PDA

View Full Version : Headlight upgrades!!

mazm3
12th February 2015, 06:32 PM
Probably a very popular question on here but what are my options on upgrading my headlights?

I have the original 1995 small headlights with separate indicators. Im not massively bothered about wiring xenons in just want something a bit newer/fresher maybe with the indicator built in?

It doesnt have to be pure OEM either

What are my options?

PsYcHe
12th February 2015, 07:57 PM
You're pretty much stuck with them.. Though you can easily retrofit HIDs in there.

You 'could' retrofit the facelift ones, but then you need to replace the bumper, wings, and bonnet :)

mazm3
12th February 2015, 08:27 PM
Oh dear. Perhaps its easier and less hassle to just to buy a FL:rolleyes:

Actually.. wheres the fun in that? I need to paint it anyway.....:ROFL:

IT
12th February 2015, 08:30 PM
Facelift lights wont fit as the whole front end changed slightly.

There were a factory xenon option in late 1998 but they're rare. I've seen 2 cars with them in 8 years....

Replacement bulbs / HID kit is the most common option deployed... +++

HPsauce
12th February 2015, 08:32 PM
I've seen 2 cars with them in 8 years....One of which (see sig pic) you bought off me a couple of years ago. ;)
Would our sponsors have all the relevant bits in stock still?

It's quite an interesting "transitional" setup in that only the dipped beam is HID.
And to change the main beam or even sidelight bulb you have to remove the ballast from the back of the headlight, a far from simple process that the warning labels imply should be left to a dealer. (I didn't)

IT
12th February 2015, 08:39 PM
One of which (see sig pic) you bought off me a couple of years ago. ;)
Would our sponsors have all the relevant bits in stock still?

Yes, that's 50% of the Xenons I've ever seen +++

I believe David had squirreled them away for a possible upgrade on the pearl at some point but later favoured keeping the Pearl original I think......

Norretal
13th February 2015, 02:17 PM
You're pretty much stuck with them.. Though you can easily retrofit HIDs in there.

Did the HID retrofit to my PF, not very expensive and a signifcant improvement in the light quality and "look" when "white" sidelight bulbs are added alongside +++

ainarssems
13th February 2015, 02:25 PM
It's about time now to forget about HID's and start looking at LED's, another 'upgrade' is to take the lights a part and give them a good clean inside. To be fair dipped beam is not that bad but full beam is $h1te on PF D2's

HPsauce
13th February 2015, 02:32 PM
full beam is $h1te on PF D2'sUnderstatement of the year I reckon. :D

The guy I bought mine from had readjusted the whole headlight setup (he was driving it mostly on the near continent) so that the dipped Xenons were elevated to a main beam.
For normal driving in town or with oncoming traffic he used the front fogs, which those who've had PF will know are actually in the headlight cluster so hardly anyone would realise the trickery.

I decided to revert to standard "as designed" use but did replace the pathetic main-beam bulbs with something a bit better (but legal). Even then they weren't great. :tuttut:

ainarssems
13th February 2015, 02:45 PM
I decided to revert to standard "as designed" use but did replace the pathetic main-beam bulbs with something a bit better (but legal). Even then they weren't great.

I have 'for offroad use only' 100w main beam bulbs instaed of factory 60W and still you barely notice difference switching on full beam next to dipped aftermarket HID's.

Lloyd
13th February 2015, 04:39 PM
Have to admit ,my PF triple halogen wouldn't let you take a leak in the dark . I generally have to drive dipped+Fog where I can't use main beam