PDA

View Full Version : Major service due - what else would you recommend?

HPsauce
25th April 2014, 08:10 AM
My D2 S8 is almost at 80,000 miles and over 10 years since first registered (2003).
Audi "long-life" services up to now, so it's going to get the full treatment before the trip to Scotland for the June meet. The only major thing I've done to it since purchase is a gearbox fluid/filter change (non sucky-squirty) a few months ago, and I will ask for the levels to be checked again.

It will be done by an independent who definitely knows what they are doing (one of 2 or 3, not quite decided yet).

There is presumably a major service schedule covering oil, plugs, filters, etc. I'm asking for (or expecting) the following jobs as well:
Cam belt and water pump
Brake fluid
Fuel filter

But what else is "optional" and/or recommended?

M-A8
25th April 2014, 09:06 AM
Alternator belt, important
If cam belt then new tensioners would be ideal
Thermostat as well.
AC service
Coolant
Check steering fluid.

My last major service cost me something like 970quid.
But I always go over the top, each year longlife service plus changing most of the stuff each year. A bit @nal, I know, but can't help my self.

Goran
25th April 2014, 09:25 AM
I had my cambelt changed recently (not changed for 8 years), in addition to tensioner, water pump, thermostat, I asked for all rollers, and the eccentric idler too. It must be very very rare but if I remember correctly someone's eccentric idler let go, either on this forum or the one in the States. So for another £100 or so I would rather just have a new one. Oh and make sure they use the cam locking tool. You can not set tension correctly without it, the cam sprockets have to be free to roll as tension is being set. Paint marks just won't to.

HPsauce
25th April 2014, 10:43 AM
tensioner, water pump, thermostatAll that is on the list for my latest quote, plus the V-belt - is that the alternator one mentioned by M-A8?

I've booked it in at Fontain in the week after next, but want to make sure all sensible options are covered. +++

Goran
25th April 2014, 01:54 PM
The V belt runs the alternator, A/C, viscous fan, power steering pump. Its not engine critical so I don't usually worry about it much, I just change it when it starts squeaking too much.

For a 10 year old car I would definitely ask if they are changing the cambelt rollers, I think the S8 has 2 of them. They are not usually on the cambelt service list you may have to specifically ask.
The eccentric idler is another cambelt roller essentially, so you may want to change that too. Hopefully someone with more experience will comment, maybe the eccentric idler has a much longer lifespan than the other two rollers?

(My previous S8 went through 3 cambelt services for its sins, the 1st one by Audi dealer did not change the rollers, the 2nd one (because waterpump was being done) did not change the rollers, only the 3rd one at Unit 20 changed all rollers)