PDA

View Full Version : Which glasses for S8 Facelift aluminium mirrors?

Soulbrother
16th November 2014, 07:49 AM
Hi guys,

I recently got a pair of S8 Facelift aluminium mirrors. Both sides are big. But they came without glasses. Now I'm wondering which glasses will fit? On the mirror arms, there are the two small red connectors and one big black connector. Looks like all three must be connected to the back plate of the glass, but no matter where I look, I can only find glasses with the two pins for the two small red connectors. They all seem to be missing the male or female black connector that fits the one comming from the mirror arms.

The mirrors are electric and heated. Just like my old standard mirrors.

Does anyone know what kind of glasses i should be looking for?

Thanks

// Peter

Architex_mA8tey
16th November 2014, 07:57 AM
It sounds like the wiring for the photochromic mirror glass that auto dims when car headlights behind shine onto it too brightly. I would imagine that one cable is for heated function and the others for that. Good luck with a search for the auto dimming glass second hand as they are a horrendous price new and as rare as hens teeth second hand, but you could always choose to fit standard heated-only glass and cover off the other wires with tape etc to weather protect them etc. +++

HPsauce
16th November 2014, 08:30 AM
+1 Don't bother with dimming exterior mirrors. I'm happy with just the internal one. +++
(My S8 external ones failed so now just have normal, the Focus only has internal dimming anyway)

I was in my son's S4 last night which has fully-working dimming mirrors and actually didn't like it as it cuts down wider vision both sides and really all you need to do if there's a bright gleam (very rare) in the drivers side mirror and you need to look at it is move your head a tiny bit.
But as the sensor is in the centre mirror it works at the wrong time for the side mirrors anyway, so a near-total waste of time IMHO.

Goran
16th November 2014, 11:49 AM
On my previous S8 I had A8 non-dimming mirrors (without the plastic border surround). I had concave or convex mirrors, although you can buy flat mirrors too.
They fit just fine. Also I feel they gave that little bit extra field of view.
No need to plug in the dimming plug, just tuck it away and maybe wrap it in electrical tape to protect from moisture.
I am soon changing my current S8 dimming mirrors to non-dimming A8 mirrors, the plastic surround really bothers me.

David's8
16th November 2014, 03:00 PM
My passenger side auto dimming mirror failed (the liquid in the glass sandwich drained out) and I replaced it with a standard flat heated mirror and just taped/tucked the wire connector away . The drivers side is still good but its not a function i would pay for. (Internal mirror auto dim is another matter.)