PDA

View Full Version : 2002 S8 Boot won't stay closed/intrior light blinking

mark_le_b
12th November 2014, 10:16 AM
Hello all

Boot on my car doesn't want to stay closed - and I can hear what I think is the central locking pump cycling, so is constantly popping boot open?

Do you think this will be the CL pump at fault, or an actuator?

To stop it happening I have just disconnected the actuator, so I can only open the boot with the button and not on the key

Also, interior light comes on intermittently, so it must think something on the car is open?? Maybe this is unrelated, or down to a microswitch somewhere else?

I think the CL pump still cycles more than it should though

Any ideas welcome

Thanks

HPsauce
12th November 2014, 10:22 AM
I had problems with my boot latch, I think there's a thread here somewhere about it.
Some bits inside were broken and a replacement from our sponsors sorted it, very easy to fit.
Your problem may be different of course. ;)

Have a read through this thread, I described my problem (briefly) towards the end. http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4835

David's8
12th November 2014, 10:26 AM
VCDS scan would help identify any issues - if you have access to VCDS? The pump cycling might be a leaky air hose - but the light issue points to a door not being indentified as closed which might, as you suggest, be a microswitch problem.

The_Laird
12th November 2014, 10:33 AM
Yep, it's likely to be the microswitch in the boot latch. Happened twice to me. Replacement is a little bit fiddly but quite straight forward.

mark_le_b
12th November 2014, 10:38 AM
I had problems with my boot latch, I think there's a thread here somewhere about it.
Some bits inside were broken and a replacement from our sponsors sorted it, very easy to fit.
Your problem may be different of course. ;)

Have a read through this thread, I described my problem (briefly) towards the end. http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4835

Hi
Already tried swapping latches - so have ruled that out (prob should have said that in original post!)

mark_le_b
12th November 2014, 10:39 AM
VCDS scan would help identify any issues - if you have access to VCDS? The pump cycling might be a leaky air hose - but the light issue points to a door not being indentified as closed which might, as you suggest, be a microswitch problem.

I don't have that - where can I buy that?

HPsauce
12th November 2014, 10:40 AM
As I noted in that thread I linked to, it's more likely to be the fragile plastic mechanism that actuates the switch, especially as if broken that can jam the latch/actuator and cause the failed locking issue.
As I think also said there it was actually easier to leave the existing microswitch wired in (popping it quickly out of the latch mechanism) when replacing the latch. If you buy a spare and examine it you'll see what I mean and how easy it is.

If anyone does actually want just the microswitch itself (with lead) I think I have at least one working spare, probably two.

Oops missed this! Already tried swapping latches

mark_le_b
12th November 2014, 10:41 AM
Yep, it's likely to be the microswitch in the boot latch. Happened twice to me. Replacement is a little bit fiddly but quite straight forward.

Is it part of the latch itself, because I've tried swapping that already and still same issue. Unless they both had an issue of course
If microswitch is separate, where do I locate it and the part number to replace?
Thanks

HPsauce
12th November 2014, 10:44 AM
Yes the switch is part of the latch - the bit with the lead and plug on it - but trivially easy to extract. You would have remembered having to disconnect it, as well as the release cable of course.

As noted in the thread I linked to the first replacement latch I bought from A8parts had the same fault, they replaced it immediately.

Have a look at the old latch if you have it and see if the plastic return spring I described is intact. It's very easy to see if you pop the microswitch out.

mark_le_b
14th November 2014, 08:28 PM
Yes the switch is part of the latch - the bit with the lead and plug on it - but trivially easy to extract. You would have remembered having to disconnect it, as well as the release cable of course.

As noted in the thread I linked to the first replacement latch I bought from A8parts had the same fault, they replaced it immediately.

Have a look at the old latch if you have it and see if the plastic return spring I described is intact. It's very easy to see if you pop the microswitch out.

Thank you - I will have another go at it this week-end
Regards