PDA

View Full Version : Contactless Tyre fitter reccomendations

Goran
2nd March 2015, 11:25 AM
Does anyone know of or can recommend any tyre fitters in London who use those contactless machines to remove old tyre an put on the new one?

In my area Kwik Fit and some independent places use the large metal flat bar type thing to lever against the rim, no way am I going there.

This place does use the contactless machines but is a bit far from me (I'm in south east London)

http://www.wheels-inmotion.co.uk/contact-blackboots.php

Thanks

HPsauce
2nd March 2015, 11:30 AM
That was the nearest I could find (though I'm out that way).
Over the phone the other day they quoted £25 + VAT per wheel to fit my own tyres.

I think there's a place in Ruislip too, but again wrong direction for you. :-(

Goran
2nd March 2015, 05:47 PM
I also heard Event Tyres have Hoffman machines which don't touch the wheel with metal.
But looking at their site they only fit tyres bought from them, hmmm.
I'll keep looking.

Adrian E
2nd March 2015, 06:53 PM
Try wheel refurbishers - generally have better kit and know how to get tyres on without damaging them. Place I use is near Gatwick, so probably a bit far for you. They put a plastic guard on the edge of the wheel as the tyre goes over to protect it - works well :)

Goran
3rd March 2015, 11:04 AM
Well I booked into Wheels in Motion in the end, its a treck but I don't want damage.
Which is the Gatwick one you use Adrian, just out curiosity?

I cant believe there aren't more garages with these touchless tyre machines.

Adrian E
3rd March 2015, 11:22 AM
Wheel works (and tyre works) on manor royal trading estate nr Crawley

ainarssems
3rd March 2015, 11:42 AM
In my area Kwik Fit and some independent places use the large metal flat bar type thing to lever against the rim, no way am I going there.

They don't have to lever it against the rim. My tyres was done at the local place on the antique machine and without any damage for the total of £25 for 4 tyres including balancing. You just place the arm or whatever it is called couple of mm away from the rim so that under pressure it still does not touch the wheel and you lever the bar against the arm of the machine not the rim. Any half competent tyre fitter should know how to change the tyres without damage to the wheels.

The_Laird
3rd March 2015, 12:55 PM
That's my experience too, Ainars. Even the Kwik Fit boys can do a good job and not mark the tyres.

Goran
3rd March 2015, 03:49 PM
Thanks. Maybe I'm going over the top travelling to get tyres fitted by a special machine.
If only I knew of a local fitter I can trust I wouldn't mind. The previous car did have its rims scratched by fitters who don't care, and who use metal tipped tools against the alloy.