PDA

View Full Version : Diagnosing RPM related high pitch whine/noise

notorious
16th January 2014, 11:12 AM
Hello all,

My D2 FL suddenly developed a high pitch whine, which can be clearly heard when I sit in the car while the car is parked.

Noise is clearly RPM related, but it is difficult to say where the noise comes from. Not even sure at this stage if it is from the front or from rear of the car. I appreciate there is nothing from rear that can generate RPM related noise, but simply judging by ears it is impossible to say where it comes from...

It is high pitch whine that kind of disappears with higher RPM perhaps because frequency goes so high that it becomes undetectable by human ear. Engine is revving a bit after 2000-3000 rpm, so it hides the noise too.

I tried to switch aircon on and off and play with steering wheel. Noise pattern does't change when I do that. It seem to be RPM related only.

* Is this bearing noise? No bearings in my car were changed yet.
* Can the RPM-related noise/whine be generated by smth other than bearing?
* In your experience which bearings fail first on D2? Any usual suspects?
* What are the best methods to isolate and diagnose problem?
* Any great tools I can buy that will help me to listen and isolate sources of noises/whines?

Any advice will be appreciated.

The_Laird
16th January 2014, 02:56 PM
* Any great tools I can buy that will help me to listen and isolate sources of noises/whines?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Try this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MECHANICS-NOISE-LOCATING-STETHOSCOPE-CAR-REPAIR-ETC-stethescope-/111256397412?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item19e765e664

notorious
16th January 2014, 03:29 PM
Thanks Jim.

Purchased the Stethescope: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321265618327

Delboy
16th January 2014, 11:00 PM
High pitched whines i my experiences have turned out to be bearings on things like fan belt jockey wheel /Idler Pulleys.

Once you your ear thing comes it will be easy to pinpoint it if it is a bearing race complaining.

You could try the old screwdriver handle held to your ear with the tip resting against the area you want to listen too.

notorious
16th January 2014, 11:15 PM
Thanks Delboy +++

Goran
17th January 2014, 07:17 AM
Sergey, you could also try just removing auxiliary belt from the crank pulley, run engine for a few minutes on battery only, if no noise it was something on the auxiliary belt.
I did this method on my previous S8. I had 2 noises, one was a timing belt roller, the more fain noise was the water pump.

notorious
17th January 2014, 08:14 AM
Thanks Goran. Excellent idea.

Is it easy to remove aux/serpentine belt on our engines?

Goran
17th January 2014, 03:31 PM
It was very easy, if I remember correctly I reduced the tension on the tensioner and only removed the belt from around the crank pulley, making sure it wouldnt get caught in it with engine running. I left it on all the other auxiliaries, too lazy to take it off completely.

notorious
17th January 2014, 06:36 PM
And when I put the belt back how do I make sure it is correctly tensioned?

Is the tensioner automatic with a spring or should I just pre-tension it by hand and then tighten a bolt?

Goran
17th January 2014, 08:10 PM
Very good point. Here is the Elsa Win guide for a 2001 3.7 A8.
I need to copy all of these instructions to PDF / Word at some point.
Have a careful read through, to me it seems the belt is simply tensioned by releasing the tensioner locking tool (or a drill bit, etc).

"fit onto tensioning roller last"

notorious
17th January 2014, 08:33 PM
Thanks Goran

notorious
18th January 2014, 05:36 PM
Breaking news: The whine appears to be coming from under the dash.

I just discovered if I hit the dash my left hand the whine will stop. Hit the dash again it starts again!

I'm completely puzzled...
What under the dash can produce strong RPM related high pitch whine?

Architex_mA8tey
18th January 2014, 06:35 PM
Are you sure it's not related to the Audio system? Turn off the RNS-e and see if it's there then?

notorious
18th January 2014, 07:41 PM
No, not related to sound system.

PsYcHe
18th January 2014, 09:20 PM
Mouse? Squirrel? Small child?

Is it in the middle of the dash? Could be the climate unit, or maybe the drive in the RNS.

notorious
18th January 2014, 10:06 PM
It is unclear where exactly it comes from.
Whine frequency is directly proportional to engine rpm...