PDA

View Full Version : Retro fitting D2 to D3 steering wheel.

Bandycoot
9th October 2014, 03:45 AM
Is it possible to change a D2 steering wheel with Tip buttons for the D3 steering wheel with paddles? I'm not a great fan of the Tip buttons as it is easy to change gear inadvertently when you don't want to. Also, you can change up and down using both buttons which I find to be awkward and unnecessary. If retro fitting is not possible is it possible to change the tip buttons so I can have one button for up shift and the other for down?

Thanks

Steve

ScottD3
9th October 2014, 06:55 AM
The steering wheel might physically fit but the main thing you will have issues with is the air bags.
D2 is single stage I believe and D3 is duel stage or twin stage. The D3 has extra cables going to the air bag. Some has wired up a single stage out of the two and got no errors but no idea if the airbag will detonate.

I'm not sure on the wiring of the D3.

You could remove a switch from each of the buttons or a cable.
So left is down and right is up or which way you prefer.

Bandycoot
13th October 2014, 03:34 AM
I thought this might be the case. I'll take the wheel off and have at look at the buttons and see what I can do. Ta.

ScottD3
13th October 2014, 08:40 AM
I have a theory.

If you can swap over the gas generators over from a single to a twin detonator you'll be laughing.
On the single stage air bags its only 4 bolts holding it in.
If the size of the hole and bolt spacing is the same its a pretty easy swap.

ainarssems
13th October 2014, 11:39 AM
While I really hope I will never have to experience airbag blowing up in my face I really would not want to mess with airbags at that level. Volume of airbag and holes for air evacuation might be different causing it to under or over inflate and then deflate in wrong rate if different gas generator and bag is combined.