PDA

View Full Version : Teetering on giving up on the search for the ideal D3 S8

Greg66
12th August 2013, 12:27 AM
I've been watching the D3 S8 market for over two years now, I reckon. In that time, only two cars have come close to ticking the boxes of my ideal spec. And annoyingly, one is owned by a guy who likes to dip his toe in the water every so often, but doesn't really want to sell unless he gets a price which is (IMO) completely unrealistic. The other is the one currently at Guildford Audi, and I'm not keen on the wood trim, and more importantly the rest of the family has vetoed the "baby poo" leather interior. Even Guildford Audi seem to have decided it is better not to photograph it.

I'm seriously despairing nowadays at the volume of poor S8s hitting the used market, and the generally looney prices that are being set. Stock just seems to sit around for ages and dealers don't appear to care. A couple of years ago Oscar Goldman seemed to be able to shift well spec'd cars very quickly, but nowadays even his high spec stuff is sitting around, suggesting (to me) it is overpriced.

I've been offered a v good deal on a low mileage 2006 RR SC (full fat, not Sport). I'm seriously considering grabbing that, and hanging onto our D2 4.2 QS out of sentimentality.

That would give us a three car fleet of 12 litres, 22 cylinders, and 1150hp. Between two drivers, that seems a little excessive.

Thoughts?

eng33
12th August 2013, 07:55 AM
Completely feel your pain, I've also been tyre kicking for around the same time period. Think Roberto on here has too. I thought I'd cured my disease, when I bought my lovely D2 S8 at Christmas, couldn't be happier with it, but still can't help looking at cars with two extra cylinders.... :rolleyes:

IT
12th August 2013, 03:30 PM
I've been mulling a D3 S8 for some time.

The problem is that my 4.2 Tdi is so good that finding an S8 that actually feels like an upgrade is going to be tough.

And as already has been pointed out, there are a number of forum members already swimming around looking for the perfect catch so when a good one pops up at a sensible price I expect quite a fight for it +++

Rest assured, unless it has a sunroof, adaptive cruise, B&O, a fridge and preferably poo coloured interior then it wont be a patch on my soot chooker so I wont be fighting you for it :D

PsYcHe
12th August 2013, 03:43 PM
I've fancied an S8 a few times, but the performance delta just isn't huge enough to offset the increased fuel costs, and that the spec I want in my budget would be ceramic brakes, and they'd be approaching a change by the time I could afford the car.

Test drive a 4.2TDi.. then imagine it with 50 more horses and a pile more torque with a remap and it's not so much slower that you'd notice most of the time. Given the equipment options, you'd be surprised how much diesel your money would buy over the S8.

Not that I'm biased ;)

IT
12th August 2013, 04:10 PM
I've fancied an S8 a few times, but the performance delta just isn't huge enough to offset the increased fuel costs, and that the spec I want in my budget would be ceramic brakes, and they'd be approaching a change by the time I could afford the car.

Test drive a 4.2TDi.. then imagine it with 50 more horses and a pile more torque with a remap and it's not so much slower that you'd notice most of the time. Given the equipment options, you'd be surprised how much diesel your money would buy over the S8.

Not that I'm biased ;)

Couldnt agree more...... Theres the staus of having the 'S8', and the Lamborghini connection, and the noise I'm sure, but the problem is that unless you genuinely have pound notes to burn, or do next to no miles whatsoever then the 4.2 Tdi makes more sense every which way.

And then theres range..... I get no less than 600 miles to a tank, and usually more, and that makes a real difference when you're always in a rush everywhere :rolleyes:

The Q7 is having its DPF removed and a remap this week, so we'll see how that 4.2 Tdi behaves after a tweak and if its worthwhile I might just have to see about treating the A8 to one too... ;)

Adrian E
12th August 2013, 06:09 PM
The Q7 is having its DPF removed and a remap this week, so we'll see how that 4.2 Tdi behaves after a tweak and if its worthwhile I might just have to see about treating the A8 to one too... ;)

OMG! Words I never thought I'd see typed by IT in my lifetime :ROFL:

Who are you having do the map?

IT
12th August 2013, 07:48 PM
OMG! Words I never thought I'd see typed by IT in my lifetime :ROFL:

Who are you having do the map?

The problem is the Q7 does very little mileage, 5 miles at a time. The DPF pressure sensor is clogged, and fixing it will cost as much as ripping it out, and then it will just clog up again....

I have to then get the ECU coded so remove the DPF stuff, and while they're in there a remap is unmissably cost effective....

Unusually for me I dont actually know whos doing it - David @ a8parts is sorting it all with a supplier he's used before, so Im confident its in safe hands....

Adrian E
12th August 2013, 07:59 PM
Good stuff - will be interesting to see how much of a different drive it is after :)

tonupkid
12th August 2013, 08:57 PM
Just buy one, the perfect car doesn't exist. Mine missed a few ticks but what the hell, I've been enjoying it for three years now.

Greg66
13th August 2013, 07:43 AM
Don't fancy a diesel and don't do the miles to justify one, but more to the point, one of my picky wish list items is <40k miles. That seems to rule out any diesel. Another is B&O, and I've yet to see a 4.2 diesel with that.

HPsauce
13th August 2013, 07:50 AM
I'm sure the 4.2TDi LWB D3 at AITP had B&O. :cool:

Architex_mA8tey
13th August 2013, 08:28 AM
I'm sure the 4.2TDi LWB D3 at AITP had B&O. :cool:

It sure did, had adaptive cruise, ventilated heated seats and B&O in addition to the black chrome!

PsYcHe
13th August 2013, 09:58 AM
Ian's has B&O too..

HPsauce
13th August 2013, 10:01 AM
Ian's has B&O too..
So there's one that will be up for sale before long, when he sees something else he fancies. :rolleyes:

Greg66
13th August 2013, 04:47 PM
Further picky wish list items: SWB, no ceramics, no two tone leather interior.

Must haves: <40k miles, Daytona Grey, FL, heated rear seats, electric rear blinds, B&O, TV, AMI, BT, Advanced parking, carbon inlays (Guildford Audi car, I'm looking at you!), oil goes only in the engine, and not in the fuel tank.

Not fussed either way: ACC, HDD sat nav, vented seat, rear seat entertainment.

roberto
21st August 2013, 02:53 PM
just offer them £24,000
over and over again ..