PDA

View Full Version : Rear screen trim removal

green A8
12th January 2013, 08:23 PM
Would it be correct to assume that removal of the main rear screen trim is the same straightforward job as removing the front windscreen trim?

The reason I'm asking is that I removed the front trim this morning from my project A8 and was shocked at the sheer quantity of very damp muck that lurked hidden from veiw. I wonder if this same trapped wet dirt could cause problems when it becomes frozen?

The A8 poject car, it used to look like this:

http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc359/zourka/018.jpg

Second photo stolen from my pals 'phone I wasn't aware that he'd taken this snap

http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc359/zourka/016-1.jpg

And how it looks today, after a couple of very gentle washes. Photo shows rear screen trim I'm asking about.

http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc359/zourka/DSCF0640_zps48f70937.jpg

awolfinsheepsclothes
13th January 2013, 08:42 PM
Wow what a difference looks fantastic now
Dave

green A8
14th January 2013, 07:11 AM
Thanks for your kind comment Dave,

FinishKare #1016Wash & Wax concentrate was the shampoo used to get some shine back to the car, blooming great stuff! it also detached the Quattro badge from the bootlid. Don't be fooled however, the paintwork is a very long way from perfect, there's an awful lot of faults present including etching from bird bombs and all kind of marring, random scratches the dreaded swirls and tree sap damage. It'll have to be clay barred and wet sanded, then introduced to some Scholl Concepts products on the polisher to bring it back to anywhere near where it should be. I estimate the paintwork will take 70 to 100 hours to perfect, and that's providing my OCD keeps away, if not, double that estimate and buy some more clearcoat at least. :rolleyes:

I see that you have a stunning S8 Dave, that you think is finished in Racing Green. The very same paintwork as my humble A8. Check your boot sticker or inide the cover of your service schedule to confirm the colour. Racing Green is LZ6H I'm certain that all the other colour codes are listed on this forum.

Hope this helps.

Paul

awolfinsheepsclothes
18th January 2013, 10:51 PM
Hi paul yes it's the same colour I'm very pleased with it and it suits the 8s
I wish I'd seen amar's green one in the flesh it looks stunning in the pictures.
Don't make it look to good or I'll have to start buffing and polishing as well!
Dave

notorious
19th January 2013, 07:17 AM
I believe rear trim can be removed just like front trim although I didn't do it myself. If you're changing the trim i'd suggest to buy the new trim first and look at it.

green A8
21st January 2013, 06:09 PM
Hi paul yes it's the same colour I'm very pleased with it and it suits the 8s
I wish I'd seen amar's green one in the flesh it looks stunning in the pictures.
Don't make it look to good or I'll have to start buffing and polishing as well!
Dave

I'm afraid that once you start you'll never stop Dave. This OCD lark is a very slippery slope. I think I may have seen some pics of Amar's green 8 whilst looking at some older threads. Don't tell me this was the beauty that was stolen by the low lifes. They should have their hands chopped off, when caught:angry2:

green A8
21st January 2013, 06:14 PM
I believe rear trim can be removed just like front trim although I didn't do it myself. If you're changing the trim i'd suggest to buy the new trim first and look at it.

Thanks for that suggestion, I'll look into ordering up a spare trim 'just in case' when I can get out and about again (damn snowand ice and abandoned cars usually Range Rovers and other assorted so-called 4x4's!) I'll also have a go at removing the existing rear screen trim, when I can get back into the garage (damn snow and ice again!!):ROFL:

The_Laird
25th January 2013, 08:50 AM
FinishKare #1016Wash & Wax concentrate was the shampoo used to get some shine back to the car, blooming great stuff!

Just bought some of this - will try it out at the weekend (after Brian, Connor and I have seen off the Monte Carlo Rally form Glasgow) :)

green A8
25th January 2013, 06:59 PM
I think you'll be impressed with the FK shampoo your Lairdship. Please let us know how you get on with it. The only thing that I find wrong with it is that as far as I'm aware, you can't buy the larger sizes in the UK. I wish I'd bought a couple of five Gallon cans of the stuff when I was over in the States.

Paul.