PDA

View Full Version : A8 D2 Undertray

Sir WIll
29th September 2013, 10:09 AM
Noticed yesterday that my undertray was hanging down at the back and scraping on speed humps etc.

Went out today to put a zip tie or two on it to put it back into place and noticed its not there anymore!

:-(

notorious
1st October 2013, 06:51 PM
They are not difficult to get and cost about £50 used.

Sir WIll
1st October 2013, 06:55 PM
I was thinking about that, not sure how much I really miss it though.

I suppose I helps keep the engine clean in winter mind you!

notorious
1st October 2013, 07:08 PM
Yes, definitely. Compare condition of your gearbox sump (not covered by undertray) with engine sump.

This is why I retrofitted gearbox undertray too :)

Bandycoot
2nd October 2013, 06:36 AM
Not only that but the undertray improves the flow of air under the car helping fuel consumption.

Goran
2nd October 2013, 10:34 AM
Also it protects various parts form corrosion. I'm sure I read somewhere, maybe quattroworld, that the junction box & alternator can have a hard time from all the water spray without an undertray.
Sergey, I did not know there was a separate transmission under tray, I may have to get one of those +++

notorious
2nd October 2013, 04:22 PM
Here's writeup

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6546

The_Laird
2nd October 2013, 06:54 PM
Sergey

Did you buy the parts for this new? If so, at what cost?

notorious
2nd October 2013, 07:04 PM
At whatever costs audi sells them.

The_Laird
3rd October 2013, 10:11 AM
Sergey

Can you remember what you paid and do you have part numbers? I'm going to have a look on ebay.de, so if you have a translation for 'diesel undertray' that would be good too! :)

Thanks - Jim

notorious
3rd October 2013, 11:45 AM
I made purchases to years ado and I need to dig into paperwork.
Part numbers I don't remember either, but they are all in ETKA.

Gearbox under tray with sound deadening should be around £160-£190 and engine undertray with sound deadening should be £260-290. Plus side parts plus suspension systems for gearbox under tray.

I will try to find some paperwork.

David's8
3rd October 2013, 11:46 AM
Sergey

... translation for 'diesel undertray' that would be good too! :)

Thanks - Jim

Der Satanischefuelen Unter Fach.. +++

David's8
3rd October 2013, 11:59 AM
Well, the last bit is true, Unsurprisingly, as Herr Rudulph Diesel was a German, diesel is diesel in German :p

The_Laird
3rd October 2013, 12:25 PM
I made purchases to years ado and I need to dig into paperwork.
Part numbers I don't remember either, but they are all in ETKA.

Gearbox under tray with sound deadening should be around £160-£190 and engine undertray with sound deadening should be £260-290. Plus side parts plus suspension systems for gearbox under tray.

I will try to find some paperwork.

Thanks Sergey, but don't worry, I won't be spending £500 plus on this mod!

HPsauce
3rd October 2013, 12:35 PM
One thing I wondered about with this is engine cooling.
Diesels are more efficient and run cooler, so extra insulation etc. is unlikely to be a major problem.

An S8 runs hot at the best of times.

Architex_mA8tey
3rd October 2013, 01:32 PM
One thing I wondered about with this is engine cooling.
Diesels are more efficient and run cooler, so extra insulation etc. is unlikely to be a major problem.

An S8 runs hot at the best of times.

its an interesting point as the undertray on the D3 W12 is a different design to the standard undertray, with more vents cut into it in 2 places near the front, perhaps for the same reason. . .

notorious
3rd October 2013, 02:01 PM
Thanks Sergey, but don't worry, I won't be spending £500 plus on this mod!

Well, learn German then: Untertray = Unterfahrschutz

Architex_mA8tey
3rd October 2013, 02:02 PM
Unterfahrschutz

Bless you! :p

Dezzy
3rd October 2013, 02:16 PM
Well, learn German then: Untertray = Unterfahrschutz

Oooow someone's tired :D

Goran
3rd October 2013, 07:43 PM
How did I miss this thread? Its a great upgrade. I'm usually known for taking stuff off, but this is one thing I'll be putting on.

Thanks Sergey +++

notorious
3rd October 2013, 08:20 PM
You're serious man Goran :)

I'll find part numbers if you need although ETKA is self explanatory. I have purchased them in batches, so it'll be a bit difficult.

The only two seriously expensive parts are undertrays themselves, but they can be sourced from zee German eBay if you don't mind used stuff. Key words are Motorschutz or Unterfahrschutz.

The whole kit can be ordered all together from one salvaged car.

Goran
4th October 2013, 08:31 AM
I will have a go on VagCat, shouldn't be a problem.
I dont mind used parts at all, no one is going to see it under there anyway. Thanks for those key German words!
I'm hoping I can get away with just the gearbox tray and mounting brackets, I am happy to keep my main under tray as it is.

Thanks!

notorious
4th October 2013, 11:09 AM
That's a good plan Goran. You can leave existing engine undertray. You will have to change the rear cross bar of engine undertray because it now holds both rear of engine undertray and front of gearbox undertray.

When talking to zee Germans just ask for gearbox undertray, front crossbar for gearbox under tray and middle crossbar for gearbox undertray with all the bolts.