PDA

View Full Version : Aerial problem

Essate
29th May 2014, 01:26 PM
Afternoon all, I've just fitted an aftermarket stereo to my 2002 D2 and can't seem to get very good reception, is there an aerial amp that needs to be switched on or am I missing something?

Cheers.

HPsauce
29th May 2014, 01:32 PM
The aerial systems can be quite complex on an A8 depending what you have installed, and yes there are usually some aerial amps installed.
What was the original system in there and what other items are with it that might use an aerial (e.g. GPS, phone, TV).
Finally what aerial leads did you find and use and what aerials are visible on the car?

Essate
29th May 2014, 01:38 PM
Thanks, was a symphony non Bose, no sat navigation etc, does have two aerial leads though, but neither are any good...?

HPsauce
29th May 2014, 02:46 PM
I think the two leads are AM and FM, though I have read that on some versions both signals come down the FM lead, which is probably the larger one.
It will need power up the cable for the amps, which most systems should supply if configured correctly. If not you'll need an external unit to provide it; your stereo supplier should be able to advise on that.

Bandycoot
2nd July 2014, 06:15 PM
This is interesting. My radio has developed poor reception. Mine is the radio/sat-nav/TV type. (don't know what you call it.) Would the above apply to my problem?

IT
2nd July 2014, 06:22 PM
This is interesting. My radio has developed poor reception. Mine is the radio/sat-nav/TV type. (don't know what you call it.) Would the above apply to my problem?

The aerial amp hidden under the rear seats in the middle of the nearside C pillar often develops bad solder joints that leads to poor reception... swap the unit out and all is usually good.... ++