogged filter ect.

The slippage you experience is most likely the one in torque converter which is normal but it's hard to say without actually seeing it in person.

Mutley
19th August 2012, 08:43 PM
Ok, slightly embarrassing but I do have a switch for the overdrive, not sure how I missed it but guess I thought it was just a pedal stop

Any downsides to the switch ?

So if it's the torque converter im assuming the effects of the slipping will be less in sports mode, ive done a little testing and from what i can tell it definitely seems to be the case.