PDA

View Full Version : Swirl Flaps

ScottD3
31st July 2014, 07:10 AM
Random thought for the morning.

Has anyone had their swirl flaps removed/coded out?
Is it possible?

Anyone driven around with their swirl flaps unplugged?
Apart from the MIL being on, any other issues?

Claymore
31st July 2014, 08:57 PM
With you on this one mate.
So fed up with this hanging over my car.
I have studied and studied for months and not making any progress at all.
There has to be a simple answer/fix for at least some of the issues we have.
I've heard everything from replacing both complete manifolds, buy the repair kit, get new motors, buy upgraded manifolds, take them apart and clean them, extended warranty on some parts. You name it I've read it, but I can't get a good discussion going with a like-minded group of people to share all the experiences to date and bounce ideas/results off.
I'm quite prepared for the fact that it might take a month or two for a good discussion to yield anything if anyone else is..

B17NKA
31st July 2014, 10:59 PM
I bought the swirl flap repair kit from Audi £18 replaced both sides linkages and balls as my engine management light was permanently on, one side dead easy the other side bit more of a chew as its upside down, loosened off manifold , job done no more light on

Cheers Andy

ScottD3
1st August 2014, 08:33 AM
My linkages are not broken at the moment.
I'm going to remove them to see if the flaps are sticking.

I'm trying to track down the cause of a the surging.
Since it only happens at low revs while coasting, I thought I'd look at some possible engine bits like the EGR and swirl flaps that work at lower revs.

B17NKA
1st August 2014, 10:28 PM
Or ok, my linkages were not broken and I had no other problems apart from dash light on, I could get hold of. The linkages and feel them move when the engine was running

IT
2nd August 2014, 10:57 AM
The repair kit definitely helps. I used it on my Q7. The whole assembly is plastic, and the arms, whilst not broken, are subject to a lot of activity. They wear being plastic and get sloppy. News ones tighten it all back up again....

manca
12th November 2014, 07:59 PM
I'm having my swirl flaps coded out on Saturday alongside an engine remap.