PDA

View Full Version : 3.7 D3 exhaust flexi joint

mannyo
23rd December 2013, 06:23 AM
I bought my D3 knowing that the exhaust had a slight leak.

On Saturday, I paid a visit to the local workshop I have been using for years. They put the car up on ramps, and I was finally able to get underneath the newly purchased D3.

The part with the hole in it, is the nearside flexi joint. The outer mesh is undamaged, so the hole is internal, and from what I could see the flexi is post cat and lambda probes.

Now all I need to do is source a replacement flexi repair part, have the old factory one cut out and new inserted. I'll proberbly end up with a clamped in solution, rather than welded as that will save a lot on labour as it can be done in situ.

Oli18
23rd December 2013, 06:38 AM
Hi Manny - great you're getting the new 8 in tip top shape+++

How are you finding it a few weeks in vs the D2?

Oli

mannyo
23rd December 2013, 07:36 AM
Oli,

its very different to the D2, the whole car feels more refined. Done 700 miles in it already, apart from the small niggles its a great car. I paid below what you would expect for a car with the level of extras it has, partly because the dealer did not know what they had and also negotiating the price down because of the niggles.

Although the car makes a lovely sound because of the exhaust hole, I can't wait to get it fixed and waft along quietly like the D2.

I really need to get the tyres replaced, but they will have to wait until the cambelt has been done with the tensioners etc. My local indy is changing the belt / tensioners / thermostat and aux belt for less than £800 using genuine Audi parts, whereas Poole Audi wanted £1399 for the same.

The car will be going to Poole Audi in the new year, since it missed a service bulletin for coilpack replacement.

steamship
23rd December 2013, 08:43 AM
The car will be going to Poole Audi in the new year, since it missed a service bulletin for coilpack replacement.

Manny, sorry to hijack your thread, but how did you know about the coilpack replacement? Reason for asking is that I have an '01 3.7 QS and got a gas conversion done at the start of November. About a fortnight ago it stopped running on gas. When I got it checked out, they found a fault with one of the coil packs, and the gas automatically cuts out. Got it sorted, but just wondering if mine would be eligible.

PsYcHe
23rd December 2013, 10:16 AM
Phone Audi customer services with the VIN number, but there were an awful lot of different models affected.

mannyo
23rd December 2013, 11:01 AM
Phone Audi customer services with the VIN number, but there were an awful lot of different models affected.

Yep, I contacted Poole Audi and asked them if it had missed any recalls or service bulletins. They got back to me the next day, and advised I book it in. If the current coilpacks are the older type they will be replaced free of charge.

mannyo
21st January 2014, 01:05 PM
Coming back to the flexi joint, mechanic has been looking at this today for me. He got a quote from TPS to replace, but they will only supply the whole section (downpipe, cat and flexi) which is coming in at more than £700 each. Found out today that both are leaking, although the OS one is not bad.

He measured the exhaust and tried a few local motor factors but none to hand in stock. So as for the suspension compressor, I'll source the replacement joints and they will have them welded into the exhaust.

mannyo
26th January 2014, 08:45 AM
Quick question, I know the exhaust diameter is 60mm in the area of the flexi joints. However I don't know how long to get them as they are available in various lengths. From what I recall standing under my car, they are not that long. Anybody in a position to measure theirs or have measured in the past?

Also Welded or clamped?, both joints are needing replacement.

M-A8
26th January 2014, 07:08 PM
Hello

Do you still need these flexi joints????

I've had my done recently, 2x £150 + £100 fitting by AMD, custom made to measure much stronger performance quality.

Let me know

mannyo
27th January 2014, 06:27 AM
Joints are indeed still needed,

I assume that is AMD in essex?

£450 fitted seems like a good deal for both sides.

I was in Hertfordshire at the weekend, so familiar with the area around Thurrock, Aveley etc.

ainarssems
27th January 2014, 11:40 AM
£100 for the labour seems like a good price but £150 for flex joints each is a bit steep but then again if they are custom made maybe it's not too bad. I would expect off the shelf units to be £20-40 range depending on material and quality.

Delboy
29th January 2014, 12:42 PM
http://www.pjengineering.co.uk/products.php?cat=20

M-A8
29th January 2014, 02:50 PM
Joints are indeed still needed,

I assume that is AMD in essex?

£450 fitted seems like a good deal for both sides.

I was in Hertfordshire at the weekend, so familiar with the area around Thurrock, Aveley etc.

No, they made them, but fitted but probably one of the best independent Audi garages in Harrow, NW london, not that far off M25
£250 +VAT All in, supply and fit.

I'll be online most of the time from today so message any time.

Also you can get one your self if you want to save another 40quid, but still have them both fitted by one garage

M-A8
29th January 2014, 02:52 PM
http://www.pjengineering.co.uk/products.php?cat=20

Good link mate ;)

Look at my exhaust thread and look at the flexis on my car, they supposed to be performance copy version of original flexes, thicker and tougher but not bigger in overall size.

I am very pleased with them +++

mannyo
31st January 2014, 03:55 PM
Thanks to M-A8,

Flexi joints now on order, once they are in I'll take the car up to Harrow for fitting.

M-A8
31st January 2014, 06:02 PM
Thanks to M-A8,

Flexi joints now on order, once they are in I'll take the car up to Harrow for fitting.

+++

mannyo
26th February 2014, 07:30 PM
Being fitted Monday first thing, not looking forward to driving to Harrow from Hertfordshire in the Monday morning traffic. They want me there for 8AM to get the car in first, then I can head back to Dorset at a reasonable time.

Now I live in Dorset, its been a long time since I battled with the M25 and M1 in the Monday morning rush.

Architex_mA8tey
26th February 2014, 09:19 PM
Being fitted Monday first thing, not looking forward to driving to Harrow from Hertfordshire in the Monday morning traffic. They want me there for 8AM to get the car in first, then I can head back to Dorset at a reasonable time.

Now I live in Dorset, its been a long time since I battled with the M25 and M1 in the Monday morning rush.

What I would do Manny is get up early, beat the traffic get into the area and then go get a relaxing breakfast and read the paper prior to handing your car over in a relaxed state. You will get to London much quicker if you set off earlier or for every 10 minutes later you leave it, you will find you are 20 minutes later arriving so a no brainer to get there earlier! +++

M-A8
26th February 2014, 10:11 PM
What I would do Manny is get up early, beat the traffic get into the area and then go get a relaxing breakfast and read the paper prior to handing your car over in a relaxed state. You will get to London much quicker if you set off earlier or for every 10 minutes later you leave it, you will find you are 20 minutes later arriving so a no brainer to get there earlier! +++

Absolutely, just before you take turn to Elmgrove Road, there is Tesco with a restaurant I think , if closed you can still get some croissants for breakfast or whatever. Got some coffee shops on the main road as well.

mannyo
3rd March 2014, 08:05 AM
Sitting here now, car is up on ramps. Work is progressing nicely.

mannyo
3rd March 2014, 10:39 AM
And it's all done, car is much quieter now. Just wafted down from London to Blandford, I can't believe how much difference its made as you can barely hear the engine running now. Coupled with the fixed air compressor pipe the car is really quiet.

M-A8
3rd March 2014, 11:52 PM
Great stuff mate +++
It's all coming together isn't it ;)

When they done both mine, I managed to scrape one of them following week, I was :angry3: