PDA

View Full Version : strange sticky brown stuff

briang9
21st May 2014, 05:45 PM
since fitting the 18" wheels a few weeks back I seem to be getting a strange thick golden brown syrupy liquid (smells sweet almost like marzipan and its damaging the paint on the wheels) coming from the valve hole area on three of them, took it back to the tyre fitter and he had no idea either, no air is leaking from them, anybody any ideas?

cheers+++

Lee S
21st May 2014, 07:34 PM
Cat pee? :ROFL:

David's8
21st May 2014, 07:57 PM
When you ask about brown stuff leaking out your valve hole area you are bound to get some amusing - or otherwise - responses. :)

My bet brian, is still that its something to do with the stuff the tyrefitters wipe around your rim before easing it on. oooeerr missus!

I had two tyres swapped over yesterday and the fitter plastered plenty of oily coloured liquid around mine before .... ah, bother, there we go again! I'll get me coat.:tuttut:

One of mine had a very slow leak caused by crud/corrosion around the wheel rim which caused very slow deflation. Have you monitored the pressure over a week or so?

briang9
21st May 2014, 08:10 PM
Cheers+++ I am sure your post was lifted from a 1970's Carry On film script David;)

I did take it to tyre fitter yesterday and he said no its not what they use and in any case it would not be coming out me valve hole (see its catching:o) the stuff they use is lighter and soap-like, whats weird is that it seems to be getting worse, almost like the wheel is generating pints of the stuff:tuttut:

Delboy
21st May 2014, 08:33 PM
Out of interest have you tried venting the tyre to see if its inside?

If it is, it may have been a dodgy compressor thats filled your tyres with goo

PsYcHe
21st May 2014, 08:46 PM
Have you used a different tyre dressing recently? Or a tyre cleaner?

I quite often get brown liquid off mine when I give them a clean.

Lee S
21st May 2014, 08:52 PM
Maybe the fitter's compressor was faulty and their oil trap not working and it's out of their compressor... still wouldn't explain why it was coming out the valve though...

briang9
21st May 2014, 09:17 PM
Out of interest have you tried venting the tyre to see if its inside?

If it is, it may have been a dodgy compressor thats filled your tyres with goo

no not tried that, but if no air is getting out I would not expect any gunk to either?

Have you used a different tyre dressing recently? Or a tyre cleaner?

I quite often get brown liquid off mine when I give them a clean.

no started before I used anything to clean them

Maybe the fitter's compressor was faulty and their oil trap not working and it's out of their compressor... still wouldn't explain why it was coming out the valve though...

this was my initial thought that the compressor was faulty, but as you say wouldn't explain leak from valve area and also why its only happening on three of them?

its a strange one!!

Architex_mA8tey
21st May 2014, 09:19 PM
Could this be some kind of solvent affecting the tyre and making run marks over the wheels? It kinda looks like runny tyre rubber colour

briang9
21st May 2014, 09:22 PM
Could this be some kind of solvent affecting the tyre and making run marks over the wheels? It kinda looks like runny tyre rubber colour

Don't think so Neil, I am sure its coming from the valve area, each time I clean it off and move the car, more of the stuff runs from the valve area, I guess as has been suggested I need to get the tyres off and take a look, sticking the 20's back on again soon anyway but the plan was to use the 18's as winters.

mannyo
22nd May 2014, 06:12 AM
What about the CV boots, could be worth getting them checked. The grease is that sort of colour. Try moving the ok wheel to one of the faulty corners and see if the fault moves to the good wheel.

The_Laird
22nd May 2014, 06:49 AM
Is it on all four wheels, Brian? If so, it surely must be the faulty compressor that's filled your tyres with oil. Can't imagine that multiple CV boots would go at once. Put the 20" wheels back on and take these back to the fitter. Get him to remove the tyres whilst you watch!

Dezzy
22nd May 2014, 07:25 AM
Pic 2 is the drivers rear? and pic 6 is the passenger front? so won't be a split boot, split boot will normally leave lumps of grease on the inside of the wheel.

Is it on all 4 corners? Tyre soap is normally lighter in colour but that said if fitted properly the fitter should have used a drop on the valves before pulling them through the wheel. It is weird nothing should leak out of the valve obviously or you'll have a flat. Have you cleaned the inside of the rim with anything?

briang9
22nd May 2014, 07:38 AM
not CV or related to anything on the car, had it all checked out, its only on three of them Jim, which makes it all the more strange. No cleaner used before it happened Dezzy

The_Laird
22nd May 2014, 08:20 AM
OK, I'd still favour the dirty compressor theory, coupled with re-used valves. So 3 of the valves are leaking and the 4th is sealed (but the tyre is still full of crap).

briang9
22nd May 2014, 08:23 AM
think that's my theory as well, though they are new valves, but what I don't understand is why is the fluid getting out but the air isn't?

The_Laird
22nd May 2014, 10:51 AM
Have you tried putting the wheel in a bowl of water (jack it up, then lower it until the valve is covered) to see if there are bubbles? It is strange, but I know I've had similar marks (but not as extensive), but don't think I ever identified what caused it.

Dezzy
22nd May 2014, 11:16 AM
I'm assuming you have a pump of some discription at home, so push the valve core in all the way with something and see if anything comes out under pressure.

I've put water in tractor rear tyres before air to give more ballast, but not syrup. Sure no one is playing silly buggers with you?

David's8
22nd May 2014, 12:12 PM
Are you suggesting that The Laird or myself are attempting to sabotage Brian's car by smearing treacle (black, of course) on his wheels? :tuttut:

Architex_mA8tey
22nd May 2014, 12:32 PM
well it IS his birthday today!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BRIAN!!! :mexicanwave::yippee:

briang9
22nd May 2014, 05:04 PM
Thanks Neil+++

tonupkid
22nd May 2014, 08:32 PM
Happy Birthday Brian :yippee:

Re the mystery brown stuff. Have you considered exorcism :ROFL:

briang9
22nd May 2014, 08:38 PM
cheers Nick+++

might be my next move:ROFL:

Dave McB
23rd May 2014, 08:23 AM
That looks like dirty water from inside a compressor.

Compressors draw in moisture with the air & theres usually a bleed valve which is meant to be drained.

Tyre valves can (and quite often) actually leak ever so slightly from the valve core (easily sorted by using a valve core tool.

That's the main reason for having a slow puncture.

Try tightening the valve cores & putting caps on +++

David's8
23rd May 2014, 09:49 AM
Where did the tyres come from by the way?

briang9
24th May 2014, 09:04 AM
bought them on-line David, fitted at local fitter I have used before

David's8
24th May 2014, 02:59 PM
Just wondered whether they had got some substance inside them when stored prior to fitting? That could account for 3 of them and not the other having the staining if one was not stored with the others ??

briang9
24th May 2014, 03:09 PM
its possible, they were delivered in two lots, just been cleaning them and its not compressor oil either. I think the only way to get to the bottom of it is to get the tyres removed and take a look inside. I am now wondering if the wheels are of a "double skin" type construction? and maybe something has managed to find its way between them? really clutching at straws now TBH:Confused:

briang9
3rd December 2014, 10:22 PM
well solved at last:D This stuff had damaged the paint on the wheels so took them in for a refurb. Turns out my "double skin" theory was correct, top of the wheels including where the valve sits is double skin and this stuff had got between the two layers, refurb seems to have got rid of it thank goodness+++