PDA

View Full Version : Smoking A8 and EGR Light on

Diablo
28th November 2014, 09:29 AM
Guys,

For some time, the engine management light intermittently has been coming on and then going off for weeks, without any running problems.
The light is now staying on, smells of strong exhaust fumes and occasionally smoke when in traffic.

A friend put his diagnostic on it and it had a code related to the EGR valve and something to do with insufficient flow.

Any thoughts or advice on how to get this resolved?

Thanks in advance for your help.

ainarssems
28th November 2014, 10:17 AM
Disconnect MAF and see if there is any improvement.

Diablo
1st December 2014, 10:32 AM
I will try that today and report back.

Thanks bud.

Diablo
20th January 2015, 12:38 PM
Hi Guys,

I still have this problem. It’s getting a bit desperate as the MOT is due in a few weeks…
In summary:

1. For the last few months the ECU warning light has been coming on intermittently and the car had a strong smell of fumes (a really acrid, overpowering smell)

2. The car now gives a lot of white smoke in traffic and if I rev the car at idle.

3. It does not seem to give off any smoke under load. The performance and fuel consumption seem normal.

4. The ECU light in now permanently on.

5. A local garage did a diagnostic and a code relating to insufficient flow came up.

6. They checked the EGR and it was clean. They performed a pressure test and it functioned correctly. The disconnected the MAF and that did not make a difference.

7. All the pipes were clear except for the EGR pipe where it comes back into the throttle body. That was badly clogged. He cleaned it out. The car ran a little better, but the ECU warning light stayed on.

8. The diagnostic was re-run and it is now suggesting a faulty throttle body.

Before I fork out for a new throttle body, can anyone throw any more suggestions at me? +++

snapdragon
20th January 2015, 02:14 PM
and the engine designation is....?:Confused:

Diablo
20th January 2015, 02:16 PM
Oops...It's a 3.0tdi (2005/6)

Adrian E
20th January 2015, 05:36 PM
Did it/does it have a DPF?

Are they using VCDS or similar, or a generic code reader to diagnose?

Diablo
20th January 2015, 05:40 PM
Hi,

Yes, I am informed that the car does have a DPF. The garage used an Audi diagnostic. I think it was VCDS.

Many thanks.

Adrian E
20th January 2015, 06:01 PM
Sounds like the entire EGR system needs checking over - by the sounds of it whatever cleaning they did has moved the blockage further up the system and clogged some part of the inlet system.

mazm3
20th January 2015, 06:04 PM
Youll need to repace the EGR valve. Cleaning doesnt work from experience

Diablo
20th January 2015, 06:23 PM
The EGR valve was checked and was 'like new'.

The only blockage was as the EGR pipe plumbs back into the throttle.

So it sounds like the throttle body could be a problem, possibly inlet manifolds?

Diablo
7th April 2015, 10:36 AM
Guys,

As a follow-up, the fix was a replacement throttle body. I picked up a new one in Germany for about £100. Popped it in and no more smoking or warning light.

Hope this might help someone else out.

Burnzybubbles
7th April 2015, 11:43 AM
Guys,

As a follow-up, the fix was a replacement throttle body. I picked up a new one in Germany for about £100. Popped it in and no more smoking or warning light.

Do you have a link on the throttle body of you don't mind? Thanks.

Diablo
7th April 2015, 11:47 AM
Do you have a link on the throttle body of you don't mind? Thanks.

Sure. He accepted a €133 offer from me. Be sure this is the correct part number for your car.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Throttle-Body-Audi-A4-A5-A6-A8-Q5-Q7-For-VW-Phaeton-Touareg-2-7-3-0-TDI-/171675536393?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item27f8a8cc09

Burnzybubbles
10th April 2015, 12:58 PM
That's brill, thank you.

Burnzybubbles
25th April 2015, 10:43 AM
Guys,

I also acquired said throttle body, it runs fine, don't think it's oem but it has 24 months warrants and moving the butterfly it felt and sounded like metal not plastic gears but without taking it apart I couldn't tell for sure, iv got a silent shut off again and no EML light and I'm pretty sure tick over is better now :)