PDA

View Full Version : I broke my boot!

Palmer
5th May 2015, 04:40 PM
Only had the car a day...

Accidently left the boot open, stopped the car and got out, went to shut the boot and heard a *ting* noise rather than a *click* boot sprung back open so i stupidly gave it a whack to shut. Im thinking the prong was stuck and i just slammed it and jammed it.

So key doesnt work in lock, remote open does nothing, switch in car does nothing.

I know im screwed, but how badly?

HPsauce
5th May 2015, 04:45 PM
Ski hatch?

Delboy
5th May 2015, 04:58 PM
Time for for the tin opener? I can't see you getting to anything of any interest through the ski hatch opening.

Scott broke something to do with the pull down motor on his but I don't think he had any issues with opening and closing.

If you can get it open by pulling on it while key fiddling etc then i would consider cut an access hole behind the number plate to let you at the latch.

Hopefully someone will have a better idea.

Goodluck

Palmer
5th May 2015, 05:05 PM
I did see something on a previous thread i googled about undoing the rear light from the ski hatch (very long sockets!) and that gives access to all the motor / gubbins etc

Delboy
5th May 2015, 05:38 PM
Sorry, I keep doing posting things without noticing its a different chassis.

Yes apparently you can do that on the D2

HPsauce
5th May 2015, 05:46 PM
So do you actually have a ski hatch to work through?
If not it's not "that" difficult to open the hole up from inside the cabin.....

Palmer
5th May 2015, 09:13 PM
Crisis averted. Pushed hard on the boot whilst the Mrs pressed the boot release - eventually popped open :)

Cornershop
5th May 2015, 09:26 PM
Crisis averted. Pushed hard on the boot whilst the Mrs pressed the boot release - eventually popped open :)
Congrats :)

Wonder if there is any preventative maintenance that can prevent such a failure. My boot sounds a bit 'clangy' when closing it, not the reassuring clunk you get when closing doors.

Is this normal?

HPsauce
5th May 2015, 09:44 PM
Having had mine apart (and replaced bits) several times I can say that the main parts are pretty robust.

But there is a plastic return spring that can break and make it non-lockable.
And if parts of that fall into the wrong place it "could" possibly end up locked shut, though the breakable bits are plastic and reasonable force (as above) would probably get it open.

The release mechanisms could just conceivably all be detached, but pretty unlikely TBH.

The only maintenance I can think of would be to take the catch off and inspect and lubricate it. If worn/faulty just replace it. All pretty simple to do.

oldnick
6th May 2015, 05:26 PM

is she a big girl ?

Palmer
8th May 2015, 11:28 PM
So my dash today keeps telling me my boots open even though its not.

Is there a sensor somewhere?

HPsauce
9th May 2015, 09:32 AM
Yes, a small microswitch built into the latch in the boot lid.
Most of the latch is metal but there are some small plastic bits that can break and potentially jam the mechanism.

I'd buy a whole replacement unit (switch included) from A8parts before taking it off to investigate. That's what I did when I had similar problems, the actual switch itself turned out to be fine. £13.99 posted at present.

If you do buy one take it's plastic covers off and check it carefully for broken/missing plastic bits (before dismantling your car) as they are not always obvious. The first one A8Parts sent me was actually faulty and they sent me another straight away without fuss.

Palmer
9th May 2015, 04:40 PM
Cheers dude ill get one ordered!

Boot button doesnt work either, it worked when i bought the car as thats how i opened the boot. Could this be connected?

Chris

HPsauce
9th May 2015, 04:51 PM
Just possibly, but less likely. You need to take a close look at what actuates the release mechanism with boot lock button, remote key and drivers door button. Which exactly work or not, how is the security coded and how is the boot key lock set (RTFM ;) )?

Palmer
9th May 2015, 05:44 PM
It works on the popper (fob) but not on the one by drivers seat or button on boot. Hmmm investigation time!! Lol

HPsauce
9th May 2015, 05:52 PM
Is boot lock vertical (mine is RTFM!)?

Palmer
9th May 2015, 07:37 PM
Yeah ive put the key in to turn it both ways doesnt make a difference lol

HPsauce
9th May 2015, 10:17 PM
Summats broke then. Odd combination of failures though...... :Confused: