A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   Daily banter (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   S8 D3 v10 engine (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=15740)

IT 22nd June 2020 01:00 PM

So, for my two penneth here.

I saw this thread over the weekend, but sadly it was beyond the initial post and into some comments already. Had it had been the initial post on its own, I would have squashed it as having no value.

But, once seen and commented upon, the value was to allow a counter post from the previous owner(s) to defend the rather pointless outrage that the new owner felt he had to share, clearly after he had disposed of it to some one else.

I would have said the post wasn't necessarily directed at Sean, until Sean confirmed he had unfriended him.

It remains my personal opinion that Sean had the car for a relatively short time, and certainly a limited mileage, so seems likely the issues arose much earlier in its lifespan.

This thread doesn't affect the high regard I have in Sean, any cars he may sell in the future or his standing on this forum.

I'm happy to leave, or remove this thread, entirely at Seans discretion +++

homer simpson 22nd June 2020 06:21 PM

Just to add, my initial posts were simply to find out who's car it was previously. It's clear Sean is a straight up guy. He even helped me with an issue I had via PM without me approaching him, what a gent.

I would not hesitate to buy a car from him.

steamship 23rd June 2020 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IT (Post 158218)
I'm happy to leave, or remove this thread, entirely at Seans discretion +++

Ian, I'm in two minds what to suggest, but I'd rather explain my thinking first.

Firstly though, I'd counter that the post wasn't directed specifically at me, given that the OP never once tried contacting me across multiple platforms (phone, TXT, email, forum or Facebook) about the issue. Likewise, the likelihood of previous owners of the car also being members of this particular forum are slim (yes, N11LS_J was a member on here, but his last post was in February 2018 after I picked the car up), so in all probability, it was directed at me.

Options
1. Simply delete the thread, irrespective of the number of replies - Pro: original post served 'no value' as you say, and OP never tried contacting me / Con:it's effectively sweeping the potential problem for the new owner 'under the carpet' should they ever find this forum and the OP never told them about it.

2. Lock the thread, 'warts and all' - Pro:Again, if the new owner finds the forum, then they will be made aware of the issue raised by the OP, but given that the manifold gaskets were replaced (as stated in the ad), the new owner might assume that there is no work needing done under them / Con:it besmirches (had to look that word up to make it sound good!) my name, but unfortunately it's something I'm used to (but that's another more painful story) for trying to be helpful.

There are certain pros and cons against each option, but given my nature of trying to be a 'good sod', I would rather see the thread locked. I would rather have the new owner find this thread and then get the engine cleaned, rather than have them drive the car thinking it was fine, and then be faced with a catastrophic failure.

That's my suggestion Ian. However, as moderator, I leave the final decision in your hands.

IT 23rd June 2020 10:53 AM

Thread locked as requested.