PDA

View Full Version : carphone aerial removal

andycaca
5th December 2014, 10:30 AM
hello chaps :)

i want to remove the carphone aerial from the rear quarter on my S8. the carphone has previously been removed and the massive aerial sticking up is quite unsightly.

first off, i assume i am correct that the RNS aerials are integrated into the rear screen for TV/FM/MW and the whip antenna is solely for the phone?

i can remove the aerial easily enough, and all the gubbins underneath, but that will leave me with a great hole in the body. is there an official blanking kit or something to replace the antenna?

thanks everyone

andy

ps. drove the S8 for 120 miles around norfolk yesterday, LOVED IT :D

HPsauce
5th December 2014, 11:18 AM
I think that's right, but just disconnect it in the wing first to make sure.

andycaca
5th December 2014, 11:22 AM
what about the massive hole it leaves? shall i install guttering and water filtration to convert it into a drivers drink store? :):ROFL:

Architex_mA8tey
5th December 2014, 12:40 PM
why not just get a little stubby bee-sting type arial instead to sit on there?

andycaca
5th December 2014, 01:11 PM
good point. something i hadnt really considered, or known that much about.
cheers :)

moltuae
5th December 2014, 01:36 PM
I recently changed mine for one like this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Universal-Car-Modification-Aluminum-Carbon-Fiber-AM-FM-Radio-Aerial-Antenna-/301413563252

It's not a perfect fit, nor is technically a phone aerial (though I still get good reception with it, using my old Nokia 6310i car phone) but it looks pretty neat.

Short of filling the hole and repainting the entire panel, any other solution is gonna be a bodge. Personally, I like to either keep cars original, or do mods that can easily be undone. I've still got my original aerial in case I decide to put it back ... and the original aerial will handed over with the car, should I sell it some day.

The_Laird
5th December 2014, 01:59 PM
I've got a wee stubby one too! :D

(further innuendos to follow ....)

See attached photos

andycaca
5th December 2014, 02:44 PM
stubby aerial bought. cant resist a nice bit of carbon fibre :)

the car is getting treated to new engine vac hoses this weekend and a bit of an inspection, i shall remove the bulk of the aerial gubbins at the same time.

The_Laird
6th December 2014, 08:44 AM
the car is getting treated to new engine vac hoses this weekend and a bit of an inspection, i shall remove the bulk of the aerial gubbins at the same time.

Before and after photos please. :)

andycaca
6th December 2014, 02:17 PM
Before and after photos please. :)

ok :)
for the benefit of others who might be tempted to replace their vac hoses, the correct stuff can be bought from halfords for a few quid

its the 3.4mm braided fuel hose. i prefer the outerbraid because it gives decent scuff resistance when the hoses rub across the engine.

weather dependant, i will change the hoses tomorrow.

ainarssems
6th December 2014, 11:06 PM
ok :)
for the benefit of others who might be tempted to replace their vac hoses, the correct stuff can be bought from halfords for a few quid

its the 3.4mm braided fuel hose. i prefer the outerbraid because it gives decent scuff resistance when the hoses rub across the engine.

weather dependant, i will change the hoses tomorrow.

I would not recommend those, they are normally for diesel spill off hoses, they have thinner walls and can collapse with time under atmospheric pressure with high vacuum inside especially when they get hot and softer. If you look at hoses that are specifically deigned for vacuum they have much thicker walls. But if you have a version with thicker walls or specifically designed for vacuum then obviously it will be fine.

Goran
7th December 2014, 02:12 PM
can a stainless steel stud be screwed into the aerial thread instead?

andycaca
8th December 2014, 07:49 AM
I would not recommend those, they are normally for diesel spill off hoses, they have thinner walls and can collapse with time under atmospheric pressure with high vacuum inside especially when they get hot and softer. If you look at hoses that are specifically deigned for vacuum they have much thicker walls. But if you have a version with thicker walls or specifically designed for vacuum then obviously it will be fine.

bit late now, i replaced most of them yesterday. it looks like the job had been half done before, as the hose i was using (you're right, it is diesel spill off hose) looks identical to the hose that was on my engine - but was not the original audi stuff.

pic of of the original audi hose, showing how it breaks down. the original hose has the white stripe around it. the replacement is an all black outer. the ID and OD of the hoses were identical, so the walls arent thinner. it could well be a different rubber compound tho.

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/553271_776924202379468_5919222478396138064_n.jpg?o h=5c545917bd9030a13680065c6e1687e2&oe=5511CD8F

link to the job guide sheet:http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articles/enginemechanical/vacuumhosereplace.html
its easy, as long as the engine is cold and you remove all 3 engine covers. just remove one at a time and cut new lengths to suit. there is one vac hose that goes down the front of the engine behind the belts and plastic covers, no way can you get to that without removing the front covers and serpentine belt

what i used.
https://scontent-b-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/l/t1.0-9/q85/p417x417/10421181_776924122379476_531974301294882693_n.jpg? oh=72f858368bb52db7cf495ff7223eed0f&oe=551BEDD5

Goran
8th December 2014, 01:28 PM
I got this stuff 2 years ago but haven't needed to fit it yet. Very thick walled not going to collapse, and no woven coating to decay. Hopefully lasts longer than rubber.

http://www.bakerprecision.com/hosetech.htm