PDA

View Full Version : LPG service

gninnam
30th October 2014, 08:39 PM
Had the LPG system serviced in the A8 today.
Would have been painless apart from the need to use a service kit on the vapouriser.
Ended up costing £279 all in, but the person who serviced it told me that the pressure was set to 2.4 bar - if the car was turbo or super charged then that would have been fine......

Wound it back to around 2 bar so I should see even better mpg so hopefully recoup the outlay in a few months.....

daviesbike
30th October 2014, 10:52 PM
Interesting ill be having mine done soon there also moving my tank from the boot to the wheel well as I've lost half my boot space. Recently been told you can have your lpg tank unlocked so to speak allowing you to fill to 90% capacity rather than 65% .

My 90L tank will only allow me to fill 58L of gas .. The extra 20L would be nice to increase range a tad

He will do that for me also +++

gninnam
31st October 2014, 08:01 AM
Wasn't aware of the unlock.
My 95l only allows at best 54l :(
The bloke said it should have been like yours with a tank at the end of the boot and probably 120l.
I have been getting 240 miles between fill-ups when doing lots of motorway runs but drops to around 190 on normal A/B roads, so hoping for a bit of an improvement.

Filled up in a garage yesterday near where I had the work done (Huddersfield) and they are only charging 56p a litre.., the ones local to me are asking 69p...... a big difference :tuttut:

steamship
31st October 2014, 11:58 AM
Wasn't aware of the unlock.
My 95l only allows at best 54l :(
The bloke said it should have been like yours with a tank at the end of the boot and probably 120l.
I have been getting 240 miles between fill-ups when doing lots of motorway runs but drops to around 190 on normal A/B roads, so hoping for a bit of an improvement.

Filled up in a garage yesterday near where I had the work done (Huddersfield) and they are only charging 56p a litre.., the ones local to me are asking 69p...... a big difference :tuttut:

I have a 125L tank across the back, and the most I've ever managed to get into it was 98 litres. Because we don't have much in the way of motorways here, and I do quite a lot of short runs, I get just over 300 between fillups. I average around 17.5mpg, whereas during the meet in June I averaged 21.3mpg.

Having said that, I did a very rough calculation the other night to see how much the LPG conversion is worth. Getting the job done cost me £1,500. I've bought 3,000 litres of LPG since then, and taking the price I used to pay for petrol per litre, I've saved around £1,800. So, in theory, it's paid for itself in less than a year. I know this doesn't take into account the current cost of petrol (which I have no idea of), or the fact that the LPG doesn't return the same economy as petrol, but it's a rough guide for me.

BTW My local charges 74.9p for LPG, which is one of the cheapest around. Have you checked out http://www.filllpg.co.uk/?page=lpg.php which gives a map of the LPG sites and their costs? It doesn't have 100% coverage, as it relies on users to update it, and I know one that isn't on it (and they charge 79.9p).

Architex_mA8tey
31st October 2014, 12:12 PM
Thats a useful site thanks +++
I cant believe some of the differences in cost! :rolleyes:

steamship
31st October 2014, 12:24 PM
Thats a useful site thanks +++
I cant believe some of the differences in cost! :rolleyes:

They also have an Android app, but the last time their site went down, the app drained the battery in less than a day. Took me two days to figure out what was wrong with the phone, as mine lasts 4-5 days.

There is also a website for LPG stations in Europe (http://www.mylpg.eu/stations/) that I just came across recently, which also includes a map and list of stations, as well as the type of LPG adaptor.

gninnam
31st October 2014, 04:06 PM
Yeh, used that site a few times plus I sometimes use this one http://www.lpgmap.co.uk much better I find.

The cost is crazy but ai suppose diesel an petrk vary quite a lot too:(

David's8
31st October 2014, 08:18 PM
Yeh, used that site a few times plus I sometimes use this one http://www.lpgmap.co.uk much better I find.

The cost is crazy but ai suppose diesel an petrk vary quite a lot too:(

You sure you havent been using ethanol Andy?

gninnam
1st November 2014, 03:18 PM
You sure you havent been using ethanol Andy?

Been off this week and vowed not to get the laptop out so have been using the tablet....:ROFL:

daviesbike
2nd November 2014, 10:47 AM
Yes the unlocking is a must do if you have lpg currently I get about 150-200 miles on a tank it simply will not allow me to fill it full it's 90L and at best I get 50-55 so it's nearly half capacity ill report back when it's unlocked. I'm sure Neils is unlocked and able to fill it full. It's a bit of a bug bearer on a long jurney when I have to fuel up 2 or 3 times when the beep of doom sounds the alarm and your back on petrol