PDA

View Full Version : Mirror Issues

Condor
15th January 2014, 08:32 PM
Have had the old 8 for 10 years now, so I guess a few niggles here and there are going to appear sometime.......today my partner used the 8 for a long trip and the wing / door mirrors started misbehaving horribly while she was driving, constantly folding in and out, settling down for a while, then restarting the whole in out thing. It was quite disconcerting to have to drive on the motorway like this - I had it happen with my BMW X5 a few years back but that was a warranty issue so no problem.

Have searched the various mirror threads but not sure what the best course of action would be to troubleshoot this. Hoping one of the forum members can help.....and that its an easy /cheap fix! +++

Adrian E
15th January 2014, 09:06 PM
could just be a dodgy switch - maybe try running it in a different position to where it was. Other possibility is a fault control module, but I'd reckon on the switch being more likely at this stage

Condor
16th January 2014, 05:33 AM
Thanks, will start with replacing the switch which thankfully looks quite easy!!

HPsauce
16th January 2014, 07:37 AM
Extremely I'd say. IIRC you have to prise (carefully) the lower handle shell off first to then release the trim panel with the switch in.

I'd test as advised earlier first though. Try driving around with the switch in different "non-park" positions. Then try with the switch wiring disconnected as that would narrow it down further.

Adrian E
16th January 2014, 08:06 AM
Getting the drivers one out can be harder than the others as there's less room to wiggle it out with all the switches. Worse still with extended leather. Prob ok without. Mine was a pig to get started but once the leather was overcome it was ok

I have a spare mirror control switch if you need one - came in a replacement trim panel from a8 parts

HPsauce
16th January 2014, 08:23 AM
So do I. :cool:
Don't recall any major wiggling problems though, you do have to lift the outside (door skin) edge first which is easiest pushing from below once the lower shell is removed.
There are compressible metal spring clips on the outer edge but huge great solid plastic lugs on the inside that you won't release

Condor
16th January 2014, 02:07 PM
Thanks for the offer AdrianE, I will let you know if I wreck the replacement one that is on its way :)

Sounds like a nightmare to change the switch HP, I hope it isn't! Are there pics somewhere? Ian must surely have taken all the electrics to bits already and in photos somewhere! :D

HPsauce
16th January 2014, 02:24 PM
Not at all, probably 5 minutes if you know what you're doing.

Lever out (carefully) the lower shell of the door pull with a trim tool. It will release easier at either the front or back edge first (not sure which, so try both).
Then push up the switch panel from below so that the outer edge lifts up first and swivels towards you (in the drivers seat) to unhook the lugs.

Disconnect all the plugs and take indoors to work on. You'll then see that the mirror switch is just held by two retractable toggles and a lug opposite them and can then be pushed out.

Obviously you can test it by just connecting the new unit directly to the wiring plug in the door without replacing the panel.

Condor
16th January 2014, 07:06 PM
Thanks HP, I have a generic set of trim tools so hopefully these will work, will have a go at loosening it all over the weekend.

Adrian E
16th January 2014, 10:23 PM
For the front trims, lever from the narrow rear edge - when you get it out you'll see the front edge is much larger so needs locating first when you refit

2 bolts to release the switch surround, then pry up as her HPs post

Releasing the switch itself is easy enough although 3 hands are useful! Flick the 2 plastic sprung clips and push out all at the same time

HPsauce
16th January 2014, 10:53 PM
2 bolts to release the switch surroundI knew I forgot something, they're pretty self-evident. :o

Adrian E
17th January 2014, 08:20 AM
I know - main reason for reposting the info is I checked Elsawin to confirm which end you pry from as I know the fronts are one way and the rears are the other. Fortunately it gives you a diagram as there's potential to do damage working from the wrong side :)

Condor
17th January 2014, 06:08 PM
Thanks again, will see if I get an opportunity this weekend.