PDA

View Full Version : Boot cill anodised trim replacement

David's8
28th February 2013, 03:14 PM
In trying to find out why the anodised trim below the boot cill was rubbing against the boot lid and wearing it down to bare metal I took the whole trim off and now it will not clip back on. All bar one of the clips are good but when I get one end on the other springs off. Apart from not starting the job in the first place any tips? :Confused:

David's8
28th February 2013, 04:21 PM
Thinks I have answered my own question - it needs a huge amount of pressure to engage the retaining clips. Job now done and it has cured the original problem of rubbing on the boot lit edge.
+++

briang9
28th February 2013, 06:52 PM
:ROFL:

answering your own posts now, bad sign:D

David's8
4th March 2013, 07:47 AM
Problem has re-occurred. When I went out to check on my work, the strip(probably due to warmth from the sun) had popped off again and now will NOT re-seat on the clips at all. The only cure i think is to drill the trim at both ends and put two stainless, self tapping screws into the bumper. It will of course be visible. :( Has anyone any suggestions befoe I go down this route?

The_Laird
4th March 2013, 08:10 AM
The only cure i think is to drill the trim at both ends and put two stainless, self tapping screws into the bumper. It will of course be visible. :( Has anyone any suggestions befoe I go down this route?

:tuttut: New clips from Audi and pop the bumper off perhaps? If you order them, I can pick them up on the way home. I'll give you a hand at the weekend if you like

David's8
4th March 2013, 08:41 AM
thanks for the offer Jim. Will pm you.

David's8
12th March 2013, 08:28 AM
I have now got new clips which do seem (being new) more resilient and "springy" than the old ones. So I am now waiting for aday when its warmer and not snowing to try and fit the clips and trim. In the meantime i stripped and polished the trim piece to try and remove the marks, pitting, scrapes and deterioration of the finish on the basis that I couldnt make it look worse. Started with wet&dry 800 and finished with 3000. Applied 2 coats of clear laquer. It certainly looks a lot better though I couldnt remove all the pitting. I dont know how long it will last with that protection. Anyone any experience?