PDA

View Full Version : whos had a new windscreen?

A8 Owner
8th May 2009, 11:19 AM
Hi Mrs A8 Owner here, Ive had 4 screens in as many months due to
1 chipped sreen
2 noise from around screen after fiting new screen
3 as above
4 2day as above but worse

There trying alosorts to fix it but to no joy.
First they thought it was the vin number touching screen, then the glass was touching B Piller, then the pad that holds the phone arial at top of screen.
Today they took it out again (4th new screen always breaks when they take it out), even doubled up on the sponge tape at botom.
and it still creeks/rubbs somthink as u drive.

Rang Steve he said come on here and see if anyone on here had screen changed and who by. He thinks that poss the replica (AutoGlass) screen isnt right and poss needs proper Audi screen and tape.
The noise is coming from the dash, B piller and top. Took fitter out and he worked if he pushed his had down firm behind screen it helps.
He cant belive it still doing it, never did it before we had screen changed.

PsYcHe
8th May 2009, 12:50 PM
Funilly enough.. I had mine replaced by autoglass couple of weeks ago and it creaks too... Might be that the 'replica' screen isn't quite right. Mine sounds like it's rubbing on the dash.

A8 Owner
8th May 2009, 01:44 PM
Funilly enough.. I had mine replaced by autoglass couple of weeks ago and it creaks too... Might be that the 'replica' screen isn't quite right. Mine sounds like it's rubbing on the dash.

intresting.+++

rang steve to tell him this, he said wait for a few others to reply to it, and see whos put them in. Then if we get a few from different companys, see if the numbers on screen r the same.
( I.E to see if they all use same screen or not).

DJStrange
8th May 2009, 02:21 PM
I had mine replaced a few months back (National Windscreens) and mine creaked too. I found that when I removed the plastic panel under the windscreen wipers and refitted it, the creaking stopped. After a couple of weeks it started again. That's where I think the creak comes from - I'll be having another go at it soon as it is starting to annoy me a bit, although I blame the state of the roads too - they're really bad round Uxbridge/Denham/Amersham.

A8 Owner
8th May 2009, 05:51 PM
well after steve got home he rang his friend in Germany who works for Audi.
He has just rang us back and we so say know the poss prob.
theres 2 things after market car glass companys dont do.
1:He said first its Alloy body so twists unlike norm cars and that they need/ should be fitted different.
2 the tape windscreen companys put at the bottom isnt the same as Audi. (AutoGlass tape sponge is about 5mm wide and thick and soft i think)
Know our autoGlass has also rang our friend Audi and Audi have confirmed to them there needs the Audi sponge before fitting (perhaps Ian might confirm this sponge also.) as we didnt see it before they pulled it out the first time.

So now after there chat, its now on order from Audi that will take upto 10days to get it.

P.S 4th time around think we got a rat in the car as its to loud for mouse.
AutoGlass did tell us one way to cure the noise.............. wait for it ................ turn the stereo on louder.

Architex_mA8tey
8th May 2009, 06:05 PM
LOL nice to know that Autoglass are at the forefront of car glazing technology. . .ahem :p

A8 Owner
27th May 2009, 09:25 PM
right update AutoGlass have put another screen in, but this time with the Audi sponge fitted.
Guess what .................................................. .................

No Noises +++

builder22
28th May 2009, 11:12 AM
Thanks for the update - i assume they covered all necessary costs etc. Or was this handled via your car insurance?

A8 Owner
28th May 2009, 07:44 PM
all down to autoglass as they give there work 19 yrs warranty with it.
4 screens about 10 out the way callouts (30/40 miles each way)
Bet they dont put a note on there records either for future A8's all around the UK.

Reffro
15th July 2009, 04:39 PM
Just had my screen replaced by Autoglass. No note on the job sheet about the sponge even though I specifically mentioned it when booking them. Fingers crossed they haven't c*cked it up.........

PsYcHe
15th July 2009, 05:25 PM
Mine seems to have gone quiet... Maybe I just got lucky, but will keep listening when I get in it (which is admittedly rarely now).

E.L.M.O
15th July 2009, 05:57 PM
makes me worried about having mine down now!

Reffro
16th July 2009, 05:19 PM
Just had my screen replaced by Autoglass. No note on the job sheet about the sponge even though I specifically mentioned it when booking them. Fingers crossed they haven't c*cked it up.........

Well its been in a day now and the initial few creaks have gone away. Proper job!