PDA

View Full Version : LWB Worth more or less?

Kenta8
22nd September 2012, 09:11 AM
I have a silver 4.2 LWB. I am probably going to sell it soon but I am having trouble finding a comparable car so I am not sure how to price it. Would the fact it is a LWB make it worth more or less. I understand the, age, mileage and condition are the biggest factors in pricing but I just can’t seem to find a similar car to compare it against.

Architex_mA8tey
22nd September 2012, 09:22 AM
I have a silver 4.2 LWB. I am probably going to sell it soon but I am having trouble finding a comparable car so I am not sure how to price it. Would the fact it is a LWB make it worth more or less. I understand the, age, mileage and condition are the biggest factors in pricing but I just can’t seem to find a similar car to compare it against.

I would suggest slightly less as although they are rarer they are going to be less sought after due to the extra length. I've only ever seen one silver one in the flesh and that was one I was looking at to buy when I ended up buying the D2 I have now. The LWB I looked at had nearly 30,000 more miles and a lot were used as chauffeur cars so mainly motorway miles. A lot more depends on condition and mileage but I would count on possibly up to 20% less value than the equivalent swb I'm afraid :(

Kenta8
22nd September 2012, 01:13 PM
As much as that, ouch!!! It has done 127K and as it’s such a pretty car I am not sure it’s worth selling. It’s probably worth more to me than it is to someone else!! It was originally owned by a director of British Aerospace, I have the delivery ticket signed for by his chauffeur but I don’t think 127K is too bad for a 02 car.

Architex_mA8tey
22nd September 2012, 07:39 PM
No that's not over the top for 02 reg, has it had any gearbox work yet or replacement? Would be great to see some pics of it inside and out, they are pretty rarely seen these days. At the end of the day it is worth what someone is prepared to pay for it I guess, but I would estimate 3k ish if it's sorted, maybe 3.5k but you would have to find someone looking for a LWB who is happy with that mileage and as most of them are used as chauffeur cars they prefer to run them from low mileage then get rid and keep getting a new one, usually for tax / accounting purposes and because business get some benefits from leasing etc.

ainarssems
23rd September 2012, 12:13 AM
Most of the people want SWB but most of the cars out there are SWB's as well so if you get a buyer who specifically wants LWB then you might get more money for it then for the same SWB. On the other hand If you want to pursue SWB shopper to buy LWB price would need to be considerably lower then comparable SWB. As Neil say it's worth what somebody is willing to pay. Prices vary greatly depending on age, condition, milegae, history and can be from £800 for alet down older car to 10k for late car in top condition. Well 2002 will not be £800 but I have seen 2001-2002 S8' selling as low as £2000. Since your's is A8 I would say that it's worth somewhere from £1.5k if it's not the best condition or if you want to shift it quickly up to 4.5k if it's top condition with recent cambelt/gearbox servicing.

IT
23rd September 2012, 08:00 AM
The problem with the LWB is it basically designed for - and best - as limo work.

But nobody really wants to be seen using last years model as a limo.

Thus, the LWB becomes the tool of the regular Joe who wants extra rear leg room, but is happy to lose out on the sports spec, and doesnt mind a little less poke, lower MPG and finding slightly bigger spaces.

If its a LWB dripping with toys, it stands a much better chance.

If its a regular LWB competing in a SWB market, then a 20% mark down seems wholly plausible to me - But by all means start high and see what happens - There might just be the guy out there that loves D2's but has, er, 6 foot tall kids.... ;)

Kenta8
23rd September 2012, 01:58 PM
Well I think you have confirmed it. I would rather have the car than the couple of grand I may or may not get for it. I enjoy doing road trips in it and with four larger chaps plus luggage/ski gear I can’t think of a car I would rather be in. The car has a couple of scrapes I need to get to get sorted, one on the bumper and one on the door. Both done by an idiot in a car park, the idiot being me!! Other than that it is in lovely condition. I did not think there was a noticeable difference in the performance or MPG between the SWB and LWB. The average on mine reads 23.4MPG. It has the original gearbox and as far as I can tell the two previous owners were not the types to spank it. I am hardly a boy racer however I do enjoy the sensation of being in a car of its size that performs as well as the A8 does. As the gearbox has never been touched and there do not seem to be any issues or noises I see very little point in disturbing it at this stage. The cambelt was done by Audi at 68k so I guess I should look into getting that done. The car is as it was when new, I have not retro fitted anything so there are probably not enough toys to attract a purchaser. With the above in mind I will probably just get the odd niggle sorted and continue enjoying this lovely car.

Dezzy
24th September 2012, 07:09 AM
I think keeping it is your best option, unless you want to near give it away.

When i ws looking for mine 4 years ago i looked at a 2.8 that the guy had obviously pay a few quid for when he bought it and he just wasn't prepaired to sell for what the insurance would pay out for it in the event of total loss, it had no toys in it. I found the 8 i have now ok a few years older and a little rougher around the body but i paid lss than half what the other one was.

I dno't know what these things are booking in Glasses or the black cap book now but will be worth more in bits.

sloss
24th September 2012, 08:03 AM
I had a D2 SWB 4.2 V8 fpr a few years and loved it so I chopped it in for a D3 LWB 3.oTDi and it's so much better!

The room in the rear is immense aand I don't think it looks Limo like from outside, still seems in proportion to me.

Did 600 miles this weekend in comfort and silence 'cept for the missus and the CD and it got 38mpg on mostly Scottish country roads from Aberbeen to Skye and back.

Brilliant car in all aspects and I've had loads of cars but not many come close, my old Merc 300 was good and Range Rovers give such a good view they are difficult to beat but then they cost to keep them going but I may try the diesel V8 next for a while :)