A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Interior Electrics (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Indicator dies not reset after turning. (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17026)

RICKY D 19th May 2023 09:09 PM

Indicator does not reset after turning

After I make a left turn the indicator stalk does not return to its off position and the indicator remains on.

I’ve been told the stalk is faulty and I’m trying to locate a second hand one on eBay. Do I need the whole assembly like in the link below?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255290049...Bk9SR_rR_d2GYg

I couldn’t see any listings from prestige but I will drop them a message once I know what I need.

MikkiJayne 19th May 2023 09:22 PM

I have found that the indicator stalk and clockspring wear in together over time. The result of this is that if you change one of the two, you get this problem where the indicator fails to cancel in one or both directions, but when you take it apart the mechanism appears perfectly functional.

A matched pair like that listing is ideal as they tend to continue to work together. Whenever I take them off a car I will keep the stalks and clock spring together so they can be transplanted as a unit. You do need to recode the steering angle sensor in VCDS though if you swap the clock spring, which can be a bit tricky.

RICKY D 19th May 2023 09:29 PM

Thank you MJ. Although I’m not familiar with the working of these, I can certainly follow your logic.

I will have a chat with David as DS Autowerkz and see if that’s a job he can do before purchasing. +++

MikkiJayne 20th May 2023 07:06 AM

Sorry, should have explained. The indicator cancelling lever is triggered by the clockspring, not the steering wheel, hence why they appear to be able to 'wear in'. The clockspring is indexed to the steering wheel with two pins.

David should certainly be able to swap the parts and recode the ESP. The process is a little fiddly but well documented.

sarg 20th May 2023 10:54 AM

Don't use the indicators, problem solved :ROFL:

monkeyboyuk 20th May 2023 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarg (Post 173017)

Thought that was only available option for bmw drivers? Oh wait I just remembered your new daily……

RICKY D 20th May 2023 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarg (Post 173017)

Last time I looked I had an Audi badge on the car and not a BMW one :ROFL:

RICKY D 13th July 2023 03:10 PM

I had a good condition used unit fitted by a garage and the indicators are working as they should now…..but, as with anything D2 related, for every one step forward you end up taking 2 steps back :rolleyes:

1. The unit I found doesn’t have cruise control (my mistake) but I wasn’t too fussed about that because the D2 cruise control is awful.

2. The cowling has captive nuts which the plastic around it has disintegrated and it no longer sits properly and makes the most irritating noise everytime you turn.

Slowly losing patience with this car. I may well just park it up and leave it in the garage until I have motivation again in 2030 :)

Conan_the_Librarian 13th July 2023 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RICKY D (Post 173623)

Slowly losing patience with this car. I may well just park it up and leave it in the garage until I have motivation again in 2030 :)

Give it me? Throw off the things that depress you!

RICKY D 13th July 2023 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Conan_the_Librarian (Post 173625)
Give it me? Throw off the things that depress you!

Mike, the way I’m feeling at the moment you may well get a call mate :ROFL:

The amount of money I’ve thrown at it the last year would make me feel sick if it did go. I need some time to consider before I do something I may regret in the future.

RICKY D 16th July 2023 07:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I did a little investigating today and stopped having a tantrum. The top part of the cowling was just perched on top of its normal position and just lifts up. The bottom section seems to be fixed in place as normal but the two most noticeable….and very irritating issues I have are;

1: The steering has gone from feeling very light and easy to turn to quite stiff and almost restricted now. Not a nice feeling at all.

2: A very audible clicking noise when steering has now began which wasn’t there before.

Are both of these issues due to the new indicator unit I had fitted? I’ve attached a video…hopefully it uploads ok.

p.s. I’m back to throwing tantrums again :-( and looking for a new car to make me feel better :D

steamship 17th July 2023 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RICKY D (Post 173649)
2: A very audible clicking noise when steering has now began which wasn’t there before.

p.s. I’m back to throwing tantrums again :-( and looking for a new car to make me feel better :D

Now that does sound bad. I'd be inclined to say that the replacement is faulty, and would refit your original one again. You did say it didn't cancel left turns, but that's a lot better than the replacement.

I have a similar issue with right turn cancelling, but it's intermittent (works probably 90% of the time), and I just live with it. There are other issues with my car, but finding solutions to them is problematic, but I don't want to give it up.

RICKY D 17th July 2023 08:02 PM

I won’t be asking the garage to fit the old unit back. I don’t believe in fitting known defective parts and then paying for that privilege.

