PDA

View Full Version : A8 D2 bonnet

hkallas
4th June 2009, 07:27 PM
Hello,

The bonnet on my A8 PF D2 from 1997 is damaged, so I have bought a bonnet from a facelifted 1999 model. Does anyone know if it can fit on my car or have I made a mistake buying this?!

Hope anyone can help!

Oli18
4th June 2009, 08:34 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3004/3025122249_9f8781348e.jpg

Hi hkallas,

Welcome to A8 parts mate. +++

Unfortunately, they are 2 different shapes as the headlights are different on the pre-facelift vs the facelift as you can see in the picture above.

You could try A8 parts as they will most likely have the part you need.

Do you have any pictures of your a8? Also, we have our annual meet (http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=827) this sunday with over 40 owners if you fancy joining.

-oli

hkallas
4th June 2009, 09:04 PM
Thanks for your reply, but will it fit if I buy the facelifted headlights?

Oli18
4th June 2009, 09:11 PM
You'll also need the facelift wings as well as the bumper i believe. 1 guy (dave from a8 parts) has done it before but he works at an A8 breaker. For anyone else, this would not make sense financially to do i wouldn't have thought.

-Oli

hkallas
4th June 2009, 09:22 PM
I can see what you mean, but I have (by mistake) bought the hood. Soo I thought it would be fine if it could fit. I have studied the two pictures, for me it seems like the dimensions on the two hoods are the same, but the only difference is the grill, that is a bit smaller on the facelifted model!!

Could I be right or am I completely wrong??

Conan_the_Librarian
5th June 2009, 07:39 AM
I can see what you mean, but I have (by mistake) bought the hood. Soo I thought it would be fine if it could fit. I have studied the two pictures, for me it seems like the dimensions on the two hoods are the same, but the only difference is the grill, that is a bit smaller on the facelifted model!!

Could I be right or am I completely wrong??

I'm afraid your new hood will not fit as the wings are slightly different and the headlights also.

To get your hood to fit you will have to change the wings, headlights and front bumper. Talk to A8parts and they will be all to happy to help. The bonnet is by far the most expesive part and the job is not that difficult to do.

hkallas
5th June 2009, 10:30 AM
I'm afraid your new hood will not fit as the wings are slightly different and the headlights also.

To get your hood to fit you will have to change the wings, headlights and front bumper. Talk to A8parts and they will be all to happy to help. The bonnet is by far the most expesive part and the job is not that difficult to do.

Thanks,

I have written to A8parts and Dave, but still no reply!

hkallas
5th June 2009, 10:58 AM
And for me the shape of the wings seems to be different only near the lights at the sides. The rest seems identical. Look at the picture of the two cars here.

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=275&d=1244199496

A8_Tony
5th June 2009, 11:25 PM
It's a big job fella, and I wonder if it might be worth you trading in your bonnet for one from A8Parts?

Keeps the cost down, and is by far and away a lot less hassle +++

Also don't forget, that if you're a member of the A8 Owners Club (http://a8oc.net) you get free shipping +++

hkallas
6th June 2009, 09:56 AM
It's a big job fella, and I wonder if it might be worth you trading in your bonnet for one from A8Parts?

Keeps the cost down, and is by far and away a lot less hassle +++

Also don't forget, that if you're a member of the A8 Owners Club (http://a8oc.net) you get free shipping +++

Thaks for your reply,

But my question is if anyone knows for sure that the bonnet of a facelifted A8 doesn't fit on af pre-facelifted model, as I by mistake already have bought one :-( Thanks

Mkoneman
6th June 2009, 11:09 AM
as stated a few times already it will not fit a PF there are a few differences that mean the there will be gaps where there shouldn't be for exsample there is a larger cut out on a facelift bumper that the bonnet sits into so your bigger bonnet wont fit into your pre facelift bumper and other things mentioned above

hkallas
6th June 2009, 04:21 PM
as stated a few times already it will not fit a PF

It seems that there are different opinions about that!!!
Here Dave's reply to my mail:

HI there

The facelift bonnet will fit, but you will need to make some modifications. The way the bonnet fits around the headlamps is different on the facelift cars so you may have a small gap, or it may be a little too tight in places around the headlamps. You won't need to alter the wings, unless you want to alter the headlamps, and there is a small chance you will get away with it. You will definitely need a facelift grill as it is a different shape. At present we don't have a facelift S8 grill in stock I'm afraid.

The facelift conversion that we have done here was a complete swap, so headlamps, bumper, wings and bonnet. We haven't actually just swapped the bonnet on its own, so I cant give you a 100% answer either way. I can see why the guys on the forum are saying it wont work, but I still think there may be a chance that you will get away with it.

Good luck, and sorry we cant give a definite answer.

Kind regards
Dave

So I think I will give it a try next weekend and give you a status on the outcome!

Conan_the_Librarian
6th June 2009, 04:42 PM
Roger that. Please post your experience and good luck.

hkallas
14th June 2009, 02:18 PM
Update: Have now tried to mount the bonnet and it doesn't fit. The piece around the grill is too wide, giving problems with the headlights :-(

Thanks for your help +++