A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D3 - Body and Exterior (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Solar sun roof (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=12618)

ScottD3 2nd February 2017 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IT (Post 123688)
No, the D2 had nothing in it. Some of the very early ones had the loom that ran half way up the A pillar, but non of the sunroof trays have wiring.

But, the solar panel and metal roof were virtually identical. The solar roof has basically two metal contacts that make contact at the very front of the worm drive rail cover. The cover was the only difference on the D2, and each side was bolt on/bolt off held on by a handful of T20 bolts.

You could swap the whole tray, but its a pita to drop the headlining properly, and officially you need to remove the rear windscreen to get it out as Audi deemed the passenger door method (D2) put too much strain on the material and would crease it.

Then, you have to be uber meticulous about reinstalling it all to prevent squeaks which are particularly annoying at head level.

If the D3 is like the D2 and could be done in situ, you could save a lot of time. I don't have a D3 handy at the moment to look at....

The only good reason I can think of for removing a head liner, is to install an alcantara one +++

My sunroof is broke. It wont close unless you force it. Even opening it is a pain.

I'll take a look at mine and see about the contacts removal for future people.

IT 2nd February 2017 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottD3 (Post 123689)
My sunroof is broke. It wont close unless you force it. Even opening it is a pain.

I'll take a look at mine and see about the contacts removal for future people.

Ah ok. That's a game changer....

Feedback on the possibility though may help others +++

I had a D3 sunroof wouldn't close once. Turned out a piece of road grit had jumped in the rail whilst I was on the motorway and it was jamming the screw. Took some finding. The car was cling film wrapped for 2 nights whilst I figured it out! Its quite unusual to see a D3 with a sunroof issue....

ScottD3 3rd February 2017 05:55 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I went out to the garage this afternoon to take a look at the sunroof, get my head around what's happening and where all the plugs.

I then noticed that the front left drain thingy was broken.
Closer inspection I noticed the whole front plastic section was cracked from the drain tube up to where the wind deflector motor is normally mounted.

it looks like I can remove the front section of the sun roof. Which isn't to bad if it the one from mine will fit.
I can still have a solar sun roof but how do I remove it?

Does anyone know how to remove the sun roof glass?

homer simpson 7th June 2018 06:07 PM

Hi Scott, did you ever complete this? Was it difficult in the end?

ScottD3 11th June 2018 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homer simpson (Post 142372)
Hi Scott, did you ever complete this? Was it difficult in the end?

I got the glass pain in but not done much more because my sunroof decided to break.

I can't move it back any more, I can only tilt it.

I got to get a new cassette at some point and start again.

mannyo 11th June 2018 07:34 AM

Scott, you'll need to get some sort of sunroof working. The only easy way to clear the front drains of dirt is to open it and push air down from the top, or it's remove the front wheel arch liners and clean from the bottom.

My sunroof used to be reluctant to open and close, the cause was hardened lubricant. Once I had removed most of the old lubricant and redone it all, the roof opens and closes perfectly.

ScottD3 11th June 2018 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mannyo (Post 142609)
Scott, you'll need to get some sort of sunroof working. The only easy way to clear the front drains of dirt is to open it and push air down from the top, or it's remove the front wheel arch liners and clean from the bottom.

My sunroof used to be reluctant to open and close, the cause was hardened lubricant. Once I had removed most of the old lubricant and redone it all, the roof opens and closes perfectly.

I've already cleaned them twice already by doing it with the arch. I don't really want to do it again. I hate removing that washer bottle.

The sunroof is broken. It creaks, clunks and bangs when moving. Its got so bad I have to use the tool to close it.