PDA

View Full Version : How to restore body work strips

RanjS8
22nd April 2015, 07:17 PM
The chrome strips on my car are looking a bit oxidised. I was wondering does anyone know how to restore them. Are they actually made of chrome or aluminium?

The_Laird
23rd April 2015, 04:49 AM
Sergey did a thread on this. A search on the forum should find it.

I've cleaned mine wheel a good chrome cleaner and coated them in wheel wax!

Edit: here it is: http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4587

He powder painted them in the end

RanjS8
30th April 2015, 10:05 PM
Well after some googling and watching some you tube videos on polishing aluminium, I finally found the answer in a little kit i bought from halfords.

http://www.halfords.com/motoring-travel/cleaning-body-repair/rust-removal-treatment/policraft-alloy-brass-copper-polishing-kit

I used the kit with my drill and with a little patience the oxidised aluminium strips were turning into a mirror finish.

Great little kit....I m sure could probably source the bits for cheaper on ebay but I did really have time to wait.

Sorry no pics was late in the day but you will defo be happy with the results!!!!!

Professor Peach
1st May 2015, 09:48 AM
Good to hear Ranj - I'd love to see some before and after pictures when you get some time! +++

notorious
2nd May 2015, 08:22 AM
Unprotected alu will get milky in a couple of months. A salty winter will ruin it.

David's8
3rd May 2015, 11:11 AM
It sounds good and its great if you have found something to sort out the problem you have. The problem is that the milky effect (which frequently is the issue which has been raised many times in the past) occurs below the lacquer finish and that you have to remove the lacquer to deal with it. My trim on top of the bumper below the boot lid was really bad and it took some serious effort with wet and dry to remove the lacquer and get a good finish on the bare ally. I then spray coated with lacquer. It was OK (but not good) but has lasted quite a while.

Cornershop
3rd May 2015, 12:05 PM
Has anyone tried chrome wrap on these parts?

RanjS8
3rd May 2015, 02:14 PM
I have to admit i was totally unaware of the lacquer coating...so will need to address that issue....but i was very impressed wit the ease i got the mirror finish back.