PDA

View Full Version : Set cruise control and the car floored itself.

mattylondon
4th October 2014, 06:59 PM
Just a strange one off fault (I hope) today. I de-accelerated from a 60 to a village 50 zone, tapped cruise control on to keep me at 50 and the car down shifted and shot off back up to 60 before I hit the brakes to stop it. Anyone else had this before?

Architex_mA8tey
4th October 2014, 07:01 PM
Maybe you hit resume instead of set and it tried to get back to the last speed you had set? :Confused:

David's8
5th October 2014, 07:44 AM
I dont think that its a fault and its difficult to understand how you could hit the resume button (which requires sliding in the opposite direction) to hitting the set button on the end of the stalk. I am sure that I have have had this happen and think that if you dont brake or use the accelerator, the resume function seems to be the default action if of the set button? I will try this on the way home tonight.

HPsauce
5th October 2014, 08:32 AM
D3 David. ;)

David's8
5th October 2014, 08:57 AM
:D I'll get my coat and head back to the right section then. :o

mattylondon
5th October 2014, 09:45 AM
D3 or D2, I am sure it must be the same controls? Resume is flick stalk toward you and set speed is press in.

Neil, you maybe correct as I was using a higher cruise speed further back in the journey. Worrying that if it was resumed the car down shifted and used full throttle to get back to speed!

tonupkid
5th October 2014, 10:11 AM
D2 resume is designed to detach the fingernails of the unwary.
Seems odd it would downshift if resumed, 50 - 60 would be a gentle increase, unless you were heading uphill.
I wonder is the speed sensor misreported. Do they use the ABS sensors for that?

HPsauce
5th October 2014, 11:06 AM
D3 or D2, I am sure it must be the same controls? Resume is flick stalk toward you and set speed is press in.Nope. Quite different on a D2. ;) Stalk is only moved for other functions (lights, indicators), cruise is awkward slider and a button, rather non-intuitive (to put it politely :rolleyes: ).

mattylondon
5th October 2014, 11:24 AM
Nope. Quite different on a D2. ;) Stalk is only moved for other functions (lights, indicators), cruise is awkward slider and a button, rather non-intuitive (to put it politely :rolleyes: ).

Oh yes, quite different indeed! ;)

http://media.europaparts.com/catalog/product/cache/1/image/cd6085ca2ccd08373d4b6de971808fb4/4/d/4d0953513m01c.jpg

HPsauce
5th October 2014, 12:42 PM
Not wishing to digress too far, but there are even 2 versions of that D2 stalk and I believe they're incompatible.
That's the later version I think - the most visible clue being how the cable at the base of the stalk wraps round over the top as it goes into the block.

PsYcHe
5th October 2014, 02:28 PM
I can only think that you re-engaged cruise rather than re-set it.. Mine does it. it's even more fun with ACC where it will randomly decide that an object near you is an obstacle, drop 20 mph, then floor it to get back up to speed :)