I probably won’t sell it, but I’m going to leave this parked up for some time whilst I switch focus to my e30 project instead.

RICKY D 19th January 2024 04:38 PM

UPDATE:

The replacement squib went faulty and I had to get another fitted :rolleyes:

At the same time the ABS and traction control lights appeared….not sure if coincident?

I just got the car back from DS Autowerkes and the indicators from the replacement squib are now working, however I still have an ABS and traction control light on the dash….and I now also have a large flashing red warning circle on the DIS which I didn’t have before.

Dave at DS Autowerkes said that he couldn’t clear the ABS fault. I will attempt to write what he then explained to me :D

He would clear the fault and re-code the ABS but the moment drive was selected it would lose its coding and the dash errors would reappear. I don’t know if that makes sense to anyone? This is all I need just when I’m trying to sell the car - another fault finding mission that cannot be solved :rolleyes:

steamship 19th January 2024 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RICKY D (Post 174550)
At the same time the ABS and traction control lights appeared….not sure if coincident?

I just got the car back from DS Autowerkes and the indicators from the replacement squib are now working, however I still have an ABS and traction control light on the dash….and I now also have a large flashing red warning circle on the DIS which I didn’t have before.

The following thread hints at changing/removing the steering wheel will throw up and ABS and traction control lights. There is a procedure listed for resetting the Steering Angle Sensor.

https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...tes-Don-t-work

However, your mention of the large flashing red warning on the DIS would imply something more serious, as it's only one of four such red warnings displayed on the DIS.

Just found another post which said that the ABS loses its coding when the slip ring is disconnected! The following video from Ross-Tech explains the procedure for recoding it... and hopefully sticks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7YRiVYrLjo

RICKY D 19th January 2024 08:07 PM

Thanks for the links Sean. Interesting reading.

I spoke to the garage owner who’s an ex D2 owner himself and very familiar with the platform. He has all the Audi dealer spec software and ran through the correct procedures to clear the faults but was confused why the coding was disappearing after the wheels were moved.

This thread came to after a Google search and sounds similar to the symptoms he was getting.

https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=10964

Maybe I need to replace the ABS module/ECU?

On a side note, Dolph is driving beautifully now with the correct squib installed…despite the Christmas tree lights all over the dash :ROFL:

Raising the suspension so it’s the equivalent of a 30mm drop plus chunky tyres on the original 18” Avus wheels makes for an epic cruising machine now :cool:

RICKY D 19th January 2024 08:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is what I’m dealing with :Confused:

Airbag light came on after Christmas…apparently passenger occupancy sensor. Tried the forum “fix” by Andrew but didn’t work for me.

ABS & TC lights also came on after Christmas. Will need to fault find these.

Headlight level sensor. Appeared after coilovers fitted. Tried good quality used item up front but dash warning still persists.

Big red flashing warning error on DIS. New warning from today. No idea what this even is :Confused:

No one is buying this with all these warning lights :ROFL:

RICKY D 19th January 2024 09:25 PM

I believe both of the below items from our forum sponsors fit the D2 S8

Shall I buy them and take it back to DS Autowerkes to fit?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/176047602...mis&media=COPY

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/196091154...mis&media=COPY

steamship 19th January 2024 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RICKY D (Post 174555)
Big red flashing warning error on DIS. New warning from today. No idea what this even is :Confused:

Seems to be a more significant issue than the other two lights. The manual just states that it 'indicates a danger', accompanied by three chimes, and to stop the car. The manual also mentions that this warning light can appear if the brake fluid level is too low.

RICKY D 20th January 2024 05:40 AM

I will double check the fluid levels a bit later Sean (I’m sure Dave would have spotted if it was low doing all his checks)

I think it’s a coding issue or something similar as Dolph is actually driving better than ever right now. The brakes are nice and solid (for a D2 anyway!)

Every time I fix an issue with this car 2 or 3 more issues then arise.

RICKY D 20th January 2024 06:10 AM

https://www.audifans.net/ftopict-33959.html

Another interesting read from an old post on Audifans. Very similar to what I have experienced. I think I will try the ABS control unit replacement first. I’ve messaged our forum sponsors to check if they have one compatible with an S8.

By the time it does sell, Dolph will be running better than ever and someone else will get to enjoy it after I fixed all of the issues :ROFL:

steamship 20th January 2024 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RICKY D (Post 174558)
Every time I fix an issue with this car 2 or 3 more issues then arise.

It doesn't want you to sell it. Will be interesting to see what happens next.